iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sharpening info.

Started by woodsdog2015, September 17, 2015, 12:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsdog2015

I have a stihl hand sharpener guide for my .325 chain.  Can I use that same file holder or guide and the associated raker gauge to file my 3/8 chain with the right sized round file? or do I have to spend another $30 bucks for the Stihl kit for the 3/8 chain for the appropriate file guide and raker gauge guide?  I like to sharpen in the woods so  I just figured I could supplant my file guide with the right round file(s) for each chain type.  What do you folks do who are weekend warriors and wood heat cutters like myself?  I'm sure the pros have a whole kit but I'm trying to go as lean and low cost as possible.  Thoughts and ideas welcome.
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

beenthere

I just use the file.. no Stihl guide.

However I do use the pferd roller guide that the file rolls on, as it gives me good depth (IMO).

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodsdog2015

Thanks, what do you use  to check the raker height in relation to the cutter? 
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

beenthere

Use a flat file and the gauge is on the roller guide... see the notch for "Soft" on the flat plate just below the round file. Each raker sits in the notch and flat file off what lays above .
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Pine Ridge

Beenthere that file guide in your picture looks like one of the husqvarna combi tools i have, handy thing to have. I've never saw one with the pferd brand, may be the same with different brand name.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

beenthere

That is right, but somewhere along the way seems I've seen the Pferd name get attached. But don't see it now.

south central Wisconsin

Pine Ridge

Yes thats the same one i have, i don't use it much but it does work very good when i do.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

HolmenTree

Pferd has done well in the industry as Stihl has rebadged their file guides also.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SawTroll

Quote from: beenthere on September 17, 2015, 01:22:53 PM

However I do use the pferd roller guide that the file rolls on, as it gives me good depth (IMO).

The most important part of that guide is the raker guide, that is progressive and the best one out there. Remember that each version is designed for specific Oregon/Husky chain models though, they aren't "universal". The raker guide works fine on Stihl RS/RM chain though, close enough for me.

I don't use the "roller" part much though, only for "mass filing" of damaged cutters. For normal sharpening of cutters, it is preferable to file free-hand, and watch closely what you do to the cutters. I use file handles with angle indicators on them, and that is close enough for the top plate angle. ;)
Information collector.

49er

Quote from: SawTroll on September 18, 2015, 08:23:28 PM
Quote from: beenthere on September 17, 2015, 01:22:53 PM

The most important part of that guide is the raker guide, that is progressive and the best one out there. Remember that each version is designed for specific Oregon/Husky chain models though, they aren't "universal". The raker guide works fine on Stihl RS/RM chain though, close enough for me.

The best one out there? Have you used the Carlton file-o-plate? And if so, in what way is this one better?

Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

SawTroll

Quote from: 49er on September 18, 2015, 09:07:06 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on September 18, 2015, 08:23:28 PM

The best one out there? Have you used the Carlton file-o-plate? And if so, in what way is this one better?

Yes, I use the Carlton FOP on the few Carlton chain I have. For tge rakers it works basically in the same way (both are progressive) - but you don't have the option for soft or hard wood settings.
Information collector.

woodsdog2015

Ok all good information I appreciate the help.  I was thumbing thru the owners manuals for both saws.  The depth gauge for both the MS251 and the MS362 are the same item numbers in the Stihl OM; however, the file holder model number in the manual for the 3/8" round file is different so I can just pick up a new file holder for the 3/8" and I'll be set.  Any of you Stihl afficionados out there agree or am I missing something?  Thanks for the continued help.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

WoodBurner19

Hi woodsdog2015!

I run a Stihl 190. I have a logger deliver about 20/20' long logs at a time. I have about 8 saw chains that I sharpen myself. I use a dremel in my shop & go out to the pile with all 8 sharp. The dremel works great & is quick.
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

woodsdog2015

Hey Woodburner 19,

I'm burning the midnight wood tonight   :P, you said you run a dremel tool how do you keep the angle for that?  Is there a guide or something they sell?
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

Haggis

I am just learning but I am trying to learn to free hand my filing. So far I have had good results. Here is what I try and do when freehand filing.

1. I hold the angle of the file so it matches that of the marks on the top of the tooth and keep this through the entire pass with the file.
2. I give a slight upwards lift to the file so it doesn't drag on the link of the chain but not enough where it will pop off the tooth.
3. I make sure to apply even number of strokes to each tooth with the same pressure.

Also I will look at the chain and start with the tooth that is in the worst shape so once that is filed appropriately I now know how many strokes to apply to the other teeth to keep each tooth the same length.

woodsdog2015

Good suggestions Haggis, thanks.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

Thank You Sponsors!