iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

good day gone bad

Started by pasbuild, September 25, 2004, 08:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasbuild

IT started out just like any other day, my wife and I went and did a little drywall work on the house were working on then we went and looked at some property were looking at buying after that she headed for home and I went to my friend Timmys mill to cut up some of my Ash to bring home with me.
loaded up the truck grabbed a couple of pops and my shotgun  for my ride through the woods and headed for home about a 70 mi. ride. Thats the good part, the bad part came about 2 miles from home, just went through town heading home on the 5 lane highway when I had to slow down for some road work, there was some bridge work going on and they had half the bridge block off. Well as I braked to slow down my left rear wheel flew off hitting another truck going in the opposite direction I lost half of my brakes and my truck was a little overloaded :-[ so it took a little distance to get the truck to a stop, YOU GUESSED IT I came to a stop in one of the two lanes open on the bridge. I blocked traffic for about 45 min. on the busiest state highway in the UP at one of the busiest times of day.
The up side to this is I got to see a bunch of my neighbors as they waved fingers at me. :-[    
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Paul_H

Uff da.
That is a tough break.What happened afterward,did you get towed or could you patch up the truck and limp home with the load?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

DanG

Well, as they say in the Old Country, DRAT the luck! >:(

Any idea why the wheel decided to part company wit de truck? ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

shopteacher

Ouch! What a tough brake. No pun intended.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Paul_H

I lost a wheel off of a F150 when I was younger.The truck had taken on a vibration that I chose to ignore.As I came around a corner,I saw a wheel that looked a lot like mine,rolling off into the bush.When I slowed down a bit,the front driver side dropped and flattened off the rotor.

I learned a valuable lesson that day but I can't remember now, what it was.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

J_T

Paul could it of been don't slow down ??? :D :D
Jim Holloway

Buzz-sawyer

Once i was taking my kids to school when they were young, and was suprised to see a tire PASSING me at 60 mph... :o :o :o :-[A farmer stopped, and jacked up my jalopy, I robbed 1 nut from each wheel and took off in 15 min 8) 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

chet

Pasbuild,
Did ya make da TV6 News.   :D   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

pasbuild

by the time the truck came to a stop there wasn't enough left to the hub and brake parts to put it back together :( I asked two young guys that were behind me to stop at the gas station that was about one mi. down the road and have them send out there wrecker but they didn't stop >:( the wrecker wasn't called until the police called from the seen. My neighbor 4 houses down from me was driving the wrecker and gave me a ride home after we got back to the gas station.
have to go and get my tools and wood out of the truck first thing in the morning.

etat

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

I lost a set of DUAL wheels off of a 78 ford one ton one time.  The dang ole thing had a ladder rack and flat bed and always made all kinds a rackets.  But it was a GOOD ole truck.  Positive traction, dana rear end, and a big motor,  and would pull it's tail off. AWFUL on gas though.

I'd noticed a new racket and made a mistake and didn't check it out.  Come to find out it was an outside wheel bearing going bad, and that's what holds them wheels on, along with a washer and a nut.  Once the center wears outta that bearing it'll slide over that nut, that is if yer going down the road. .

I wasn't going very fast and when it passed me oh no, didn't just stop in a road ditch or something.  It rolled off a bank, into a channel of water and decided to go down stream a hundred foot or so before coming to a stop.  The water mostly wasn't over a few inches deep, mostly.

Me and the guy I had with me like to have never wrestled them dang wheels outta that channel and back into the back of that truck.

Then we finally got a wrecker to pick us up and bring the ole truck home.

That night we worked pert near all night straightening that axle and trying to cut some threads back where it flattened out so's we could get a nut back on it.  Kinda left a few parts out cause we decided we didn't need brakes  on that side.

Finally got that nut back on and tacked it with the ole welder. Also we plugged off that break line with a little tack. Had it back together before morning so's we could go roof and turn a dollar.

I'm a think I drove that ole truck about another 6 or 8 months before I decided to upgrade a bit.Sorta had a pronounced wobble on them right rear tires, and they'd wear out real quick.  

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SwampDonkey

:D :D

I was in a Toyota Land Cruiser that lost a rear wheel. It rolled down the road ahead of us and struck one of them 6 foot tall plastic reflectors on a sharp curve. Left a skid mark on the reflector, which was funny at the time. The tire coming off wasn't so funny, as it did, the spare bounced up and struck one of the passengers in the back of the head. Well, we missed the ferry ride we were gonna take across the channel, had to wait an hour. What I later noticed was that hardly an original lug nut was left on that wagon. We robbed lugnuts from the other wheels and put the tire back on.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

slowzuki

Saw a cherokee lose a c-clip out of the diff one day on the highway.  He got stopped when about 2 ft of axle shaft was sticking out :o

Wudman

This kinda stuff can get pretty scary.  I was following an empty log trailer through a residential section of Waverly, VA one day.  I noticed one of the driver side rear wheels on the trailer wobble a couple of times and then excuse itself from the trailer.  We were running about 35 mph.  The wheel bounced down the center line of the highway for almost two blocks before veering to the left, through a yard and up onto the porch of a house.  It struck a porch column knocking it completely down, hit the side of the house peeling some vinyl siding and sheathing, and bounced off and pruned a few boxwood bushes.  The old fellow in the house, came out to see who was knocking on his door, saw no one and went back inside.  From my perspective, it was all pretty comical, but it would have been a deadly situation had a person or vehicle been in its way.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

VA-Sawyer

QuoteI blocked traffic for about 45 min. on the busiest state highway in the UP at one of the busiest times of day.
The up side to this is I got to see a bunch of my neighbors as they waved fingers at me.  

I've been to the UP.... there ain't many people up there... I'm guessing that you were waved at by maybe 8 or 9 folks during that 45 minutes. And you probably knew them all by first name.  ;D   What you all call rush hour....we would consider deserted highway.  ;)
I lived in  Alcona county MI for 10 years. There is one stop light in the whole county. People visiting from the UP considered our roads to be "packed with traffic " .  You all should try it down here for a while.  This place makes the Detroit drivers look good !
VA-Sawyer

pasbuild

This happened on US 41 in Marquette population 22,000 heading towards Chocolay twp. pop. 8,000 and I think half of them were on the road that day ;D I had the traffic backed up out of site coming out of Mqt. and about 1/4 mi. towards Chocolay. It wasn't all bad though I watched some fishermen fishing the Carp river for awhile and I had a nice view of lake Superior and the Mqt. harbor ;)

OneWithWood

Comical story in some ways.  Glad no one got hurt.  What became of the truck your tire got acquainted with?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

shopteacher

Never had a wheel come off, but had a dump truck with a gas guage that worked like a true false quizz.  It's showing a quarter tank. True or False?  I found out one day it was false on I 70 where the interstate crosses the Monongahela River. Ran out of gas half way across smack in the middle of the bridge.  The bridge is on a long grade and the only way to get off was to drift back to the beginning of the bridge.  Have you ever drifted backward into 65 MPH traffic?  Man all I could hope for were them 18 wheelers to go around me and not overtop.  The good Lord was with me that day.  Sold that truck not long after.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

pasbuild

OWW the police took our insurance info and sent us on our way, I haven't heard anything from anybody yet.

Quartlow

Boy do I know that feeling, had a rear bearing in a one ton chevy van come loose once. Didn't lose the it the whole way got stopped with a foot of axle hanging out of the rear end, that wast the dood one.

Was coming cross us 62 between Salem and Akron once with the Semi and lost a complete set of duals Off of the tag axle. :o
I just happened to be looking in the mirro when they went, big puff of smoke and away they went passing me up. Watched them roll through the median up the bank on the other side, back down the bank across the road, then back again up the bank on the other side back across the road and came to a rest in the ditch on my side.

Luckily it hit no one but It scrared the crap out of a bunch of folks including me. I managed to get it rolled back up to the truck and it took me 2 hours to get it drug back up onto the trailer by myself with a couple chains and binders.

shopteacher
you picked a fun place to run out of gas on ;D theres a tone of traffic period on the road!!
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

pasbuild

Well were back on the road, new hubs new brakes new backing plate new brake line new studs and new nuts, $462 and didn't get my hands dirty ;) My question is does this make my $1,500 wood hauler worth more ???

Tom

Only if you have someone trying to get you to buy a new truck. :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!