iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Way of moving firewood in my pick up

Started by Brad_bb, September 16, 2015, 10:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I'm looking for a way to load and unload firewood in my pick up that doesn't require a forklift.  Are there some kind of box frames that you can build that can be loaded and unloaded at a unit from the truck without needing equipment?  I haven't done firewood before but have some logs that I'll be splitting for firewood and need to deliver to family.  I really don't want to load each piece by hand and they have to unload it piece by piece by hand.  This is relatively small scale and not for selling.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jeff

The exercise will do you good.  That's about the only exercise I got last winter, was cutting, splitting by hand, stacking, re-stacking when piles fell over and waiting for the mother in-law's truck to come, then loading and stacking into her truck.  I think in this case, the physical work is much better than trying to get out of the work. If I can do it, you certainly can.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

rjwoelk

Brad that would be called have some one else do it for you  :D ;D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Brad_bb

I do enough back breaking work.  I try to work smarter, not harder.  You still have to load the box with wood, the only trick is being able to unload the box of wood in one neat fell swoop out of the truck.  I would imagine someone on here has done this before, no? 

sawguy21

Could you build a box for the truck, tie it to a tree and drive the truck out from under it? You would probably want to remove the tail gate first.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

NH-Murph

Maybe one of those hand crank unloaders they make for pickups?  If you had a small retaining wall or embankment you could back up to, maybe you could load with a wheelbarrow and crank it out with the unloader...

Rick Alger

Years ago I did what sawguy suggests to bring home ends and pieces from a job.   I put a 1/4 cord box on the rear third of the truck body with the back face open. The truck had a liner so it slid out fairly well once I took the tailgate off. The wood tumbled into a pile with the box on top. Sometimes it was a bit of a pain to free the box.

Brad_bb

I was thinking something like a refrigerator dolly with two rails on bottom that slide on the tailgate- a long box 18 inches widex7' maybe that slides out and when it gets half way off the tailgate will tip down to the ground.  Now just to figure out how to keep the end on the tailgate from slamming onto the ground....

rjwoelk

Brad just throw the wood into a mini bulk bag the pull it off at the other end. They have loops on top to tie to. My customers have done that, we do load with the forks at our end.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Brad_bb

But wouldn't the impact beat up the  bag pretty quick?  Seems like the one I saw was just basic cheap box store tarp material.  Am I wrong about that?  I want to be able to reuse again and again.

jwilly3879

Load Handler. Unload an 8' box in a couple of minutes.

rjwoelk

Get the ones from feed mills or from a farmer that has had seed in them. I use a vented bag, used for seed potatoes.  They hold about a 1/3 of a cord, venting helps for drying.

clearcut

Carbon sequestered upon request.

beenthere

clearcut
That was a neat way of hauling and unloading.
If one wants to dump it all in one spot, could just back up instead of pulling forward, and I'd think the box would just stand straight up.

Interested in what Brad_bb thinks of it.  ;)

With firewood, instead of the endgate, could just stack the splits across the end and toss in the rest of the wood. No gate to remove.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Philbert

square1

Quotethey have to unload it piece by piece by hand
You just have to get them to come over and load it. You're way ahead of me already.  Family for some reason thinks since I loaded it, I should unload AND stack it for them too!   ::)

Corley5

Is this a short term thing just for a few logs or will it be an on going activity?  If it's just for a few logs or a couple truck loads just get it done.  The time spent devising an easy off loader may be longer than the time it takes to get the firewood project done.  If you're planning on doing this for a while get a dump trailer.  You'll have many more uses for it beyond firewood.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

Brad_bb is prolly cooking up another instructional video to add to his "stable". He likes doing them and maybe they pay off in the long run. And I may be all wrong with that assumption too. ;)

Will be hard to top the one shown in the clearcut link.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brad_bb

It's a "from time to time" thing.  So ongoing sort of.  Besides the current small logs I need to cut and split, I cut my sawmill slabs up to be used for firewood.  As sawyers know, that's an ongoing thing too.  I started by stacking on pallets, which are easy enough to load in my truck.  But I need to wrap the stack with something to keep it from collapsing and going all over in the bed, and then there there is the unloading and stacking.  I don't want to unload it piece by piece and stack it for them.  I don't want to make them do more work than necessary either.  That is why I was thinking something like the boxes to keep it orderly and in one unit that they can maybe move with a 2 wheel dolly? 

Logging logginglogging

Just do the work....
lol people from IL....

bigred1951

Simple. Get a dump truck or dump trailer. Problem solved

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

John Mc

One trick I've seen for loading a pickup truck depends on having a wood splitter that has a fixed wedge o the end, with a moving flat ram, so the wood gets pushed off the end of the splitter. Take a section of plastic culvert and split it in half lengthwise. hang one end right off the end of your splitter to catch the split wood. Put the other end in the back of your pickup truck. As the pieces are split, they land in the culvert. The next piece split pushes the first one up the culvert, and so on. With each split, the culvert slowly fills up, until the wood gets pushed out the other end, into the truck. THe idea is you are using the splitter to push the wood up the culvert section. You do have to hand-throw the last few piece out of the culvert and into the truck (or leave then for the next load)

Combining that with clearcut's unloading method might be interesting to try.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!