iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mahindra 3550 HST Tractor

Started by submarinesailor, September 15, 2015, 09:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

Was wondering if anyone out there has a Mahindra 3550 HST tractor?  Do you have any comments pro or con about them?

Its a 49.5 hp hydrostat with 41.5 at the rear PTO.  The front loader is listed at 2700, 200 over what I has looking for, and the rear 3 point is rated for 3090.  It weights right at 5400 lbs...don't know if that's with the tires loaded or not.  Need to find out.

One thing I like is that it has a tier IV diesel WITHOUT having to use DEF.

The warranty is 2 years front to rear and 5 years or 3,000 hours on the power train.

PLEASE let me know what you think.

Bruce

NH-Murph

I drove one around a little bit at the dealer when I was tractor shopping.  It was a nice machine, and I think it would make someone looking for a 50hp class HST tractor very happy.  I wound up choosing a 4540.  I just prefer a plain old gears and clutch transmission.  The tier 4 motors like to run.  Extended idling and just futzing around causes the emissions equipment to load up, and you wind up getting a bit of smoke until you work the machine a bit.  I wound up throwing a couple codes, and it turned out to be a bad fuel cap, but my dealer came right out and took good care of me.  Once you stop babying it, it really runs nicely.   I am very happy I chose a Mahindra.  I spent months and months looking, drooling, test driving and shopping.  I tried out more tractors than I can remember, and couldn't come close to the bang for your buck you can get with Mahindra. 

submarinesailor

submarinesailor

Well...... I went and did it.  It's on order and should be here late this week.  Pricing it was funny.  Most of the dealers within 250 miles were within a couple thousand dollars of each other.  But the one down in North Carolina that FLATLY stated that "they would not be under sold" was almost $10,000 higher than my best offer.  Thought that was a little interesting.  HOPEFULLY it well turn out to be a good work horse for me because I have a lot of things needing to be done.

Now if I can just find some time to play with it when it isn't raining.  The weather guessers are calling for off and on rain for the next 7 days.  Also its really hard to saw when you are in mud up to your backside.

PM me if you want the dealer and pricing info.

Bruce

thecfarm

Sounds like a good one. But most are good.  :)  First tractor?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

submarinesailor

Quote from: thecfarm on December 22, 2015, 06:50:59 AM
Sounds like a good one. But most are good.  :)  First tractor?

Yes, first tractor that I have owned.  But I have a LOT of time on a JD 4520, 4420 and 4120.  Plus several long hours on a Case 580K/L.  The 4520 is about the same HP, but about 1000 pound lighter.

Raider Bill

Quote from: submarinesailor on December 21, 2015, 11:27:32 PM
Well...... I went and did it.  It's on order and should be here late this week.  Pricing it was funny.  Most of the dealers within 250 miles were within a couple thousand dollars of each other.  But the one down in North Carolina that FLATLY stated that "they would not be under sold" was almost $10,000 higher than my best offer.  Thought that was a little interesting.  HOPEFULLY it well turn out to be a good work horse for me because I have a lot of things needing to be done.

Now if I can just find some time to play with it when it isn't raining.  The weather guessers are calling for off and on rain for the next 7 days.  Also its really hard to saw when you are in mud up to your a$$.

PM me if you want the dealer and pricing info.

Bruce

What a dealer that lies...say it ain't so! :D :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

submarinesailor

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

samandothers

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

submarinesailor

Well......it's here.   And all I will say is that its a beast (HEAVY).  I how have right at 10 hours on it and already have a warranty issue.  The day after I received it, we drove it all the way up our mountain access road to the back of the property, 3000' long and up over 800', and the temperature gauge never came off the peg.  I checked the engine/oil temperature by placing my hand (very slowly) on the oil filter and it was almost cool to the touch.  SOooooo when they come out (tomorrow I hope) to install the tooth bar (that was suppose to be installed before delivery,) they will be checking to see if it has a bad thermostat.  Hopefully we didn't cause any excessive wear by running it those 6.5 hours before REALLY noticing what appears to be problem.  Also, because of it not heating up and with no tooth bar, I haven't tried pushing any dirt or rock yet.

One thing I checked and liked was the bucket droop.  Overnight I left the bucket just off the ground with a couple of hundred pounds (some dirt).  When I checked it the next morning (about 9 hours later), it had drooped about 3/16 of an inch.  Seen a lot worst in my time.  So, I was real happy with that.

Yes, I know none of this has happened because WE DON'T HAVE ANY STINKING PICTURES!!! :D :D :D :D :D ;D :(

Hopefully I will have an update for you day after tomorrow.

Bruce

beenthere

Don't see that the temp not coming off peg is necessarily a problem. Moving on a road likely isn't enough load to raise the temp.. at least on my 3 cyl Yanmar diesel I wouldn't see a temp rise.

But you may have a problem even so...

Congrats on the new arrival..
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

submarinesailor

Quote from: beenthere on January 05, 2016, 11:27:18 AM
Don't see that the temp not coming off peg is necessarily a problem. Moving on a road likely isn't enough load to raise the temp.. at least on my 3 cyl Yanmar diesel I wouldn't see a temp rise. I believe it "maybe" a problem because the temperature gauge has never moved.  Even when climbing a fairly steep hill/road.  But, hopefully I will find out tomorrow

But you may have a problem even so...

Congrats on the new arrival..  Thank you.

submarinesailor

Well the dealer decided that it would be better if they took it back to the shop and worked on it.  So at about 0930 this morning they picked it up.  But.....not before I added something to the list of things to be fixed under warranty.  When we went to move the tractor out to the road, we noticed something had leaked onto the ground under it.  A close check found that somewhere/somehow antifreeze was leaking.

Also before taking back across the river to the road for pickup, I drove it (a little fast) around the yard (about 5 minutes) and the temperature gauge never moved from the peg.  After parking it out by the road, I reached in the the block and was able to touch it WITHOUT burning my hand.  I don't think that I should be able to do that.  Shouldn't it be near 180 degrees if it has an 180 degree thermostat in it? ??? ::)

Bruce

beenthere

Bruce
I don't think that will heat up your engine as you are expecting. Just sayin... but there still may be something wrong.

I can do quite a bit of work with mine and not see the temp gauge move.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

moosehunter

I looked long and hard at Mahindra when I bought my tractor,  only chose Kubota for resale value. Mahindra builds a solid machine.
There is definitely something wrong with it, any modern diesel should heat up even at idle.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

thecfarm

Never moved from the peg??? I suppose you mean the needle never moved at all?? Yes,it should move,even at idle it will move. Once it reaches a certain temp,than the needle should not move.
I guess those John Deeres are diffeant.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

submarinesailor

The Mahindra dealer called me today with an update. But don't tell my wife that I was right about something. She won't believe it. The thermostat was stuck full open allowing full flow to the motor. Not allowing it to heat up. Hopefully the 9.3 hours that were placed on a cold running diesel didn't hurt it any. I purchased 2 new oil filters and plan on changing the filter and oil at about 25-30 hours. The book calls for the first change at 50 hours and ever 200 after that.

moosehunter

Did they find the source of the leak?
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

samandothers

Glad they ran down the issue. It is in my book or dealer told me to start and idle my diesel Kubota until it warms then use it. So it should warm up.  I know you are looking forward to getting it back.

submarinesailor

If things as planed.........I should be getting it back tomorrow sometime after 11 AM.  I plan on checking to see if it heats up before they take it off the rollback.

Bruce

thecfarm

Sounds good. If the dealer is any good at all,everything should work now.

submarinesailor

Well it's appears to be working,heating up, like it is suppose too.  By the time I got it back across the river, it was coming into the operating band on the gauge.

While we were waiting for the rollback delivery truck, I got to talking with one of my neighbors and found out he was out of firewood.  So the very first thing (work) I did with it was to delivery him 4 oak and elm logs to his backyard.  Boy was he happy it see them.  He has been on SSI just about all his life, so he had several friends ready to slice them up.  He77, they had the first 2 just about cutup before I got the 3rd one set on the ground.

Good to be able to help the neighbors as my first action/work with my new toy.

Thanks for listening.

Bruce

submarinesailor

And the saga continues ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)  Today with the temperature running around 14, I wanted to make sure it would start with no problems.  Well it started just fine 8)..........except for the coolant dripping out the bottom at a pretty fair rate. :o :o :o  WE looked for the leak and couldn't find it.  The coolant over bottle only had about an 1/4" of fluid in it.

So they are coming (AGAIN) tomorrow at 0900 to pick it up.  @#$%^&*!@#$%^&*  But, I must give the dealer credit.  As soon as I showed him the video of the green stuff (antifreeze) dripping off the bottom of the motor.  He did the work order to have it picked up.  Didn't argue with me at all. :)

I have to wonder what caused this leak; poor workmanship, new gasket bad, loose hose clamp.....

And the SAGA CONTINUES ::) :D

Bruce

Thank You Sponsors!