iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Jonsered help please?

Started by Grizzly, September 15, 2015, 08:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzly

A friend of mine heard that I needed a big saw for bucking logs. I had my eye all set on a 2188 Jonsered and he drove over and gave me these ones. The 1115 runs so I'll get it cleaned up and useable but I need more info on the smaller one as all I have is a serial #. I'm also unfamiliar with the big one (1115) and would appreciate any knowledge I can gain.

Model #

Serial #

Carb

Covers off

Other side

The smaller saw

Small saw serial #

So any questions you have or any info you can give me would be appreciated. I will google too see what I can find but often this forum produces better results.

Lyle
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

sablatnic

The Jonsered 2188 is a red Husqvarna 390 xp, 88 ccm, 6,5 hp, enjoy it.

The Jonsereds 111S - about 110 ccm - all spare parts long gone, and no brake, so take care.

HolmenTree

The bigger saw is a Jonsereds 111S the smaller a Jonsereds 621.
Grizzly, I'm  originally from Choiceland ,SK.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Spike60

You'll have no problem bucking up big logs with that 111.  :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

HolmenTree

You can see the top handle on the 111 was originally  full wrap then someone cut it off.
My brother also from Saskatchewan where the OP is from has a  111 in nice shape that he used in the 1970s.
Why would a big saw like this be used logging on the prairies?  Well just like next door here in Manitoba in the north there used to be lots of big white spruce pushing well over 100 ft tall and 4 ft plus diameter.
The smaller 621 was my first logging saw in the early 70s and loggers here used them up to 1982 when the 630 was introduced. If they weren't brand loyal they would have been running a Husqvarna 162 since 1976.
The Jonsereds dealer who opened the Saskatchewan -Manitoba territory for Jonsereds was B.J's (Bill Jacobsen ) At one time Bill had 5 dealerships throughout the 2 provinces.

Grizzly

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 15, 2015, 09:12:50 PM

But you went to Manitoba? Well, I'm sure we can forgive you.  My wife and I are originally from Abbotsford, BC but have been in SK for the last 24 years.

On the saws; one poster indicates parts will be scarce. Any reason to believe it ain't so? Good compression on these and all the parts seem to be there but .....?

Grizzly

Quote from: sablatnic on September 15, 2015, 09:12:33 PM

The Jonsereds 111S - about 110 ccm - all spare parts long gone, and no brake, so take care.

When I had my saw shop and was selling Jonsered my rep would tell me the difference between Husky and Jonsered..........When you got to the bush in the morning you had to brush the snow off of the Husky before starting. The Jonsered didn't need spoiling just fire up and go! (I can't get the grin emoticon in here) Made a good sales pitch. No matter that their the same unit. All my old posters and stuff are red so I try to stick with the Jonsered name when I can!

HolmenTree

Quote from: Grizzly on September 16, 2015, 03:12:07 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on September 15, 2015, 09:12:50 PM

On the saws; one poster indicates parts will be scarce. Any reason to believe it ain't so? Good compression on these and all the parts seem to be there but .....?
I don't know how much wood you want to cut with these Jonsereds icons, but the smaller 621 were very popular in most provinces and states so parts shouldn't  be a problem even today.
The 111 on the other hand will be an issue but there's  a fair number of them still sitting around in places like the lower PNW. Other then your 111 Super there was 2 other models, the 111 and 110.
Mechanically points and condensers would be your major concern, no ignition module to worry about just a old  reliable coil. Other internal pieces besides the p/c can be had from other saw sources.
With a good machine shop the crank can be split and common bearings can be refitted.

But if you break anything on the outside then some real ingenuity will be needed if no parts can be found. Sounds like you're a true 'sereds lover and you have 2 old favorites.

Grizzly

Thanks Holmen. They won't see a large volume of wood but the logs being delivered are up to 38" in diameter and I usually buck them to 16'2" and I'd rather do it with one cut then to walk my little one around. I'm going to go tinker with them a little more and decide what to do next. I'll have some good arms if I run that 111 for any length of time!

Thanks for all.

Lyle

HolmenTree

If all else fails you can turn the 111 into a race saw :D

Real1shepherd

Agreed, the 'little' saw is a 621, the little brother to the 80. A lot of parts swap out between the two. The bigger saw as said is a 111S. You're gonna have trouble with that bad boy. The saw is classic unobtainium(think Holy Grail of sawdom) and even though it brings seriously big bucks on eBay, the parts are very, very scarce. If you intend to run it in the woods, you should consider another one for back-up or parts. Some people wait yrs for some parts to float through the bay. And the people that really collect and like this saw invented the term 'hoarder".

All that being said if Jonsereds had worked more on a distributorship/dealers in the PNW, given the 111S a diet with some plastic parts on top, slimmed down the full-wrap and given it modular ignition, it would have been a direct competitor with the Husky 2100 at that time. The saw is that good, yes....just a little doughty in ergonomics and weight. 

Given the complete lack of support for the 111S, it would be the last saw I seriously took to the woods today. Collectors love 'em!

Kevin

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Grizzly on September 16, 2015, 03:19:15 PM
Quote from: sablatnic on September 15, 2015, 09:12:33 PM

When I had my saw shop and was selling Jonsered my rep would tell me the difference between Husky and Jonsered..........When you got to the bush in the morning you had to brush the snow off of the Husky before starting. The Jonsered didn't need spoiling just fire up and go! (I can't get the grin emoticon in here) Made a good sales pitch. No matter that their the same unit. All my old posters and stuff are red so I try to stick with the Jonsered name when I can!

That's a lot of ...lol. My 2100 and the 80 started the same...actually the big 2100 had the edge because of the modular ignition. However, the 80/90/621 all start with three pulls MAX if they are in good state of tune, which is great IMO for a points saw. And my 80 now has been in use for 35+ yrs by me and I've only looked at and adjusted the points twice. So.....I say the J'red engineers knocked that points arrangement outa the ball park.

However that being said, the 621/80/90 will vapor lock on a hot day if it even sees the sun when you shut it off and park it. Never heard of a fix...just have to remember to park them in the shade and all is well. The 2100 doesn't give a  where you park it.

After '82 there were no more 'true' Jonsered saws, as Electrolux Group AB owned the company since '78.  First there was the Partner influence as in the 920, then Partner/Husky influence for the 930 and then Husky from then to now.
Kevin

HolmenTree

Grizzly 's speaking truth there about dusting the snow off the Husky before starting.
The old Jonsereds ran a tad slower in rpm and like a vacuum cleaner the Huskies would suck in more snow through the rewind housing and ice up the carb.....

Only something a northern logger would experience and understand :D

Real1shepherd

I don't know about the 'high top' Huskies after the 2100, but that certainly is NOT true of the 2100. And I ran them in -30 degrees F in CO...in snow over my waist.

Kevin

HolmenTree

Quote from: Real1shepherd on September 16, 2015, 09:30:21 PM
I don't know about the 'high top' Huskies after the 2100, but that certainly is NOT true of the 2100. And I ran them in -30 degrees F in CO...in snow over my waist.

Kevin
Relax Kevin :)
Grizzly was just making a statement of the general consensus  his rep was saying of "all Huskies" versus the Jonsereds at the time.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 16, 2015, 10:55:35 PM

Kevin
Grizzly was just making a statement of the general consensus  his rep was saying of "all Huskies" versus the Jonsereds at the time.

Not a problem....just pleading my ignorance on the bigger high-top Huskies like the 394/395 of the day. I have no idea how they worked in the deep snow. In my era of production, the 2100/2101 and the 80/90 started about the same cold, regardless of conditions. And I can only speak for the 111S from what others have told me about using it back then....never had the pleasure, or even saw one in the woods for that matter.

Kevin

SawTroll

Quote from: Real1shepherd on September 16, 2015, 09:13:27 PM

After '82 there were no more 'true' Jonsered saws, as Electrolux Group AB owned the company since '78.  First there was the Partner influence as in the 920, then Partner/Husky influence for the 930 and then Husky from then to now.
Kevin

The exact story is much more complicated - and what is a "true" Jonsereds/Jonsered is to some degree debatable. Imo, it is close enough regarding the 8xx/9xx saws though.

Aspen alkylate fuel is a good idea on any saw that tends to vapor lock (really for all saws).
Information collector.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: SawTroll on September 17, 2015, 02:45:13 PM
Quote from: Real1shepherd on September 16, 2015, 09:13:27 PM

Kevin

Aspen alkylate fuel is a good idea on any saw that tends to vapor lock (really for all saws).

The exact story is much more complicated - and what is a "true" Jonsereds/Jonsered is to some degree debatable. Imo, it is close enough regarding the 8xx/9xx saws though.

You and I talked about this before on other saw forums and are in agreement. I saw no point in going further with the J'red story, given that no one was asking about it.

We don't have that fuel available here, but something similar. Not practical by price in a pro-production environment. And besides, I was talking about back in the day with decent fuels and no other saws gave me any hard-start vapor lock issues other than the J'reds. As I said, park them in the shade when they were hot and you were good to go.

Kevin

nitehawk55

I've got a low mileage one owner J'Reds 621 , it is one sweet running saw . Has the early chain brake with cutout switch .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

SawTroll

Quote from: nitehawk55 on September 17, 2015, 08:41:52 PM
I've got a low mileage one owner J'Reds 621 , it is one sweet running saw . Has the early chain brake with cutout switch .

As I understand it, that version came out in the late 1970s, and the chain brake is too slow/ineffective to do much good. Could be interesting for collectors though.
Information collector.

nitehawk55

Quote from: SawTroll on September 17, 2015, 09:07:25 PM
Quote from: nitehawk55 on September 17, 2015, 08:41:52 PM

As I understand it, that version came out in the late 1970s, and the chain brake is too slow/ineffective to do much good. Could be interesting for collectors though.

Yes it's not common to see the chain brake on these so I've been told and you never see a picture of one with it but it was likely because it was CDN market and was required . It's not effective at all as a brake which is simply a square block of friction material that will push against the drum as the cutout kills the engine if the handle goes forward enough . The brake does not set in a locked position as modern ones do so I can only assume this was an early design or attempt for a brake of sorts to meet the safety requirement at that time . The fellow told me his father bought it in 1980 , I also have the owners manual , a bar tool with Jonsereds on it and it also has the original bar which is still in pretty good shape . It still has that plastic plug cover too that I've been told usually went MIA on most of them .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

SawTroll

Basically it was an option, but it may of course have been mandatory in some markets. The same brake was offered on several Jonsereds models in the late 1970s, but it wasn't standard from the factory on any of them.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Real1shepherd on September 17, 2015, 02:42:22 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on September 16, 2015, 10:55:35 PM

Kevin

Not a problem....just pleading my ignorance on the bigger high-top Huskies like the 394/395 of the day. I have no idea how they worked in the deep snow. In my era of production, the 2100/2101 and the 80/90 started about the same cold, regardless of conditions. And I can only speak for the 111S from what others have told me about using it back then....never had the pleasure, or even saw one in the woods for that matter.

Kevin
Winters were darn cold back in the late 1970s 1980sand early '90s. Now we have global warming :D
I remember wrapping a wool sock around the air filter of a Jonsereds 621,80 and 90 to keep the snow from icing up the carb in 30 below winter days. But as saws got faster it took more then a sock to keep them running.
Stihl invented the thermal rubber insulating intake manifold around 1980 then we were introduced to "winter kits" to keep their carbs from icing up. Husqvarna/Jonsereds didn't adapt the thermal insulating until the mid '90s but air injection was their baby in the late '80s which called for their own "winter kit".
I've run my 395, 372, 346 ,576,550 down to minus-65F and they ran well, the supplied winter kits disabled their air injection , cut down on cold air intake at the rewind housing and pushed more warm cylinder heat back to the carb. This was more then adequate.
For the less challenged owners Husqvarna and Stihl offer a heated carburetor option introduced over 20 years ago with Stihl taking the forefront in the technology due to their early thermal insulating intake manifold design.

But when I think back to the late 1970's the Husqvarnas could sure suck more snow and cold air with their higher rpm over the old style Jonsereds.......think of a Electrolux vacuum cleaner :D :)

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on September 17, 2015, 10:30:42 PM
Basically it was an option, but it may of course have been mandatory in some markets. The same brake was offered on several Jonsereds models in the late 1970s, but it wasn't standard from the factory on any of them.
Husqvarna invented the adjustable  "Swede O Matic" chain brake in the mid 1970s with the full 360°Brake band and is a better design then most saws have today. Jonsereds never adapted until 1979 with the 910 and 510? With the 360° brake band.
In the U.S. Market in the late 1970s the chain brake actually hurt Husqvarnas sales as they advertised their pro saws without chain brakes as late as 1979.
But things changed in 1980 as the neighbouring Canadian market made law all saws must be chain brake mandatory . But the rare saws in that market like the Stihl 090 got by with just a "hand guard" up until the early 1990s.

Spike60

Quote from: SawTroll on September 17, 2015, 02:45:13 PM

Well my friend, I'm glad to see that you got that correct regarding the 800/900 series saws being "true" Jonsereds.  8)

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!