iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pine thinning

Started by tmbrcruiser, September 15, 2015, 04:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmbrcruiser

I had a request to see some pic from another thread, though this might interest some other folks too.

Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

goose63

I could sure use that little green dozer  :) :)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

thecfarm

That's all a good set up. I like the place to load the trailers. Good idea. I think I have looked at those crawlers at shows. How many hp is the tractor?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

treeslayer2003

you sending that to spring grove? i hear they pay better than down here.......would have to for trucking.

lopet

Wow, a trailer loading ramp. smiley_thumbsup
I wish we have plantations like that around here.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

tmbrcruiser

Hi Treeslayer, yes the pulp is going to Spring Grove. Hope you have had a good summer logging. The crawler is a Forecat 2000 and it powered by a Kohler Command Pro 27. The best part of that machine is the 7 ton winch and the maneuverability. The loading pit came about because of safety, with the small forwarder loading over my head was soon ruled out. Didn't want another machine drinking fuel and hydraulic oil. The loading pit was a one time expense and much cheaper than another loader.

NH-Murph

Wow... That's a very well thought out setup you have there.  Someday, I'd really love to have one of those forwarder trailers at my place.  You're trailer pit has me scratching my chin too!  It would work for loading aggregate into a dump truck with the tractor much nicer too!  I bet that track machine gives a lot of smiles per gallon!

treeslayer2003

Quote from: tmbrcruiser on September 16, 2015, 07:36:49 AM
Hi Treeslayer, yes the pulp is going to Spring Grove. Hope you have had a good summer logging. The crawler is a Forecat 2000 and it powered by a Kohler Command Pro 27. The best part of that machine is the 7 ton winch and the maneuverability. The loading pit came about because of safety, with the small forwarder loading over my head was soon ruled out. Didn't want another machine drinking fuel and hydraulic oil. The loading pit was a one time expense and much cheaper than another loader.
pretty good, i'm ready for fall lol. it seems to get hotter every year..........or age  ???

so the rumor is true. no matter, i seldom do pulp. pretty good set up you got there.

Puffergas

Now I know what heaven looks like     8)..!!
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

enigmaT120

How old is the stand you're thinning? 
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

tmbrcruiser

At the time the pictures were taken the stand was nineteen years old. With the small equipment I do not have to lay out skid trails on a grid. This means I do not loose any of the dominate trees to harvest roads. Stocking retained is 70 to 80 square foot of basal area. Twelve foot skid trails on fifty foot centers in a herring bone pattern remove twenty four percent of the dominate stocking, twelve foot trails on seventy five foot centers remove sixteen percent. So to me that is a large reduction the potential yield. Besides it's fun to work in the woods and any reason makes sense. 

Clark

What variety of pine do you grow in Delaware?

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

tmbrcruiser

Loblolly pine, Most stands are thinning twice one at 18-20 then again at 28-30 with final harvest at 40-45.

bkaimwood

Machinery is cool...nice setup!!
bk

underwaterlogger

Awesome setup love the log lift
Mobile Dimension circular mill, Woodmizer LT15, Granberg, 50 hp John Deere, 28x9 all aluminum barge, homemade kiln, a ton of chainsaws, scuba gear, scuba certification, and a ton of muscle is how I get it done.

Clark

I had no idea loblolly grew that far north.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

SwampDonkey

Nice set up. For my 70 acres it would be too much investment, but a 4-wheeler and a small grapple loader would probably work out or one of them Logrite log haulers. I wouldn't be handling real big wood, but some might be 20" near the but end. Pretty much balsam fir to saw since it grows up here like weeds. I have spruce, but they won't be ready in my time. If I am going to cut spruce I want big ones. Fir don't get as big then come crashing down from old age. ;D I have a small tractor, but it's not for the woods.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Clark on September 18, 2015, 12:56:55 PM
I had no idea loblolly grew that far north.

Clark
it does in thickets in some places. but i'd say this is about as far north as you'd see natural stands of it.
but the peninsula here is really in a small ecosystem of its own. thats how we have both northern and southern timber......go around a corner and its a whole different type of forest.

Thank You Sponsors!