iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husq 450e sprocket/chain/bar

Started by enesg, September 14, 2015, 06:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enesg

I'm trying to find a sprocket that would fit my chainsaw with a different chain.

I used an older chainsaw with 16" chains and i have about 50 or so chains left over, some used re-sharpened but mostly new.

I ended up buying a 450e chainsaw but just now realized they don't make a sprocket for a 3/8 chain

Is there any aftermarket sprockets that they make for my chainsaw or
a sprocket that would fit my chainsaw and a 3/8 chain. 16"

I'm still trying to edumacate myself a bit on this so feel free to give me extra info   

sawguy21

First of all, welcome aboard. Grab a coffee and pull up a stump. Your saw really does not have the torque to pull 3/8 chain, few saws under 60cc do. What are the drive link counts of the old chains? Even if you could get a sprocket, you may have to lengthen or shorten them to fit a Husky small mount bar.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ladylake

Best to buy a 60 cc saw for those chains.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

enesg

The old chain is 60 DL,  3/8, and to be honest i don't even know the model number of the old chainsaw, there was a lot of use out of it, and when i got it as a handmedown  after my father passed away. I put in at least another 4 years of good use out of it, maintained it well, started on 2nd or 3rd pull every time.  Then someone had to go and steal it :( 

It has A2 stamped on the drive link so it should be .058" gauge.

sawguy21

Spike60

Well, there's kind of a way to do this, cause that's too many chains to go to waste. You've got something like $700-$800 worth of chains there!  :)

The issue here is to find a drum that mates with the oil gear, and there isn't an exact fit. A 346 drum/rim will work, but the splines on the drum are smaller resulting in a slightly looser fit on the 450 oil gear. (445/450 and the older 340/345 all use the same drum and oil gear)

I have done this on a Jonsered 2150 that I modded. (Not for 3/8, but to run an 8 pin .325.) So, yes it works. Have a few tanks through it, with no issues. Worst case would be wearing out the oil gear at some point, but it's only a $5 part.

Bar would be the same 3/8 small mount that would be used on any Husky. And they are 60 DL. Power enough to run it? Absolutely yes. 450's are good runners. Lowes is selling a 450 "rancher" with a 20' .325 bar. That overweight Poulan Pro 5020 is 50CC and they put a 20" 3/8 on that thing. Your 450 will handle 16" 3/8 with no problem.

With that much chain sitting around I'd give it a shot.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

CTYank

Quote from: Spike60 on September 15, 2015, 09:32:14 AM
Well, there's kind of a way to do this, cause that's too many chains to go to waste. You've got something like $700-$800 worth of chains there!  :)

The issue here is to find a drum that mates with the oil gear, and there isn't an exact fit. A 346 drum/rim will work, but the splines on the drum are smaller resulting in a slightly looser fit on the 450 oil gear. (445/450 and the older 340/345 all use the same drum and oil gear)

I have done this on a Jonsered 2150 that I modded. (Not for 3/8, but to run an 8 pin .325.) So, yes it works. Have a few tanks through it, with no issues. Worst case would be wearing out the oil gear at some point, but it's only a $5 part.

Bar would be the same 3/8 small mount that would be used on any Husky. And they are 60 DL. Power enough to run it? Absolutely yes. 450's are good runners. Lowes is selling a 450 "rancher" with a 20' .325 bar. That overweight Poulan Pro 5020 is 50CC and they put a 20" 3/8 on that thing. Your 450 will handle 16" 3/8 with no problem.

With that much chain sitting around I'd give it a shot.

Spike, you're sounding like our Norge friend, going on about the 5020 like that.  ::)
I've had mine buried in dhagbark hickory blowdowns- it spit big chips. I've beaten on it for 3.5 yrs so far, and it still runs like new. When I got it, a bud tried it, bought one, and put his stihl 250 up for sale, cheap. To me, for $180, it's a no-brainer. Sure, it's not as sophisticated as comparable Husqys, but compare its value to that of similar homeowner stihls. No comparison, IMO.

You definitely do not need 60 cc to drive 3/8" chain. IMO.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

MikeAM

Quote from: enesg on September 14, 2015, 06:10:33 PM
I'm trying to find a sprocket that would fit my chainsaw with a different chain.

I used an older chainsaw with 16" chains and i have about 50 or so chains left over, some used re-sharpened but mostly new.

I ended up buying a 450e chainsaw but just now realized they don't make a sprocket for a 3/8 chain

Is there any aftermarket sprockets that they make for my chainsaw or
a sprocket that would fit my chainsaw and a 3/8 chain. 16"

I'm still trying to edumacate myself a bit on this so feel free to give me extra info

Hiya Enesg,

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!

You could buy an Oregon rim and drum system and add a 3/8 sprocket. 108215x is the item number for the rim and drum system in a 325 pitch that fits the 450e. Then all you need is a small spline rim and you should be good to go! Item number for that is 18720.

Best Regards,

Spike60

Quote from: CTYank on September 16, 2015, 03:12:57 PM

Spike, you're sounding like our Norge friend, going on about the 5020 like that.  ::)
I've had mine buried in dhagbark hickory blowdowns- it spit big chips. I've beaten on it for 3.5 yrs so far, and it still runs like new. When I got it, a bud tried it, bought one, and put his stihl 250 up for sale, cheap. To me, for $180, it's a no-brainer. Sure, it's not as sophisticated as comparable Husqys, but compare its value to that of similar homeowner stihls. No comparison, IMO.

You definitely do not need 60 cc to drive 3/8" chain. IMO.

I don't disagree with what you are saying John, as far as the performance and value are concerned. And you re-enforce my point that 50cc can pull 3/8 when need be. So again, the 450 will do fine with those 16" chains Enesg wants to use. But I do think the 5020 is overweight for a 50cc saw in this day and age.   :laugh:

And of course in an earlier day and age it was not unusual for plenty of 50cc saws to run 3/8 chain. 031 Stihl, 49SP and 490 Jonsered, 50 and 51 Husky. How about Homelite EZ's running 3/8 with 40cc? 

I've run all of the above examples and never felt that any of the saws were struggling with the 3/8. Would they cut a little faster with .325? Yeah, probably would. But the OP isn't cutting cants with a stop watch, he's cutting firewood. And those 50 chains he has will cut a LOT of firewood.

Wonder how many CC's his old saw was.   :)

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

SawTroll

Quote from: CTYank on September 16, 2015, 03:12:57 PM

I wonder who that would be?   8) :D

....and of course I agree with Spike on the matter!
Information collector.

sawguy21

I wondered when you would show up ;D

John Mc

I don;t own one, but I've always thought the 450 was a sweetspot in Husky's mid-range/landowner saws. Sure, it's not pro construction, but it's power to weight ratio are good, and it's a decent-running saw. I've had no reservations about recommending to someone looking for a lighter saw for personal use.

There are those who want or need a pro-type saw, but if you are cutting a few cords of firewood per year, and maybe cleaning up the occasional storm damage it's not a bad saw. If you take care of it properly, it will give you many years of use in that sort of application.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!