iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

372 husky xp

Started by parlee8920032001, September 13, 2015, 09:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parlee8920032001

gentlemen

I have been looking at new saws . Husky is in my blood so would like to stick with them .  wondering about the 372xp . I have a harvester and forwarder don't use a saw everyday just when my harvester will not cut a hard looking tree , Im a smaller guy 150 pounds and don't have arms like pop eye . have been using a 257 for years with a 18 inch bar and seems to be light and  under powered when im junking hardwood . need some advise her gents . thanks

thecfarm

If you can get your hands on one,grab it. I'm about 20 pounds heavier,but had one for about 15-20 years and I like it. I use to use it all day long,but only for firewood now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Pine Ridge

I have two 372xps, cut good and balanced well, i run 20" bars on mine. I cut hardwood logs, probably average 20" - 22" dbh, the 372xp is my favorite saw for what i do. You might also want to take a look at the 562xp, they are even lighter, and cut really good too.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

HolmenTree

I got an old edition 372XP -24" that can handle anything I  throw at it. But I use my 562XP-18" more often. ;D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

cbla

I will throw a vote for the 562xp. I love mine. extremely light to power ratio.

HolmenTree

Quote from: cbla on September 14, 2015, 03:40:41 PM
I will throw a vote for the 562xp. I love mine. extremely light to power ratio.
For all you 562XP owners , do a muffler mod like I explained on  the last page of the thread titled "What's your chain preference??? LGX LPX JGX for hard maple & beech" .
Best thing you can do for that saw.

WV Mountaineer

I have a newer 372 X-torq and a newly rebuilt 372.  Both are grand machines and I like them a lot.

I have loggers running 562's and while they are great in poplar and as limbing saws on the landing, they suffer to the 372's in the true hardwoods when it comes to torque needed for felling.  And, it sounds like you are looking for a little more torque.  And, to me it sounds like the 372 is right up your alley.  A 562 is a quick cutting machine and in softer, smaller wood it will probably out cut or at least cut with the 372. But, in hardwood like Oak, and Hickory, running 20 inch bars, the 372 will get it.

God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

cbla

HolmenTree, what were your hot start issues?

HolmenTree

After heavy cutting I had flooding issues when I went to re start saw after a few minutes, hot days was a real problem  so I would have to set the fast idle and then don't have a problem.
Just as I explained how to do that muffler mod in the other post the problem practically has gone away, now I  can enjoy the quick auto on master control rather then doing the extra step setting the fast idle.
Power is now noticeably stronger and I can't  tell much difference in increased decimals.

4x4American

I have a 372 xtorq and I can say, it has great av system, and it comfortable to run for extended periods of time.  But it is under powered and doesn't like to start.  I've gotten a better feel for it over the years but its silly sometimes.  You could be running it for a few hours, put it down for lunch, and then have to put it in high idle for it to start back up.  My stihls will start after 1-3 pulls cold and once theyve been running for the day, usually fire right up first pull for the rest of the day.
Boy, back in my day..

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 15, 2015, 09:30:47 AM
After heavy cutting I had flooding issues when I went to re start saw after a few minutes, hot days was a real problem  so I would have to set the fast idle and then don't have a problem.
Just as I explained how to do that muffler mod in the other post the problem practically has gone away, now I  can enjoy the quick auto on master control rather then doing the extra step setting the fast idle.
Power is now noticeably stronger and I can't  tell much difference in increased decimals.

The operator manual actually says that you should set the fast idle for warm starts - so being able to warm start without ir really is a bonus.  ;)
Information collector.

NH-Murph

My 372xp faithfully fires in two pulls with the choke on, then lights up in two pulls with the choke off when cold.  When it is hot, one yank and it's running.  I did get a smaller second saw though, for lighter duty tasks.  Feels funny pruning apple trees with a 70cc saw!

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on September 16, 2015, 11:02:17 AM

The operator manual actually says that you should set the fast idle for warm starts - so being able to warm start without ir really is a bonus.  ;)
Niko, yes I think I read that somewhere in a newer 562 owner's manual  but I think my early  manual has no mention of that. I don't blame  Husqvarna..... today they have to keep both EPA and the enduser happy.
I'm going to start a new 562XP thread in a bit...... :)

parlee8920032001

Thanks boys got a new 562 love it !!! thanks again

49er

Quote from: 4x4American on September 15, 2015, 11:18:57 AM
I have a 372 xtorq and I can say, it has great av system, and it comfortable to run for extended periods of time.  But it is under powered and doesn't like to start. 
Ed Heard's starting procedure is, choke on,decomp off,pull one time,take choke off and next pull it starts. I was skeptical but tried it and it works.
  On my 365xt I ground the transfer covers, put in a thinner base gasket(185psi) opened the exhaust and an unlimited coil. It has plenty of power and has become my favorite 70cc saw. I have had 7900,460,and 576at all good but nothing wrong with this one.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

4x4American

Quote from: 49er on September 21, 2015, 07:59:52 PM
Quote from: 4x4American on September 15, 2015, 11:18:57 AM
I have a 372 xtorq and I can say, it has great av system, and it comfortable to run for extended periods of time.  But it is under powered and doesn't like to start. 
Ed Heard's starting procedure is, choke on,decomp off,pull one time,take choke off and next pull it starts. I was skeptical but tried it and it works.
  On my 365xt I ground the transfer covers, put in a thinner base gasket(185psi) opened the exhaust and an unlimited coil. It has plenty of power and has become my favorite 70cc saw. I have had 7900,460,and 576at all good but nothing wrong with this one.

I'll try it, thanks.
Boy, back in my day..

NH-Murph

I tried the above mentioned one pull choke on, one pull choke off, high idle technique all week, and it worked without fail.  Learn somethin' new every day!  The saw has never started hard, but this is even easier.

49er

Quote from: WV Mountaineer on September 14, 2015, 10:40:02 PM
I have a newer 372 X-torq and a newly rebuilt 372.  Both are grand machines and I like them a lot.
WV, could you give some comment on the differences between the 372xt and 372xp?
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 16, 2015, 02:52:25 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on September 16, 2015, 11:02:17 AM

Niko, yes I think I read that somewhere in a newer 562 owner's manual  but I think my early  manual has no mention of that. I don't blame  Husqvarna..... today they have to keep both EPA and the enduser happy.
I'm going to start a new 562XP thread in a bit...... :)

There vere obvious misprints in the earliest manuals regarding starting, as I recall it. It was corrected pretty fast though, and has been right since then. Look up the current one at the Husky website.

If the fast idle is needed or not for warm starts always has varied between saws, and also what is "wam" in this context. An awake owner will soon enough figure out where the limit is on his saw....

My own take on it is that if one pull on the rope doesn't start a supposedly warm saw, turn the fast idle on. Most manuals I have seen tell you to use it - to be "fool proof". However, it is more true on the 560 family saws, than on most others I have used.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

I have found my 562 takes a surprisingly long time to cool down before the choke is needed.
Mine  now after the muffler mod starts on one pull while still warm without the fast idle and enjoying the auto on master control switch, what it was designed to do.

But I should take it in to the dealer for a checkup as when it was brand new there was no hot start issues,  then with use it got progressively worse.

4x4American

Gotta muff mod mine one of these days...been saying that for too long now
Boy, back in my day..

WV Mountaineer

Quote from: 49er on September 26, 2015, 11:44:55 AM

The XT has more grunt than the stock XP.  Chain speeds are about the same on stock saws.  However, my newly rebuilt XP with the NWP big bore kit is everything the XT is and more.  I guess the best way of putting it is the XP is comparable to the Stihl 440.  The XT is comparable to the 460 in ability to lug in hardwoods.  A good rebuild kit on an older XP puts it to that level.

I've read where the XT is easier on fuel.  I never really noticed that on stock saws.  It is lots better than a big bore rebuilt XP though. God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

SawTroll

A cool note is there is no on/off switch on those saws, just a "stop" position on the switch. Ignition is on again, as soon as you let go of the switch.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: WV Mountaineer on September 26, 2015, 10:03:50 PM
Quote from: 49er on September 26, 2015, 11:44:55 AM

The XT has more grunt than the stock XP.  Chain speeds are about the same on stock saws.  However, my newly rebuilt XP with the NWP big bore kit is everything the XT is and more.  I guess the best way of putting it is the XP is comparable to the Stihl 440.  The XT is comparable to the 460 in ability to lug in hardwoods.  A good rebuild kit on an older XP puts it to that level.

I've read where the XT is easier on fuel.  I never really noticed that on stock saws.  It is lots better than a big bore rebuilt XP though. God Bless

Keep in mind that what you call XT really is XP x-torq. All 372s are XP.
Information collector.

49er

Quote from: SawTroll on September 26, 2015, 10:10:57 PM
A cool note is there is no on/off switch on those saws, just a "stop" position on the switch. Ignition is on again, as soon as you let go of the switch.
I have converted all my saws over to that type of switch. It is just too handy. :) Keeps me from pulling on a saw with the switch off.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

Thank You Sponsors!