iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best way to market walnut trees

Started by farmer9, September 13, 2015, 07:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer9

OK, Ive had a registered forester out to help me mark 34 walnut trees for harvest. Im actually pretty familiar with cutting/logging but still need all the advice i can get to market my trees myself. The forester would do it, but of course for a percentage of the money.....

Im in Central Illinois. The 34 trees range from 18"-30" but most are in the 18"-25" category (only 3 over 25"). Some are definitely veneer quality, other definitely  not. All from a north facing slope, but on the  bottom/level area. Easy access and hauling.

I plan on putting an ad in craigslist and also emailing all the area loggers/mills/ I can find that are still open.

A couple questions:
1. I would either like to fall/trim/cut to length/haul to loading area, and  just have the logger load and haul. I have the equipment and farming experience to do that and I am confident I could do it (I have been cutting down trees since I was 12).  Would that interest any buyers or would they prefer to do it all????

2. Of course I want to get the highest bid I can. Im sure some will  try to "low-ball" me, and want to avoid that if possible. I plan on using a "one final bid only" (no up-ping offers). Is this OK to do or would it turn some buyers off? I want to show respect to them, but also want them to know that im not "easy pickins), either

Any other suggestions appreciated....hope i didnt sound too obnoxious as im really just looking for a "fair price".
thanks

I tried to attatch a photo on a jpg format but it wont work...dont know how to convert it to some other formats.

beenthere

Hang on to that forester and let him help with your decisions. You can learn a lot of what you need to know for your area with his/her help.

For pics, they do need to be in .jpg format.

Then you follow the procedure outlined in a thread found on the "home" page, near the bottom.

The basic idea is to name your album in your gallery, then click the line below "click here to add Photos to post" and upload the pics you want in your album. Only upload the pics that you want to put in your post.

Once the pic is in your gallery, click on it and it will enlarge... then Scroll down  a page or two where you will see "insert image in gallery" and it shows up.

Give it a shot...  shout out if something doesn't work for you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wesdor

Not sure where you are in central Illinois.  Steve Felt is a state forester and has been preside of the Illinois Walnut Council. You might want to try and contact him.  Sorry I don't have his contact info handy.

Ron Wenrich

If you're doing the logging, why do you need a logger to do your marketing?   You need to go to the log buyer.  That can be either several, or just one, but contact several.  The problem you'll have is with the bucking, if you have little experience.  A veneer buyer will come out and tell you where to cut the logs for his best value.  Any good log buyer would do that, too.  And they can help to arrange the trucking.

If you have log buyers, then you won't need your forester to market the wood either.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Texas Ranger

Contact the state Walnut council are what ever they call it.  One source may be the gun stock people in Missouri, if they are still there.  But, walnut buying and selling is in the rarefied level of forestry, and  you need the help to get it done right.  The comment on a veneer buyer telling/showing where the cuts should be can make the difference between veneer and saw logs, a big difference in value.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

mesquite buckeye

I sense a reluctance to pay for help with the marketing. A lot of craigslist is inhabited by bargain hunters, just sayin'.

If you don't have the contacts with the log buying people, your computer can help you out there. The other option is to get marketing help from a professional and be happy to pay for the service rendered. This service could easily pay for itself with increased sales prices. I think experienced people can help you out here.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

You seem to want to discount and ignore the value of a Forester.  Sure, you can handle it without their expertise, but they may very well have knowledge of markets that you may not find. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Mountaineer

You seem like a guy that wants to have a hand in everything because you trust no one.  I can tell you from buying timber and logs for a good long while now, for quite a few different companies, you are about to cost yourself some money.  Walnut is doing well and, most log buyers we sell to currently, want the log as long as they can get it.  Meaning we try to run it in tree length and sell it as such.  They buy it then, wait until they get it to their mill before they buck it to their determined lengths.  And they pay a premium for it when they get exactly what they want.  You don't know what that is nor, are they gong to tell you what that is because until they look at each log in tree-length individually, they won't know how to best buy it.

What I'm about to say is not meant to insult you.  I'm trying to help you.  But, 34 logs of walnut may be looked at as not worth a buyers time when they have some unknown variables. Like when they will get them?  Do you intend to separate grades based on buyer prices?  Do you intend to handle them carefully?  Etc....    I know that sounds absurd to you but, it wouldn't if it were your money and job on the line.

Personally, I'd find a few buyers, meet them personally or talk with them on the phone and, go with the one that hit me the best.  Then, I'd cut my trees and, get them out in the timeline he suggests, and take the money he offers.  If you don't, you are going to cost yourself in the long run.  Because, you assume that you can't trust them but, expect them to trust you.   That leaves a sour taste in the mouth of people in this field.  Because we get more than our far share of people who we can't trust.  And, they all act the same way as you are coning across.

Meet a few.  Earn their trust as you expect them to accept you and, your obligations.  Then go with the one that gives you the best deal.  It really is in your best interest not to get in this and try to micro mange them.  They'll let those logs rot before they buy them if you do.  Good luck and God bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

Thank You Sponsors!