iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quatersawn sycamore

Started by Joey Grimes, September 13, 2015, 04:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey Grimes

Quatersawed a 30 inch diameter sycamore this weekend. Wow it's  beautiful !! I think it may be one of the most overlooked hardwoods.I'm trying to post pics from my phone but no luck any tips?
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Glenn1

I also had some cut last week and it is indeed pretty.  I am looking forward to drying it and seeing what it looks like after it is planed.
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

WIwoodworker

Quartersawn sycamore is pretty awesome. Love the figure.
Peterson 9" WPF

bkaimwood

bk

Joey Grimes

I can't post pics from phone do I need to do it on computer?
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

bkaimwood

Yeah...it's an ongoing battle of mine too...
bk

kelLOGg

Here's a pic of QS sycamore I sawed for a customer, It'll have to do until Joey posts his.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

bkaimwood

Interesting "flecking" in there...also has a nice warm tone
bk

dboyt

Any time I have fair-size sycamore, I quarter saw as much of it as I can.  It is also known as "American lacewood".  Photos have to be on the Forestry Forum gallery before they can be posted.  Not a difficult process.  Click on the Forestry Forum Gallery at the top of the Sponsors bar at the left of the screen and set up a gallery for your photos.  I'd love to see what you've got!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

gww

I have several sycomores.  They are probly only 15 inchers so maby to small for quarter sawing.  The butt logs were all hollow but the wood got really sollid about 8 to 10 feet up.  I have only made one 8x8 cant so far and loved the way it sawed and how clear and kinda orange the wood was.  I don't know what to board cut and how to use it.  I mostly build small projects like sheds or out house and raised bed gardens so far.  How would I use sycomore in these types of projects?  Flooring. shelves, 2x4s?
Thanks

Skip

Sticker and stack fast and with weight on top or use green fast cause it will want to twist and turn sawed some years ago for a customers floor in cabin he put it down green ,still looks great today.

dboyt

I wouldn't use sycamore for any application where it is in contact with soil (such as raised beds), since it rots quickly.  I would make wonderful flooring, though.  Just get it kiln dry first.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

gww

Thanks for the answers.  No kiln dry here, It would however be in a mostly unheated aplication like a shed or cabin that is only used here and there.
Thanks
gww

Joey Grimes

pics of quatersawn sycamore

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Glenn1

Here is a picture that I took today of quartersawn sycamore.  The lower boards were stickered 2 weeks ago and the couple on top were cut yesterday.  I now have 400 bf for some lucky customers.
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Joey Grimes

Looks like boards on top are spalted

Glenn1

Quote from: Joey Grimes on September 19, 2015, 09:52:44 PM
Looks like boards on top are spalted

Yup,  I was thinking the same thing.  Wonder if they will bring more or less $$?

Thank You Sponsors!