iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cat tails

Started by Raider Bill, September 04, 2015, 12:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

My pond is getting overrun by cattails.

Deer, dogs and turkeys drink the water so I need something to knock out the cattails without hurting the critters.

Any ideas?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

Can't help you out. Don't know what would be safe. But I like cattails.  ;)

In the winter time the chickadees dig into the heads and find bugs for food. ;)

Soak the heads in diesel, make good torches to burn up web worms and armyworm nests. Keep away from dozers. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Some kinds, the roots are edible and were ground up and made into ??? by Native Americans.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

JohnW

Put on high rubber boots and dig them out with a shovel.  It might take two or three years to get the last little bit of them.

Jeff

I don't think it is possible to shovel them out at least in this part of the country.  If you dig a pond, and put a fence around it, within two years, yer going to have cattails.  I think the secret it water depth. Make that shovel a backhoe and dig the shoreline deeper. I think anything over 18" and the cattails wont grow.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I leave a little bunch out in the ditch in front of the house. I cut them off when the frost has killed them. It's either cattails or horsetails, I'll take the cattails. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Contact the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency.  They will have a recommendation. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

billporterfield

Find a family of muskrats, they will clean the catails and dig holes in the pound
bill

Clark

I have heard that to control broad leaved cattails, you can cut them off just below the water line when they are growing. Apparently that will kill them. Seems to good to be true.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

goose63

Quote from: billporterfield on September 05, 2015, 06:58:15 AM
Find a family of muskrats, they will clean the catails and dig holes in the pound
bill
Muskrats round here don't build mounds any more thy tunnel under the roads and that's not good
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

bucknwfl

Rodeo or any other aquatic glyphosate will work. It will take a couple of seasons because there are roots and seeds that have not sprouted yet.  It is easy to find it is basically an aquatic version of round up.  It will not hurt the critters either
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

WV Mountaineer

Once you figure out how to kill them, figure out how to stop the sedimentation causing them and, you will solve your problem for the future.  Good luck and God bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

mesquite buckeye

During the drought a couple years ago the pond level dropped and the cattails died.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Banjo picker

I wonder if good ole copper sulfate would knock them back...it will kill alge. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

4x4American

If you get on a little rowboat, you can just pluck them out they pull out easily.  Reach down as low as you can on them and give a tug.  They'll come.  As far as wiping them out completely, not sure!
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!