iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pretty handy firewood setup

Started by NH-Murph, September 12, 2015, 12:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NH-Murph

I have been putting off firewood until I picked out an OWB because I wasn't sure how big the firebox would be and that tells me how long to cut the wood.  I finally chose a boiler and have settled on 36" wood. 

Found this splitzilla on Craigslist and bartered off a deer Rifle for it.  It will do 4' wood, but has a block on the ram making a 38" opening.  It has a 5" cylinder with a 3" rod and 36" stroke.  I have no idea where the pump came from, but it is a monster.  It's powered by a nice running Wisconsin TJD motor.  It's an animal!  Splits absolutely anything.

It goes right from the splitter into the tractor bucket.  Once the bucket is stuffed full, simply curl the bucket down to put the ends of the wood on the ground or pile and back up.  Stays stacked and I don't have to touch it again till it's going in the boiler!  I'm diggin' this 3' wood!

It winds up being just a little over 36 cubic feet per bucket, so that's a little over 1/4 cord per bucket load.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cutterboy

Wow, that splitter is a monster. Nice set up you have and nice tractor.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Peter Drouin

Nice when things work out like that. 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

NH-Murph

Thanks fellas.  I have been so beat up, broken, smashed and crashed over the years that I have to try and make the more physical jobs as easy on my body as I can.  This is about as good as I can get it on my budget!  Had my 19th orthopedic operation last winter... I'd like to not see #20 for a few more years!

Warped

If your profile age is right you better make things easy....and that splitter will do it. I looked for something like that and found nothing so grabbed a new 27 ton, but really wanted a seasoned monster. I have little patience once I make up my mind to buy ;D
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

coxy

nice splitter  that long wood is nice but will grow old  ;D I get better burn out of 2ft wood don't seem to get hung up in the stove and don't seem to smash my fingers as mush filling the stove  :)

Jeff

Are (were) you an extreme sports kinda guy?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

gspren

My OWB will take a 40" piece but 36" is better so I mostly cut 18" and stack 2 rows in the fire box. Some of the small limbs that don't need split I'll leave long but at 63 I would rather cut to 18". One good thing about a big splitter like yours it's easy to split shorter when you want.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

4x4American

Holy cow, 19 orthopedic operations!  You're a bruiser!
Boy, back in my day..

NH-Murph

I had big plans to make a run at professional motocross, but my body just didn't hold up.  I had the speed and stamina, but not the luck!  Also had a couple bad industrial accidents.  A few years back I had a 400LB boiler tube fall 50 feet square onto my head.  Almost didn't make it through that one.  Back in my early 20s, a D8R had it's way with my leg, and I was 26 months of operations and PT learning to walk again.  My body will be well used when they finally roll it into the dumpster!

4x4American

Good grief, you really are a bruiser!
Boy, back in my day..

NH-Murph

Lol... I guess so.  It takes a heck of a nurse to haul out my medical record in one trip!  Beat up from my feet up!

gspren

When you get to my age you'll be an authority on arthritis medication.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

r.man

Gspren, I know experienced OWB users who experimented with wood lengths and have settled on shorter rather than longer. They are of the opinion that long wood wastes heat up the chimney compared to shorter wood. This should not be true with a gasser but I can't be sure they are wrong about a normal OWB.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

coxy

Quote from: NH-Murph on September 14, 2015, 10:45:40 AM
I had big plans to make a run at professional motocross, but my body just didn't hold up.  I had the speed and stamina, but not the luck!  Also had a couple bad industrial accidents.  A few years back I had a 400LB boiler tube fall 50 feet square onto my head.  Almost didn't make it through that one.  Back in my early 20s, a D8R had it's way with my leg, and I was 26 months of operations and PT learning to walk again.  My body will be well used when they finally roll it into the dumpster!
I ran snowcross for 2 years

NH-Murph

Snowcross is no joke... I sure wouldn't want to get hit with those studded tracks and carbide skegs!  These days, I stick to my '72 Elan for the winter  8)

chrissheerman

nice setup nh murph. I also like the description of where your from I may have to be a copy cat on that because thats same area as me.

NH-Murph

Unity... I'm just off Unity Rd in Newport!  Howdy Neighbor!

49er

I have an outside wood heater that I made back in the early 80's. I have not used it sense I put in a geo-thermal heat pump. It will take four foot wood. And if the wood is small that's the length I cut it. But, when the wood gets bigger and full of knots I might only cut it ten inches. I have never had a wood spliter nor do I want one. I just use my saw more. I don't make pretty neat stacks I just pile it in bins.  I know many will think it is not very efficient but it has always worked for me.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

NH-Murph

I am slightly OCD about my woodpiles.  I don't use a string to keep them straight, but they are right there in the yard, so I like them to be fairly neatly stacked.  I like doing firewood.  Nobody bugs me, and I get some quality Me time.  Plus I like the exercise. 

Peter Drouin

I get some exercise too.

And get the saw stuck. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

NH-Murph

I got my saw pinched twice today... I blame the cold meds ;)

Thank You Sponsors!