iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Aus Stringy Bark - slabbing

Started by sigidi, September 25, 2004, 06:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigidi

A big hey to all,

I have some real purty Australian yellow stringybark logs, also have a need for garden sleepers. Here in Aus farmers use the stringy for fencing posts without any chemical/substance treating for critters and rot.

Herein lies the question, would it be reasonable to assume that it would be okay for me to use these as garden sleepers without any treatments and have the sleepers last for 10 maybe 15 years without replacing???

Any specific knowledge fomr the Ozzies would be great, other info always welcome!! ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

sawmillsi

sigidi,

Here is some information from Euclid, a condensed version of Forest Trees of Australia on CDROM.

White mahogany  

Eucalyptus acmenoides Schauer in W.G.Walpers, Repert. Bot. Syst. 2: 924 (1843)

T: Castle Hill, N.S.W., 14 Jan. 1817, A.Cunningham 20; iso: K, MEL.

Medium sized or tall tree to 45 m. Bark rough to small branches, fibrous, grey or grey-brown, held in flattish strips rather than like typical stringybark. Juvenile stem rounded in cross-section, smooth; juvenile leaves opposite and sessile for several to many pairs before becoming alternate and petiolate, ovate, 5.5-14 cm long, 2-7 cm wide, discolorous, glossy, green. Adult leaves alternate, petiolate, lanceolate, 7-13 cm long, 1.2-3.5 cm wide, base oblique or tapering to petiole, margin entire, discolorous, glossy, green, penniveined, moderately to densely reticulate, intramarginal vein parallel to and just within margin or well removed from it, oil glands island and intersectional. Inflorescences terminal, or axillary unbranched, peduncles 1-1.9 cm long, 11-15 flowered; buds pedicellate, ovoid to fusiform, green to yellow, scar absent, operculum conical or sometimes beaked, stamens irregularly flexed or inflexed, anthers reniform to cordate, versatile, dorsifixed, dehiscing by confluent slits, style long, locules 3-5 each with two vertical ovule rows; flowers white. Fruit pedicellate, barrel-shaped, hemispherical or cup-shaped, 0.4-0.8 cm wide, disc descending, valves 3-5, enclosed. Seed brown, 1-2.5 mm long, pyramidal or obliquely pyramidal, dorsal surface smooth, hilum terminal.

NOTES

Eucalyptus acmenoides (resemblance to the genus Acmena)

A medium-sized to tall forest tree occurring from north of Sydney through coastal New South Wales to north of Mareeba in northern Queensland. It has fibrous bark held in flattish strips, slightly discolorous adult leaves with dense reticulation. Juvenile leaves are large, ovate and opposite for many pairs and are conspicuous in the field. It is related to three other white mahoganies (section Amentum), E. apothalassica, E. umbra and E. carnea which have concolorous leaves. It is a primitive monocalypt, recognised principally by the characters above, which may indicate some affinity with the blackbutts (section Pseudophloius) and the peppermints (section Aromatica).

USES

Poles, sleepers, bridge and wharf construction, stumps, plates, flooring, joists and weatherboard, honey.

Simon

sigidi

Thanks Si,

where can I get CD!!!

I only know the common name, is this info for an actual stringy bark or close enought to fit??

I sort of lost track while I was writing - a few drinks for a non-drinker does it 2 me about 3 times a yr ;D

I was also looking at confirming some info re slabbing of stringy bark - been told I have to completey remove the bark o the tree to slab, is this right? Apparently the bark does nasty stuff to the chain??

sawmillsi

Try a good book shop - the publisher is CSIRO - same as forest trees of aust.

Euc. acmenoides is the one you are talking about (read the distribution part above)

All trees with fiberous bark will be harder on your milling equipment then smooth barks just because they collect wind blown dirt.

You should experiment.

Simon

Ianab

Here in NZ the common stringybarks are E. globoidea, E. muellerana and E. pilularis. As far as timber goes they are all grouped in together and sound the same as what Simon describes. Heartwood is rated as durable and should work well for garden sleepers. And yeah.. the bark is kinda 'stringy' and tough to saw thru, removing it will make sawing easier especially with a chain mill

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawmillsi

ianab,

the e. globoidea and e. muellerana is White Stringybark and Yellow Stringybark - they have a very different distributation to the e. acmenoides (we call it White mahogany around here).

the colours are similar and weights about the same but the trees are different.

the e. pilularis is a half-bark (not a stringybark) and is one of Australias most important trees.

the timber has a more honey colour and the tree is very different.

due to australia being so big and having >800 eucs (and sub species, coryimbias etc...) commom names (white stringybark) varies from state to state and sometimes from region to region.

in australia we have a durability class rating;

class 1 (or royal species) = no treatment, ground contact >25 years

class 2 = no treatment, ground contact >15 years

class 3 = no treatment, ground contact >5 years

class 4 = no treatment, ground contact <5 years

Simon

Ianab

Thanks Simon
I know there are hundreds of Eucs and much confusion as to correct names and identification.
Those are the imported ones we call 'Stringybarks', but it's a group of trees and rather a vague grouping. Most just call em Gum Trees  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawmillsi

You would be suprised at the numebr of Australian sawmillers who think the same thing :D :D :D :D

The difference between them and me is that i'm a forester.

If you ever need any help with any ozzie species let me know.

Jake Peterson was telling me your a miller on weekends, do you mill to make money or just have some fun? Probably both eh.

Simon

sigidi

Si and Ian

I'll take a pic of these guys when I am at the land next and post it for your opinion on species id - I was so ignorant I didn't know the stringy was a Euc!! :-/

The heart in a couple  seems a bit fragile ??? more like rot but they where just salvage tree's so nothing special and certainly not high grade.

Ianab

QuoteJake Peterson was telling me your a miller on weekends, do you mill to make money or just have some fun? Probably both eh.
Mostly cut for fun and to get some more interesting wood for various projects. I've sold a little bit of wood already, enough to cover some of the gas the 090 goes thru  :D
Sawing in NZ is about 95% Radiata Pine, 3% Douglas fir and 2 % everything else  ::) I like the interesting 2% and it's the easiest way to get hold of interesting wood.

Ian

Thank You Sponsors!