iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pex insulation inside home?

Started by overclocking, September 11, 2015, 08:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

overclocking

I am in the process of running pex lines and I came across a few different questions.

My thermo pex is 50 ft and runs from boiler to the corner of my garage. Currently the garage is not insulated, but I am going to finish it and insulate it later this winter.

The pex from the thermo comes up out of the ground and will be going into the garage just above the cinder block, about 18 inches above the ground. Is there a cap that I can use to transition 90* from the thermo pex to the entrance into the house?

Another question was about insulating the pex inside the house. The pex runs through the studs inside the garage wall for 30ft, then 90* and another 30ft under a crawl space and eventually into my boiler room by passing through the basement wall. Should I insulate the pex in the crawl space and wall or leave it as is? Would 30ft of exposed pex be enough to heat the garage up once it is insulated and finished? The garage is 25x30ft with 10 feet ceilings.

Thanks!

xlogger

My pex runs across my basement to the hot water heater and is insulated and still warms the basement up a little.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

LittleJohn

I don't think 30' of un-isulated PEX will be enough to comfortably/consistantly heat the garage (but then again its a garage, anything warmer than freezer or outside in winter is better than nothing).  But you might see heat loss from that section of pipe that might be enought to effect the delta T between supply and return to BOILER. 

I always like to insulate exposed PEX lines, help get the hottest water to the final application, be in Water to Air HX, in-slab, staple up, Cast-iron radiators, etc. 

Holmes

Could you use a 6" pvc 90 to cap the pipe and enter the garage. Your garage when insulated will need 30,000 btu's to heat it, uninsulated 3 times that.  The pex tubing will give off about 30 btu's per lineal foot, so next to no heating value. I would recommend insulating the pex pipe. 
Think like a farmer.

overclocking

Thanks! I will insulate the pex and just a forced air heat exchanger to heat the garage.

John Mc

Overclocking - fill out your profile to let us know where you are located. The answers may depend on whether heating your garage means "taking the chill off" in a warmer climate vs making it possible to work in it during a -20˚F stretch of weather further north.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Dave Shepard

I would also insulate it. I have about 80 feet of uninsulated in my basement and it's pretty dang hot down there right now, and normally my basement is nice and cool in the summer.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!