iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 084 1/2 inch pitch????

Started by Erick, September 25, 2004, 02:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erick

Hello guys, new to this site so sorry if I'm asking simple questions. Wanted to know if it was possible to get a 1/2 inch pitch drive sprocket for a stihl 084 or if the sprocket off of a 090 would fit?????any info would be helpfull.  I am new to the  world of big saws (biggest thing I've had untill now is a 046).Also wanted to know if anyone has ever heard of a BURNS (stamped on all the drive links) brand saw chain? Thanks and try to be kind.
It's better to have it and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.

DanManofStihl

Do you have a supply of 1/2 inch chain that stuff is almost impossible to get their are lots of people around hear who would pay good money for that chain. I do not think the 090 clutch will fit on the 084 but I could be wrong. I would just run a .404 chain on their it is narrower and more redialy avaliable it is also easier to fix and get parts for. Thanks hope this helped
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

sawguy21

1/2 inch chain is for harvesters,  not chain saws. The .404 is a lot more practical. What are you cutting in IN that needs such large artillery? If you are not familiar with it, I suggest staying away from the 090. It is a great saw in the right hands but too heavy for most users and parts are starting to dry up unless you live in Brazil.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Erick

Havent cut anythig with it yet. I bought the 084 without a bar and chain and recently got a bar for it on ebay that came off of an 090 (lots of 090 parts on ebay). It had the 1/2 inch chain so I was just wanting to use what I had when the bar is 48" its cheper to buy a sprocket than a chain. As you said not alot of trees in indiana that need a saw this big but I have a few of them and like my grandfather always said "its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" I dont plan to use this saw often so I was trying to use what I had. I was also thinking the 1/2" chain might not clogg as bad as the 404 and might not need a skip chain (half the teeth half the speed)? what do you guys think.

DanManofStihl

I would stay with the .404 It is easier to get and would be cut faster then the 1/2 inch since it is smaller.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Ed

I have never had a problem with my 084 clogging. Just go with normal .404 pitch chain unless you got a 40+ inch bar, then get skip chain. Older 084's had a small discharge opening (like mine), if your concerned about clogging you can buy a new side cover & it will have the bigger opening.
You don't say what brand bar you bought but Stihl has this stupid idea that long bars need to be hardnose for the helper handle. This is ok on a 090 that turns slow, it just doesn't work worth a hoot on a higher speed saw like the 084. You get way to much friction trying to pull a really long chain around that tip. You need a sprocket tip on a long bar.

Erick

Ed,
    Thanks for the reply I bought the bar off of ebay and am not sure of the brand. It is a 48" (or maybe a 50" the bar is 54" total he had it listed as a 50 but I think its classed as a 48???) it is a wheel tip bar and the only markings are on the wheel (Torrington) if anyone knows about this bar any info would be appreciated. It came with a 1/2 chain that has burns stamped on the drive links (again I never heard of it and need info) the outfit came off of an 090 so I had a 50/50 chance of it being 404 or 1/2 inch (I lost the gamble). Its not a big deal I will just buy a 404 skip chain.That seems to be the best way to go in my part of the country and its not that expensive. I was thinking of doing some milling with the saw and all of the wood will be hardwood (white oak, ash, walnut, and some REALLY big sycamores) so I was trying to find out if anyone knew of a 1/2" sprocket. Sorry for the long wind and thank you all for all of the great information I really like this site : )

Dean Hylton

Hi Eric, This is the guy who sold you the bar and chain. klickitatsackett.  I might be able to find you some more chain if you want it. Also check with Oregon for a sproket.

Erick

Thanks Dean if I find a 1/2" sproket I may need it but it looks like I'll be buying the .404 chain instead. I think the Man of stihl was looking for some 1/2" chain, you may want to get with him. By the way, where dose the burns chain come from I've never heard of it before, just curious. Anyway Thanks again.
         P.S. Oregon only had the .404 still looking for a 1/2"

Dean Hylton

That is the first time I ever seen that chain. got me stumped. I did notice though that it seemed to be quite beefy. Looked to be good dirt chain (chipper) Have you by any chance checked with cheapstihlparts (ebay) for a sprocket?  Bryce might have one.

Thank You Sponsors!