iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

471 detroit

Started by coxy, September 10, 2015, 03:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

did they only make them for boats never heard of them in skidders or loaders

treeslayer2003

i have seen them in wheel loaders, knucklebooms, small trucks and irrigation pumps.

larry1

My buddy has a Nelson loader with a 4-71 and I  have seen them in old Champion graders , apparently they are good engines .

oldseabee

Hancock model 294 double barreled scraper had twin 471 engines front and back. I may be showing my age.

BargeMonkey

Had one in my first fellerbuncher, an 1187 Case with a 471. Actually was a nice machine once you got used to the foot swing. Guy went to show me how to run it one Sunday afternoon, climbed on the hill and snatched a good sized pine tree, and flopped it right over. Tracks pointed straight in the air, wish I could find the picture.  ;D

NH-Murph

I spent a lot of my early childhood with earmuffs and a hammer listening to a 471 scream away in the engine room of my Dad's scallop dragger.  Day care was expensive and I couldn't go overboard from the engine room, so that's where I was put when we were fishin'.  Still get a few early memories when I hear one, and incidentally still love hammers!

BEEMERS

I also grew up with 4-71 detroits..screamers,youd hear them from a mile away.they were really common in front end loaders and graders. I have one in a road grader right now.Also have a smaller Detroit in a screening plant and a 8V92 Detroit in a Kenworth tractor.

Spartan

We have one in a Pacer 300 grader

lynde37avery

My uncle in VT has a Lane sawmill it has a 471 detroit powerplant.
Detroit WHAT?

coxy

using them a lot more than I thought  ;D never here of them much around here  do any of yours have turbos   better or as good as a 453

treeslayer2003

well its 4x71 cubic inches so its a bigger engine than a 453 which is 4x53 ci. never seen one with a turbo.

Warped

Had a 6v92 (Silver?) in a 1984 Sanford fire truck bought from the local village. The neat thing was you could bolt two blocks end to end for a V12....
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Warped on September 14, 2015, 12:37:13 PM
Had a 6v92 (Silver?) in a 1984 Sanford fire truck bought from the local village. The neat thing was you could bolt two blocks end to end for a V12....
I was on a single screw riveted hull boat that had a 16-71 quad turbo wiggled in the hull, was neat. The 53-71-92 are slowly going away, we see less and less of them in the marine world, 149 Detroit are basically extinct now.

Thank You Sponsors!