iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Use a substitute fuel filter?

Started by Oldylocks, September 08, 2015, 06:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldylocks

I have an older Craftsman chainsaw.  It needs a new gas tank filter, but it is no longer available.   Can I just replace it wiih a filter from a different saw and will that work OK?

sawguy21

First of all, welcome to the FF. There is lots of information here on saws, some of it is even factual. ;D Yes you can substitute another filter as long it is a modern cylinder design. Some old saws had weird systems exclusive to the manufacturer.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mad murdock

Welcome Oldylocks!  If it is an older craftsman, and not an ancient one (say within the last 30 years, give or take), Poulan made a lot of saws for Craftsman, as did Solo.  If you throw up a pic of it, maybe we can help you identify it's true color ;)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Oldylocks

Thank you both for replying and welcoming me to the forum.

The saw is a Craftsman Chainsaw Model 358.355.051.  I pulled a loose filter out of the gas tank, along with a hose that was crumbling.  I can order the fuel lines from online, but like I said in my original post, the fuel filter is not available.  I plan on posting a picture of the fuel filter (I'm challenged with the process, so will enlist the help of my son as he is much more tech. savvy - pic to follow over the next day, or so).

Thanks again

dougand3

That's an old reed valve saw. 358 means Beaird-Poulan made it. Of the Poulan 1800, 2000, S25DA genre that I've worked on, they took a 3/32" ID Tygon fuel line. Most any chainsaw pickup/filter should work. If it's been setting up for a long time, I bet the carb will be gunky with stiff diaphragms. When the fuel line has crumbled, the same thing can happen in the carb.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

beenthere

Oldy
Check in with our sponsor Chainsawr (see logo on left column) for a good replacement.

Good luck getting it going again.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Oldylocks

Thank you, all.  I'll follow your advice(s).... take care.

fossil

It's a Poulan Micro.

They generally used a Walbro felt type fuel filter but any cylinder type fuel filter that will fit the fuel line will work. Watch you don't pinch the fuel line inside the handle when you replace it. Fuel line ID will be 1/8" or 3/32"
OD 3/16" Tygon.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/craftsman-parts-all-products-parts/model-358355051/0247/1503200.html?searchType=modelSearch&prst=&q=358.355.051&searchTerm=358355051&shdPart=

Fuel filter.

Tim

Thank You Sponsors!