iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are you working on?

Started by Dave Shepard, September 08, 2015, 06:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heartwood

Our latest cruck frame, raised on Friday with a workshop taught by Jack Sobon and Neil Godden. Then dismantled and will be stored until the foundation is ready later this year. To be raised in central Vermont; I can post the date here when it's set if anyone would like to join in.

John S

Will,
Beautiful frame, what are its dimensions?
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

fishfighter

Heartwood

16' x 20'; this will be the kitchen, dining, sitting room area with sleeping loft, and an addition to another wing about the same size running at right angles behind the loft.

Dave Shepard

That looks great! You are shifting the epicenter of cruck building away from Berkshire County.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

tule peak timber

Blackening a steel band for a fancy bar top .Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

brendonv

Looking awesome.

Got your text. I wish you luck and applause when this is in your rear view mirror!
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Dave Shepard

Almost done. There will be transom windows over the big doors, and a white oak ramp in front of each door. Still have to make the small door and mount some more hardware.

brendonv

www.VorioTree.com

Dave Shepard

It's all done with smoke and mirrors. :D

Thanks. I always try to do the best I can.

chopper2

how are the girts attached? I think that is the name.  The pieces that the outside boards are nailed to.  I have seen them mortised before, but in the earlier pictures I don't see any mortises for them.  Is there another way to attach them later?

brendonv

Post #133 is the door side, so no girts. Thats why ur not seeing the pockets.

www.VorioTree.com

chopper2

ok I get it now. not the same on both sides. thank you.

Dave Shepard

No girts on the door side. There are door posts and headers in housings that were added after the fact. They would have been mortised in, had the fenestration been decided earlier.

frwinks

looks like an awesome spot for a great looking barn 8)

Dave Shepard

Not really a progres update, just a neat shot out the window of the barn.

Greyhound

Working on a gate for the front porch to keep the dogs in.  White oak from my property we milled a few years ago. 

Dave Shepard

I haven't done any timber framing lately, so no new updates really. I had to plane the small door on the 16'x20' barn a little bit, so I took a winter shot of the barn. It's only 12 here now, but wasn't too bad inside out of the wind.

Jim_Rogers

I'm continuously working on plans for this 36' x 62' Ag barn for a winery in California.

Hopefully I'll have them done very soon.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

logman

I have 2 of these pavilions to cut.

LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

brendonv

Just a small frame. A warm up for my next project.

www.VorioTree.com

Dave Shepard

Jim_Rogers

Friday, I finished up a set of plans for a 16' x 32' grist mill building. The mill works will be separate from the mill building frame.

This frame will be raised in South Boston, VA at a historical museum site.

I hope to visit the site soon.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Don P

Jim,
I've been doing some consulting on the structure of an old mill here. It ran both coarse and fine millstones as well as 3 roller mills from an overshot wheel. The dam washed out in '61 but it has been kept in pretty good condition, we turned and cleaned out the wheel a few days ago by hand, bearings still good enough that one person could do it. There are a couple of gentlemen in the region up here that the family has consulted with on the machinery and those parts of the structure. I would like to visit when you come down if we can work it as well as put the owners and experts together if they are interested. You know how there are some accents you can pick out of a crowd, South Boston is one of those. Keep an eye on the old smaller stucco houses around there as well, a number of them are log cabins under all that mud.

Thank You Sponsors!