iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are you working on?

Started by Dave Shepard, September 08, 2015, 06:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I figured we needed a thread where we could post a pic or two of what we were working on without having to start a new thread all the time. Like the "Whatcha sawin'?" thread in the Sawmill section.

We built this little roof this week. No joinery above the plates, but still interesting.

So, what are you building?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Justin Bailey

I am making a metal-roofed open sided firewood shed and I just got all the bents finished. I have turned my question thread into a pictoral where I have more on this.

gww

Sorry, no picture but I am building an out house.   Last week it was another box to be used for raised bed gardening.  Niether one could be considered art work like yours.  I do find that everything I build takes more wood then I thought it might or at least seems like it when using a manual mill.
Cheers
gww

ps nice metal wood sheds also, you posted while I was typing

BCsaw

Spot on Dave. ;D

Good to have a thread to add the small bits that get done.

Will get pics up soon.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Dave Shepard

10" x12" white oak purlin posts. A couple of them are 40', but the finished length is 33'. Sitting here waiting for the pine wall posts to get here.

<be>

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

razor

just finished. 16x20 with English tying joints on post tops.

brendonv

Dave,the op, was gracious enough a couple weeks ago to give me a personal course. That next weekend i knocked out all 8 corner braces. Laying out a corner brace just never sank in until dave showed me, and that had always kept me from going forward in timber framing. Now its a no brainer.  8)

Im working on a wood shed, 12'x16 or 18'. My first tf.

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Dave Shepard

Nice! I was hoping you would show us what you were working on.

I've discovered that if I upload a photo to the forum using my phone on 4GLTE, it will upload in less than two seconds. I have excellent cell service at work, so everyone can expect more photos. We have a really neat project coming up with a lot of crooked, forked and tapered stuff in it, but that won't be for another month of two, so that should be worth a few pics. It even has two posts scribed on to the top of a rock. :D

BCsaw

Razor, very nice! Are you leaving it open?

Dave, those 40', 10x12's will need muscle to move them! :D

Bendonv, great start.

BCsaw

Dave, I am really curious to see what kind of unique things you do. I plan on incorporating some uniqueness in my wood shop. Y's, curves, live edge, etc.

That is one thing that I liked about Jack Sobon, using all the "cool" stuff in a frame.

timberwrestler

Dave,

Where did you get those white oak sticks, and did you mill them?
www.uncarvedblockinc.com
www.facebook.com/uncarvedblockinc

Dave Shepard

I milled them, and the location is a secret. :D There are a few more at that location, but I'm not sure my boss wants to sell any of them. Do you need long white oak? There is more acreage that we are looking at, and there might be some more oak on it.

John_P

Razor, what are your plans for your addition? Put a roof on it for a patio area, fully enclose for additional living
area, other? Looks nice by the way

razor

Thanks John. The frame is for a client and I believe the plan is to enclose it as a 3 season extension to their living room. You'll notice the frame roof pitch doesn't match the house pitch. Something that bugged me at first but the client insisted on a 8:12 for the frame. I got over it :D

razor

And an outhouse i made on spec back in the spring. I scribed an apple tree crotch into the frame. I love the contrast between the almost black timber and the apple wood. Landark on the apple.

brendonv

That looks great. How would you attatch the frame to the flooring when doing it like that?
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

razor

There are post bottom tenons going through the subfloor. There are a few ways you could secure the posts. Simpson straps or drive in some structural screws. Or just use the wall sheathing to hold it together.

Carpenter

This is a deck I built this summer.  Part of it is timber framed, part of is not. But, it's all very strong.  Eastern red cedar with black locust pegs. 

Here's another shot of the timber framed part.

I used curved braces to get the head room around the planned hot tub.  I probably would not have considered curved braces if it wasn't for a Forestry Forum discussion about curved braces around the time I was designing this deck.  I'm glad I used curved braces because straight braces would have crowded the hot tub too much.  So, Thanks for that idea guys.

Here it is during the fit up. 

Yes, I do like to get my joints perfect if possible. 

All of this was possible because I set up this pergola at the local farm and ranch expo last year.

It generated a lot of interest, and not only did it lead to this deck, but it also led to another pergola (which is still on the schedule for this summer, I've got the logs in my yard, it's next on the list as a matter of fact,) Also several other tentative pergola orders. 

Jim_Rogers

Nice joints, and nice pergola frame.
Thanks for sharing.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

Today I worked on a 25' long stick of butter. Those dark spots are peg holes. A nice change from the garbage the local mill has been sending. Too bad for them, we have an ongoing need for pine and oak timbers. Looks like I'll have to start supplying them on top of the work I already have to do now. It's like they are shipping junk to see how gullible we are. (And charging top dollar). They've had to buy back about a third of it so far. Do they really think we're going to build a barn with two vertical edger marks down each face of each timber? :D

jimdad07

Hopefully this gets on the page right.  Here's my slab and my sawmill carriage on the slab getting ready for milling my frame timbers.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

jimdad07

Don't know what you guys are seeing but on my end the picture is on its side.  It's right if I check it on the mobile site.

Banjo picker

Its going down hill looks like to me.  Good thing you got that loader bucket holing it back.   :)  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

jimdad07

It's this Upstate NY landscape, very strange place to live!

Dave Shepard

We are back on the small barn project this week. We put down the floor and finished this morning. It's a sandwich of 1.25" pine, 1/2" cdx and 1.25" wide pine on top. I had a big stack of wide boards left from sawing timbers last summer. The joists are 3" lower than the sills, so the floor is flush with the top of the sill beams. I straightline ripped one edge of all the boards on my mill, then used my Festool rail saw to make runs of consistent widths. There are runs from 10" to 18" wide. Some edges were just the mill sawn edges, and we were still able to keep gaps under a sixteenth of an inch. The Festool was also great for getting really square end cuts on the wide boards.

This is an exterior shot of the building, with the compound roof stair tower on the left.

Thank You Sponsors!