iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yellow Jackets

Started by drobertson, September 08, 2015, 12:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Haa, Haa, while unloading short of 1000bdft today, Wes's corgi nudged me on the calf! :D  and yes I jumped! :D  Wes said what's up?  I said nothing why?  Well you jumped,  I said I thought I was had again! :D :D :D   These critters will make one jumpy :D :D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

samandothers

Thanks for the info on skunks digging up yellow jackets.  What ever would do that is one tough bugger!

I made a return to the location of the active nest after dark.  Some gas in the large hole did the trick. 

OneWithWood

Ammonia applied to the area will stop the sting immediately.  I believe ammonia is the active ingredient in sting kill swabs.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

fishfighter

One of my other dogs found that DanG nest yesterday. She had hives everywhere. Thank God that my daughter just happen to be here. She is a Vet and had the meds to take care of my old girl.

I think I know were the nest is. I think it is in some razor grass close to the house.

Magicman

Pour gasoline in it tonight and lay a brick or board over the hole.   :snowball:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

Found out how to catch yellow jackets today. I just fermented my second batch of elderbrry wine and dumped the bag containing the seeds and skins in my compost pile. About a hour later I walked by the pile and there were hundreds of yellow jackets eating the pulp that has about a 14% alcohol content. Not one of them could fly. I just sat there and wacked them with a shovel. The whole nest must have come out for a party. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

drobertson

Haa Haa Haa :D :D :D :D that had to be a blast to see!  good for you, but have to say, this could be a good warning sign of things to come for you ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

fishfighter

Quote from: Magicman on September 20, 2015, 05:56:39 PM
Pour gasoline in it tonight and lay a brick or board over the hole.   :snowball:

I just don't know were they are at. There is over 100' of that razor grass and it is real thick. It's on my todo list today to find it. ;D

Magicman

You really do not have to be concerned about finding the nest.  Just go walking through the grass and they will find YOU.  electricuted-smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OneWithWood

Quote from: Magicman on September 21, 2015, 07:44:37 AM
You really do not have to be concerned about finding the nest.  Just go walking through the grass and they will find YOU.  electricuted-smiley

That's the truth!  This morning I was falling trees when I stepped on a nest bucking one to length.  Ouch!  Ouch!  Two quick stings one on my arm and one on my side.  Would have been more but I had my Wild Ass jeans on that are double thick and the stingers did not penetrate.
I shut down the saw and hot footed it over to the tractor.  I keep a can of Yellow Jacket spray in the tool box.  Sprayed myself down and then went to spray the nest.  Can goes empty so I grabbed the chainsaw gas mix and poured a goodly amount down the hole.  I still needed to buck the tree to open the path back up so I could get out.  That nest was right by the tree and the path.  Bucked a 9' log out, put my gear back on the tractor, picked up the log and got out of the area.  Good thing it was cool this morning and the little buggers were not at full speed.  I will go back tomorrow and finish up, with a new can of spray!
One With Wood

mesquite buckeye

HF electric flyswatters + yellowjackets = Good Sport. :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:

Maybe I already said that. Must be getting old. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Chuck White

It's kind of funny though, for a while after disturbing a bees nest, even a fly will make the average person nervous!  :D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nomad

The other day I inadvertently hit a really big hornets nest with the exhaust from a lawn mower.  I only got stung twice, but that's 'cuz I'm a lot faster than I look.  (POSTON, you keep out of this! :D)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WDH

I got stung in the face by several yellow jackets last week while mowing food plots.  Face swole up bad.  I hates yellow jackets. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

When I was a teenager I was working in a cemetery near home putting up a monument job (Dad had a family monument business) and we were loading up. My helper/driver (I could run the job but wasn't old enough to drive so had an adult helper) pointed to my pants leg and it looked like something was climbing up it. I tried to shake it out several times with no luck and was fixing to shed them right there then we finally realized I was standing next to the exhaust of the running truck and the exhaust was puff, puff, puffing looking like something climbing up my britches leg. We had all kinds of stinging insects and poisonous snakes there in NW Fla so I did not want to share. it was funny afterwards but not at first.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OneWithWood

Went back with my new can of spray and got the big logs out.  Going back this afternoon to get the rest.  Only saw a few yellow jackets this morning and was able to dispatch them with the 20' jet spray.  The stings from yesterday don't sting anymore but the itch is driving me nuts.  Didn't get much sleep last night.
One With Wood

Thank You Sponsors!