iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stress in southern cherry

Started by Joey Grimes, September 07, 2015, 04:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey Grimes

Cut some cherry that had stress and was going to cut up t4-5 long it got lot worse after drying. Is this more a problem with southern cherry?
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have to put a lot of weight on my Cherry and will even stack, sticker and put bands around ir. A good straight Cherry tree in S.C. is rare. Most of our Cherry is from crooked logs..
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Joey Grimes

That's what's odd the logs were cutting look like veneer quality logs. One log lays flat when cutting and the next one goes crazy
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Trees that grow on the edge of a forest will surely have stress in them. Most of mine are yard trees and they still like to bow up on me sometimes.  >:(
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

I have found it very necessary to saw parallel to the sweep,!!! and stack very level with weight.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bkaimwood

I don't have southern cherry, but most of the cherry I've sawn is the same way...I have had stacks of 10/4 cherry, over 4 foot high, lined with 80lbs bags of sacrete on top...and one slab 6 down wants to twist...and it does, twisting the ones above it...I always center the pith on cherry, and isolate it to one board or slab...beyond that, not much u can do...
bk

Biocmp

Would QS'ing help reduce overall loss? I know you may initially get less BF but perhaps QS'ing would result in less movement and less total loss.

5quarter

probably would help to QS, but most qs cherry looks best flatsawn. I think I would grade saw it and take what I could get.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!