iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hanging chainsaws

Started by Engineer, September 06, 2015, 01:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Is there any cause for concern if chainsaws are stored hanging by the rear handle, from hooks or pegs?  I see saws stored in scabbards vertically, which makes me think it's OK, but I'm not sure.

The easiest place for me to store my saws is by hanging them from the rafters of my woodshed.

Pine Ridge

I don't believe it would hurt a thing, i would have them empty on gas and oil so they wouldn't be as heavy. Stress on plastic parts would be my only concern, but i don't think it would be enough to develop a leak in a gas tank seam or something similar. Others may have experience storing them like that and chime in with concerns.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

nitehawk55

I hang mine with the bicycle hooks that are rated at 20lb but I hang them from the top handle with bar so they are level .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

WV Mountaineer

I hang all mine from 20 penny nails in the garage wall vertically.  So far so good.  Never had a problem and it beats the bars sticking out to trip on.  God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

Dave Shepard

I've seen it done quite often. I don't know of any reason not to. The best saw storage was a multi leader cherry tree that I dropped next to a friends barn. He put the first ten feet of it inside and bored the saws into it and let them stick out. He also hung all of his ropes and climbing gear from branch stubs.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Spike60

Very few states allow chainsaw hanging these days; lethal injection being the preferred.............oh, wait a minute.....

Seriously, there's really no problem with storing them that way. Only thing I'd suggest is don't do it with the fluids full or close to full. In that position the tank vents could be blocked off and the saw may start weeping bar oil or fuel as the temp goes up and down.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

sawguy21

A dealership I worked at used Dave's method for an effective sales display, we had a well seasoned birch log. Unfortunately the bars rusted, there was moisture trapped in the slits.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ada Shaker

In my personal opinion, if your going to store any tool for any lenghth of time it should be done so appropriately. Everyones location and requirements will be a little bit different. Humidity, heat, corrosive enviroments, or other things that might affect the materials of the tool when stored for extended periods. In general terms, and you probably know this, drain fuels in particular, etc.... back in the days of old, rifle parts were all packed with grease and put in a large wooden box, and then packed with more grease to keep the air out. I dont beleive you should have to go to this extreme for your chainsaws.  However, I believe it to be a good idea to remove bar and chain and keep the chaisaw clean from saw dust etc. Once bar and chain is clean it also pays to keep it greased/lubed or submerged in oil to prevent corrosion. Wood dust is full of stuff that can ruin steel and a good chain saw. As far as hanging from the rafters been a good thing depends on your situation. Their was once an old bloke who used to love collecting old books, in the end, he had so many books in the home he ended up having to restump his whole hose because it had slowly but gradually sunk with the weight of so many books. Just bear in mind the dead loads and any live loads, wind loads, etc your roof may be subjected to. Bear in mind also that uv light  is not too kind on plastics even with uv stabilises in them. If you wish to display your saws, that may be a diffent thing, but in general engineering terms, best to keep them well supported/secured from underneath. Just my two bobs worth, cheers.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

crazy4saws

I started hanging a few of my saws from the rafters about a year ago. I was running out of room everywhere else so I made a few custom brackets and its worked perfectly. Im sure the bicycle hook work great but Im a cheapie so if I can make it out of scrap from work that works for me. I attached mine to the rafters with two 1/4" bolts. Here are some pics

I want to get more of my saws up this way but lighting starts to become an issue. I have 2 saws racks that hold 8 saws each aswell all the other saws have to go up in the attic.

Post some pictures of your saws hanging when your done!

Thank You Sponsors!