iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Identifying curly maple while it's still standing

Started by NH-Murph, September 02, 2015, 12:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NH-Murph

Are there any dead giveaway characteristics that one can observe on standing maple to tell if it is curly? 

mesquite buckeye

There was a thread about birdseye maple a while ago. Often you can see the figure in the bark if you look closely. The bark is a recent reflection of what is inside.  ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

NH-Murph

Thanks!  I have a few with some lumpy trunks and wavy bark that are in an area I am cutting firewood on the wood lot.  If they have a chance of being curly or birdseye or something that would make nice gunstocks, I want to leave them vertical until I get a mill... Hopefully sooner than later :)

mesquite buckeye

Sounds curly. The bark only indicates the last maybe 5-10 years of growth, as it weathers away as new bark forms to the inside. Still, it is the best indicator. Hopefully the curly will run deep. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Don't forget the pictures of the bark and the milled lumber for your buddies. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!