iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chrome Standall Tooth Sharpening

Started by chopperdr47, August 31, 2015, 07:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chopperdr47

I've just acquired a new (to me) 54" 7 gauge circle blade with 2 1/2 x 7 shanks and standall bits. It cuts pretty good but when I put my Jockey grinder on to sharpen it, the ruby stone that I have on it barely scratches the teeth. I'm pretty sure that they are not carbide so I'm assuming they are chrome. I get a slight straw colored spark when the stone first contacts the tooth but then nothing.

I have seen a blue stone for the Jockey. Will that do the job or do I need to pony up the bigger bucks for the diamond wheel?
If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

drobertson

I know nothing about circle bits, but do know about grinding.  And it sounds like carbide to me just from your description, maybe not, but, you might check the weight of one and see if you don't know the difference visually,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ron Wenrich

Put up a picture, if you can.  It doesn't sound like chrome.  I used chrome bits and they are basically a thin coating of chrome  After i knocked off the face on the first sharpening, I could use a hand file to sharpen.  I used a grey stone, and that had no problem with the grinding. 

I did run into a batch of really hard teeth one time that were hardened to hard.  We did some experimenting with them and called Simonds to the carpet on it.  It turned out that we weren't the only ones with the problem, and it was primarily those in my area.  We all had the same supplier.  That one was really tough to sharpen, even with a grinder. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!