iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hornets

Started by grassfed, August 31, 2015, 04:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grassfed

Today I was opening up a skid road that I haven't been down for 3 years. I was on the skidder pushing some blowdown off the trail. Just as the skidder got hung up and would not go forward I got attacked by a swarm of hornets that had made a home in the blowdown. I tried to go forward for a moment while I was being stung and then I thought about getting off and running. Well I knew that I could not just give my skidder over to the swarm so I threw it in reverse and started to back out. Luckily the hornets did not follow too far. The good thing is I have been dreading winter and working in the cold but now it sounds pretty good to me. :D :snowball:
Mike

coxy

got in a nest of them last week and made a trip to the er  if I get stung more than 3 times I brake out in water blisters the doc says not to worry but I don't take any chances went back with bee repellent and got them

snowstorm

another reason i luv ctl

grassfed

coxy, it is the second time for me this year but luckily I just break out in cus words. snowstorm, I was thinking that it would be nice to be in a glassed in cab listening to music and enjoying air conditioning but then I would have to join a gym ;D
Mike

ga jones

Ground nest yellow jackets 2-3 nests on a Small tract. Find at least one in every tract. Been into them about 5 times this summer.they must be following me this year.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

CCC4

Op,

I got stung on the forearm about a month ago by a paper hornet...normally I swell up really bad and use an Epi pen. This time however i was without an Epi pen so I packed the sting in mud. About m an hour later when the mud was dry, there was a wet spot at the sting site. About 3 hours later a syrum looking blood was ribbon.g down my forearm. Needless to say, the sting site barely even swelled and was pretty much gone by that evening.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: ga jones on September 01, 2015, 02:07:15 PM
Ground nest yellow jackets 2-3 nests on a Small tract. Find at least one in every tract. Been into them about 5 times this summer.they must be following me this year.
i hate them things. i have to back soon to where they were so bad last year......yay

Autocar

I have gotten into yellowjackets a number of times this summer. I always wonder about hornets when I am cutting timber and wading into the top to log it off. But over the years I learned to wait a few seconds to see whats going on once it hits the ground.
Bill

Ed_K

I'm finding that yellow jackets like black oak juice, if I don't get a chocker on as soon as it hits the ground,I can't get close later. Setting on the skidder having lunch and counted 3 ground nest within 25'. I hate bees.
Ed K

sprucebunny

Grabbed a grapple full of very old wood last week and big yellow jacket nest under it. Gave up on that amusement.

Hornet nest I didn't notice until I'd stepped on the other end of the peice of plywood. These guys don't seem too worried about winter snows...

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

HiTech

Quote from: sprucebunny on September 01, 2015, 07:08:02 PM
Grabbed a grapple full of very old wood last week and big yellow jacket nest under it. Gave up on that amusement.

Hornet nest I didn't notice until I'd stepped on the other end of the peice of plywood. These guys don't seem too worried about winter snows...

Looks like some kind of wasp nest.

Maine logger88

I hate hornets! Last year around here there were more yellow jackets than I've ever seen or at least on the 2 lots I cut last year luckily I only got stung once and that was 100 percent my fault lol. This year I haven't seen many
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

beenthere

Quote from: HiTech on September 01, 2015, 11:03:23 PM
Looks like some kind of wasp nest.
[/quote]

Looks like the bald-faced hornet nest. Apparently very docile UNTIL their nest is disturbed,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald-faced_hornet
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Had my 3 brothers here cutting firewood for themselves many years ago. I bet we knew where there was 20 ground hornets nests. We was all getting stung. Worse part was limbing the tree out and had no idea what was going on,until it was too late. We would hook onto the tree and pull it off the nest.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Yellowjackets are bad this time of year. They smell fish every time I clean catfish at my skinning rack. I generally knock them down with fine spray of water and stomp on them. Worst part is when they get in my outdoor sink drain when I am draining cleaned fish. I pick up the fish and get stung on the fingers if not real careful.

Many years ago when first moved here was bushhogging multiflora roses with my Gravely tractor with bushhog on front. Ran into a rose bush and yellowjackets came out of hole in the ground and one stung me. I backed away quickly and bumped a small walnut tree only to find a hornet nest hanging on the low limb and three got me before I cleared the area. Just one of those days.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

Ive found that my Kubota will not out run yellow jackets.

I don't like getting stung but I have to admit once the stinging goes away my joints seem to feel much better.

My friend runs a skid steer with a monster bush hog in front. He hits them all the time but just sits in the a/c cab and laughs. Last July he hit a nest but didn't realize that his window was open a inch. It reminded me of a WW2 dog fight with him spinning, jerking, back and forth etc trying to get them off him and away.
I have to say it was DanG fun to watch..from a distance :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jeff

Hornets are an interesting creature. This reminded me of this topic. Making Paper  The tree in the linked thread eventually died, and I have the truck hanging in our little cabin out back.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Raider Bill on September 02, 2015, 09:15:37 AM
Ive found that my Kubota will not out run yellow jackets.

I don't like getting stung but I have to admit once the stinging goes away my joints seem to feel much better.

My friend runs a skid steer with a monster bush hog in front. He hits them all the time but just sits in the a/c cab and laughs. Last July he hit a nest but didn't realize that his window was open a inch. It reminded me of a WW2 dog fight with him spinning, jerking, back and forth etc trying to get them off him and away.
I have to say it was DanG fun to watch..from a distance :D
i used to wear a metal reinforced knee brace. got into a yellow jackets nest about 10 years ago, they attacked my knee thru that round hole your patella goes in, i havn't needed it since. it was so bad i had to leave the saw and rip the brace and leave it to. had 16 stings on the knee, it don't bother me any more.

i am not however going to stick my shoulder down close to a nest lol.

treeslayer2003

oh and for the record, honey bees and tree hornets have never attacked me like yellow jackets........them and paper wasps are just plain evil.

Jeff

This badboy is hanging about 30 feet or so up in a tree between the neighbor and I. I can't figure out what it hangs from, as it swings in the wind like it is at the end of a rope. It's quickly approaching the size of a basketball if not there already. The hornets on it are HUGE.  We must be below their line of flight, as we haven't seen any of them around on the ground level, just crawling up there on that big nest.

http://youtu.be/p9rTmLz6-fU
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

lopet

I have left idle saws behind and probably run faster than Raider Bill's  Bota . :D  Didn't get stung the one time and twice the other time.
Went back at dusk reclaimed my saw and finished the cut.  :)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

treeslayer2003

we just had to start this..........got it right on the neck 8 am this morning. paper wasp, no clue where it came from. was setting wedges in a back cut.

CCC4

I just got my hands lit up by yellow jackets...knew I shouldn't have replied to this thread!! Lol! I got lucky...there was a huge swarm, only got 5 hits on both hands...took off running and forgot to shut my saw off...they chased me to the truck...must have been too nasty to sting me on the body! Lmao!

treeslayer2003

bro i got chased to truck 300yds last year and they were still on me.....my boy was there swatting them off me. he quit........i gota go back there, they gonna get me good this year. you busy? come keep um off me lol.

Ed_K

Use the permethrin, they got on my sleeve and then left me alone. I do feel lucky tho  :o .
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!