iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ponsse/valmet/tj/deere

Started by beulahland, August 31, 2015, 09:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beulahland

Hello everyone!  Its been awhile since I posted last.  Im still thinning pine plantations,   small tracts and residential cuts with a chainsaw and forwarding trailer.  I'm posting because I'm looking at high hour wheeled harvesters from the guys listed in the subject I'm sold on CTL system for a bunch of reasons.  The only reason I'm afraid of bringing one of those machines from up north to NC is 2 things there is not a CTL operation within 200 miles of me and with high hour machines I know there will be lots of down time. 1 no mechanics here have ever worked on them.  2 how hard will it be to get parts? I was wondering if there was any mechanics on here that have worked on several or all of these machines and which creates the least headaches? I like ponsse but I have zero support here.  However we do have kamotsu and Deere dealers (im a deere guy)here. I realize there are no easy answers just looking for advice from guys who have run and fixed them.  Thanks in advance. I enjoy this site so much can't tell you how much this site has helped me getting started. thanks again!
John Deere 5205, Nokka 3970 forwarding trailer, stihl 261m

Ecc 2-24. There is nothing better for a man then he should eat and drink & find enjoyment in his toil.

snowstorm

there is a learning curve and it can be steep. a little imfo about the wood you cut and the price would help. when i first went ctl i found a 546 valmet with a 150 keto head at a price i couldnt pass up. it was a pretty simple machine later on i bought a rottne then put a 500 keto on it. that works very well.but even that dosent like hot weather. i would assume your summer temps are much higher than here. parts are only as far away as ups. you have to be able to fix it yourself. i dont have much trouble with the head or computer. if you go ctl you have to be committed to it. it might seem slow at first till you get used to it. the speed will come later your chainsaws will stay in the truck and you will be inside a cab away from the rain snow or bugs 

snowstorm

what do you call a high hr machine? high hrs to ctl gear is 30,000 or more

beulahland

Yeah, there are lots of little concerns I have the learning curve is one. As far as hours and age of the equipment I'm looking at late 90's 2000 model machines 15 to 25000 hours.  I feel I can work on most of the older stuff. Growing up on a mid sized farm we never hired a mechanic for anything and there was plenty to work on!
   The hydraulics getting hot in the summer are another concern.  our lows in the summer are 85 and high into the 90's by lunch with 85% humidity but i m pretty sure that machine will handle that heat better than I do on the ground all day.  That's one of the reasons I want to get off the ground I overheated way to many times this summer.
   The wood I'm cutting Is ideal for CTL. I still have a problem understanding why its not more popular here. 80% of wood here is pine plantation or natural pine stands.  1st thinning dbh is +/- 10"  at 15yrs to clear cuts at 30 yrs and 20" dbh.  Average delivered price for pulp is 32/ton saw timber sells for 46/ton. There are very few hardwoods on the coast where I am.
   My biggest concern is downtime I plan on being down two or three days every couple of weeks but two weeks every month would kill me

Ecc 2-24. There is nothing better for a man then he should eat and drink & find enjoyment in his toil.

1270d

Problem with some of the 15+ year old equipment is finding electronic parts.   Also the wiring is starting to break down and can cause no end of grief.   If you are familiar with electrical schematics and multimeter its not bad, as almost all wires and connecting points are numbered or labeled.   

I heard of a guy in my area with an older Deere harvester who ended up having to buy a used display model lokomo computer system on eBay after the dealer said it was unavailable. 

The last year of running our 1270, I logged 120 hours of down time.  This doesn't count changing bad hoses or greasing etc.   Only machine failure down time.  It had about 13k hours.   

A machine that lived in pine plantations all of its life is going to have quite a bit less head fatigue than a machine like ours which was in hardwood most of the time.

lumbertick

1270 was that the original head on the machine? Was it machine breaking down or the head? Knock on wood my 1270 has 17,000 hours but head only has 4800 I have had good luck with ours so far. Don't get me wrong it breaks down but they all do.

It breaks down to having a small payment and some break downs or you can have a huge payment and a little break downs...

beulahland

Computers and harnesses are the type of thing I'm worried about.  Odd hyd pumps motors and valves that are discontinued...
        With that being said I am a one man operation and I plan on keeping my tractor/forwarding trailer busy with the harvester which shouldn't take long. Maybe 10 to 20 hrs a week at most. In a perfect world the harvester would last forever we all know plans and logging are like oil and water.  There's no telling what will break do to operator error as well ;D thanks again!

1270d

Yes it was the original head.   All the feed motors and the saw motor went in that last year.   Head frame was pretty tired.   Valves were starting to get funky in the head.  The base machine was pretty solid.  It was starting to get some wiring quirks and some emissions related things on the engine were giving out.   Had a newish pump in it.  Cylinder packings,....all that small stuff sure adds up in a hurry.

If you are cutting plantation pine production would be high seems like.

chevytaHOE5674

Running a 2001 Ponsse Ergo harvester with over 21k machine hours on it now (most of that in hardwood), the head was rebuilt at around 14k hours and could use it again. It has its share of downtime (in the shop right now with a bad ring and pinion in the boggy end of the machine, roasted a turbo last winter, etc). It also has a few computer and electrical quirks and gremlins, and parts for the computer are NLA new only what used parts the Ponsse guys can round up. Having said that the Ponsse parts and service guys are great at talking you through problems and getting you the parts you need in a hurry. I run the machine hard 10+ hours a day in hardwood and am actually surprised at how much up-time I get out of it.

As far as running in the heat, I've had no problems running the machine in 95°+ temps all day long.

snowstorm

there was a story in timberharvesting mag many yrs ago about ctl in the south.how it was going to the next big thing. 20 yrs later another story about it saying the price of wood was to low to support it. as far as getting parts. dose any dealer stock parts anymore? anything can be had next day air.

beulahland

That's good to hear the heat didn't affect you too bad! Parts seem like they can be ordered pretty easy if they are not discontinued.  I guess the dealers I mentioned in the op will not be that much help... I'll be talking to the dealers up north anyway.  I read where ponsse has great service.  Sounds like they will do what it takes to keep you going.
     Prices being to low are a problem for new ctl equipment here. Everything revolves around 16 man crews putting out 30 to 50 trucks a day.  Those guys are doing extremely well but they can't even stop to look at tracts less than 50 acres so there is a need small loggers. The mid sized loggers that do exist have a hard time competing with the big guys.  My plan has always been to stay as small as possible. Right now I am producing 100 ton a week on 40 gal of diesel.  With all that said I agree the cost of new CTL equipment and the loss in production would not work compared to the huge tree length operations here.  But a micro logger with old payed for equipment has all the work he wants.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: snowstorm on September 01, 2015, 06:12:46 AM
dose any dealer stock parts anymore? anything can be had next day air.

Ponsse UP here has just about enough parts to build entire machines in stock. We are usually lucky and when something breaks and we are in need of parts its in the pickup we go down to Ponsse and get whatever we need and be back to the woods and running within a couple of hours.

snowstorm

it might help if we knew up your price range is.

Ken

When I started 4+ years ago with ctl I would have been in a heap of trouble without the support of some other contracting friends with similar equipment and the local dealers who have some employees with an extensive background in that type of harvesting. 

When the harvester goes down everything else grinds to a halt pretty fast.  It also gets very expensive having employees hovering around a machine trying to figure out the problem.  That being said if I had to go back to running a saw and pulling cable I would be looking for another profession.  Good luck in your decision.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Corley5

Quote from: Ken on September 01, 2015, 05:32:49 PM
if I had to go back to running a saw and pulling cable I would be looking for another profession.  Good luck in your decision.

X2
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beulahland

The closest thing I have to local support is this site I'm sure local friends  helped with break downs and that steep learning curve snowstorm spoke of.

Snow I'm looking at machines in the 45 to 60000 dollar range.  That's what I'd like to spend, but are those machines to used up to even pay for themselves.

beulahland

Tahoe
  I've read a lot of good things about ponsse but kinda dismissed them because I have no local support but I may reconsider if thay are that good at keeping parts in and don't mind spending time on the phone to get you going.

Thanks again for all the advice everyone

bushmechanic

There is a very steep learning curve on harvesters some will make it and some won't. Being a farm boy is going to be a big help to you. A multimeter is your best friend when working on a harvester, keep one in the machine at all times. Tie wraps and electrical tape are a must also. Around here we call those machines "starvesters" because for the most part you will be starving by the time you get it to work and pay for the parts you have to put on it. :D

chevytaHOE5674

Here I've been singing the praises of how great the parts department at Ponsse is and now the ring and pinion that I need is going to be at least a 2 week wait.

Story of my life but the boggy axle in my machine was only used for part of one year because it was a transition year. They have gears in stock for the older and newer machines but not mine.

Machine has been down for a week already, two week wait for parts, then probably another week getting it all back together....

1270d

Must be taking the slow boat over.  That's a long while down.   Have you checked any salvage yards or if it's an axle used by other machines?    Our caribou had the same axles as a rottne for example.

chevytaHOE5674

I'm going to be making some calls in the morning to see what can be done to speed up the process. Called every salvage yard in the area and nobody has the correct axle, and the cost of an entire boggy axle is very pricey plus the cost of retrofitting my frame and such. The axle itself was used in many other applications but that particular gear ratio is a Ponsse only thing...

barbender

Quote from: beulahland on September 01, 2015, 08:39:21 PM

Snow I'm looking at machines in the 45 to 60000 dollar range.  That's what I'd like to spend, but are those machines to used up to even pay for themselves.

Yes, they are too used up. Even an experienced CTL operator would have a very hard time making a go of it with an old machine like that. The other problem I see with your plan is that one of these processors will bury your forwarding setup. A forum member that I haven't seen on here for awhile, I think bobusa is his username, had a mini-excavator with a stroke processor head that he used to thin pine in the black hills of South Dakota. I think something like that would match your current equipment much better. I've even thought one of those units would work well in our area on some of these little 10 acre pine plantations we have in residential areas. They are very slow compared to a real CTL machine, but way cheaper and probably way lower maintenance. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a better job of limbing small pine as well.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

snowstorm

if you can work on it yourself you can make a go of it with older gear. if you are going to have a service truck out there for every little thing then you almost have to run new. and yes you will need a forwarder.

barbender

I would still contend that a green operator that has no experience around these machines and no one with experience to help him really doesn't have much of a chance of making it with a high hour harvester, especially in the price range beulahland is suggesting. Maybe he could get something decent in a small tracked carrier for that money, but most any euro rubber tire harvester in that price range will be nothing but headaches, IMHO.

Thank You Sponsors!