iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How tough to load tractor tires?

Started by shinnlinger, August 30, 2015, 08:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi, 
Local place wants 100 bucks a tire, but I was able to recover most of the fluid and have to do two tires so any advice?   YouTube makes it look easy enough?

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Banjo picker

I got a little do hickey from the dealer to put the antifreeze in the tire....takes quite a bit of antifreeze.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

jcbrotz

Its easy all you need is the filler I got mine from gemplers it hose to a regular garden hose, a pump and antifreeze or beet juice. OHHH and lots of muscle afterward to lift the tire. I did mine mounted in place with the valve stem up. I have been told of people breaking one bead down and just pouring the antifreeze in and re-seating the tire also but never tried it.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

thecfarm

I myself would have a tube in it. I would not trust just the bead of the tire working it in the woods. Too many places in the woods,be it stumps or rocks,for the tire to flex. I did not have tubes in the front tires when I first bought my tractor. Soon as they went flat,I put the tubes to them.
I even had the tires loaded on the wife's tractor. And that really just gets used to mow the lawn and a snowblower on the back in the winter time.
When I have tire problems,I hire a place that comes right to the house. They keep the rim on the tractor. Some guy took his off and brought them to another place, Charged him $20 less per tire.  ::)  He thought that was a bargain. So much easier not to bother with a tire. Be it loaded or not.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

Tractor supply sells a dohicky that makes it easy.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

tmarch

If what you have is salt water or calcium chloride I would not reuse it.  "Beet juice" is much better and won't rust your rims.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Chuck White

I don't know about other models, but Kubota has been using molasses for a few years now!

Seems to be working ok for them, and not corrosive!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ox

After filling tires the old, hard way (gravity, tire on, valve core out, tire flat on ground, then jacking up to create suction, then doing it all over again) I would recommend the tire filling valve and all you need is gravity.  Sure, it's slower but gravity is free.  Keep the tire on, take weight off that tire and use tubes.  Change valve stems every few years because this is the leading cause of rim rot.  Any spilled fluid be sure to thoroughly wash off with water.  I used calcium chlorite in my tires last year.  Keep them from leaking and they'll last for decades.  Are there better, less corrosive fluids to use?  Sure!  But I figured the old ways are good enough for me.  Bottom line is no leaks, no corrosion.  Takes some time but loaded tires are like having a new machine to work with.  And in this world you either have time or money and if you don't have one you better have the other!  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Dixon700

Any of you guys think of getting them foam filled? No worry of air leaks then. I'm Thinking I'd  Like To Do THIS To ALL 4 Of My Backhoe Tires when I BUY NEW Front tires.
Ms 460 mag 25" b/c muffler modded 010av  14" b/c
94 case 580sk 04.5 ram 2500

beenthere

Quote from: Chuck White on September 01, 2015, 10:21:35 AM
I don't know about other models, but Kubota has been using molasses for a few years now!

Seems to be working ok for them, and not corrosive!

RimGuardR – a liquid ballast made from de-sugared molasses

I'd heard RimGuard was from sugar beet juice, so fits with the molasses. Not sure what kind of mess one ends up with when a tire needs repair. Might be a question to ask at a tire repair shop.  ;)

I load mine with windshield washer fluid. Often sells around a buck a gallon, but usually around $1.50 now.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ox

Foam filled would be nice, for sure, but I wouldn't want it for road travel or high speed mowing because the flex in the tires would be gone.  Good for skidsteers and woods tractors but that's about it I reckon.

Not much worse than a big tire with no flex, like loading a tire too full and not having enough air pocket for the cushion.  It's like riding on a lumber wagon.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Banjo picker

Here is the device to load your own tires.  And as to Kubota filling them....they didn't load mine
I had to do it

I would bet there would be a heafty add on charge for them to do it.   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

thecfarm

Got the tires filed by the dealer when it's still at thier place. I had all my done at no additinal charge.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

Quote from: Banjo picker on September 01, 2015, 11:36:18 AM
Here is the device to load your own tires.  And as to Kubota filling them....they didn't load mine
I had to do it

I would bet there would be a heafty add on charge for them to do it.   Banjo

That's the gizmo I have.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

shinnlinger

Thanks for the input, I think I'm going to give it a shot. 

As I said before, I was able to recover most of the fluid as the chart says I want 30 gallons (12.4-24) and I was able to save 24 gallons, so I don't really have to buy any fluid (and I probably won't, but if I own the dohicky, I can always top off later)

I will have to do the other tire soon so any investment in the dohicky and pump (If I don't just go with gravity) will pay for itself again in the near future.  I have a good relationship with a place nearby that can mount the tire but can't fill it and the other place nearby can fill it too but I just don't have a good feeling about them as they have always treated me as second class because I'm not in there to buy a new tractor every time I walk in the door.  In fact, it was a real chore for them to work up a quote for me and they act like I'm bothering them, so its more than just the money and convenience, but I am saving $200 over the two tires too so the money is indeed a factor.
Shinnlinger

Ox

I understand what you're saying here.  Some places are like walking into a yacht club with your bibs and work boots on.  That sort of thing chaps my seat meat. >:(

sawguy21

I hated that job. I pumped the fluid out into a drum so the tire could be repaired. The reversing switch didn't work so I unhooked the hoses and  reversed the pump to refill with the tire on the machine. That calcium chloride was murder on coveralls and any burns or open cuts immediately got my attention.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ox

Heh.  That stuff will eat anything, including concrete.  Amazing stuff.  Good thing criminals don't know much about it or they could cause all sorts of trouble with it.

shinnlinger

If I could post a vid I would.   I picked up one of those $10 filler deals and hooked it up to a hose run to an old water tank elevated on the hood of my farm jeep.  I poured the fluid in the tank, sealed it up and pressurized it so the fluid filled the tire.   It went pretty fast and I am pleased. 
Shinnlinger

Ox

Thank You Sponsors!