iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Addition, and Injury

Started by Andy White, August 30, 2015, 07:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

A few weeks ago, I decided we need a carport for Nancy's new car. Ordered it before the pig roast, and yesterday
was installation. Four men showed up, and started about 6.00PM. As they worked, I realized I needed to take the security lite down from the gable of the shop. Cut off breaker, went up ladder to see what tools I needed to remove it. Got tools and back up, and had the wrong socket! As I went up the ladder the third time, I got to the top, looked at the lite, and fell all the way to the concrete below!! Don't know how, but I know this fat boy ain't going up any more ladders. Right knee, left shoulder, right wrist broke most of the fall, till my face took the brunt. I had help getting up, and applied ice packs after a self diagnosis. Nothing broke, but really bruised and sore. Did not get pictures of installation, went to bed!! Nancy went this morning and took these shots for me, and one while I was sleeping. NOT A Pretty Sight! Still sore, and will be for a while!!! You all be very careful out there,
because old fat boys don't bounce very far!! :( :( :o :o no_no no_no smiley_thumbsdown

Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

red

This happens almost as much as getting hurt in the bathtub. .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Dad burn Andy! You're lucky you didn't kill yourself.
Hope you recover fast.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

goose63

Us old skinny boys don't bounce at all :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Bruno of NH

Andy sorry to hear of this hope you heal up well .
Ladders can get you and it doesn't need to be that high .
Jim /Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Hilltop366

Quote from: Bruno of NH on August 30, 2015, 07:39:57 PM
Andy sorry to hear of this hope you heal up well .
Ladders can get you and it doesn't need to be that high .
Jim /Bruno

True, 4 or 5 years ago a guy in the county died after falling off a stepladder, if I recall it was only a 5 or 6 foot one, he hit his head on the pave.

Take care Andy.

samandothers

Ouch!  Nice looking carport.  I think you will enjoy it!

WDH

Andy,

You look like a herd of buffalo ran over you.  That might even have been better.  Behave yourself and recuperate.

It won't be long until you will have some stickered lumber air drying under that carport  ;D.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Andy,

I think you and 4X4 need to load up on his 4 wheeler and ride over to help the Magicman finish is ball hitch project.

Get well soon and be careful out there. Glad it was nothing broken except a little pride and that will recover. Don't worry about remembering - your wife will no doubt do that for you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

DanG Andy, you could really hurt yourself doing that.   ::)

Seriously, Pat and I wish for you a speedy recovery.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I did not look at that long.  :o  You take care. But my next question,what happened up there? No one just falls off a ladder. Better be careful. Have a check up maybe?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fat olde elf

DanG !! Similar deal a few months ago.  Framing nailer jammed and fell off ladder with nailer in my hand.  My head hit the nailer on the ground. Can't show the photo but very similar to yours....Over 6K at the ER....best thing was that the MRI showed no Alzheimers tangles (yet) 2nd best thing was that my copay was $40.00. All my rowdy friends say " stay off ladders at your age" Really ! Hope your recovery is a fast as mine was. You and I are so handsome that we don't want to mess up our good looks. Keep the faith.......
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

sawguy21

Geez Andy, what does the other guy look like?  :D Sure glad you didn't do any serious damage, go easy and allow yourself a chance to heal.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Nomad

Dang Andy, that's quite a mouse you got there.  Take it easy and heal up.  That part don't happen as quick as it used to, either.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

tree-farmer

Dang buddy, you got to learn not to lead with your head. (says the bald guy who's head resembles a baseball from past miscalculations)  ;D
Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

sandhills

Hope you get healed up soon Andy.  If it's any conselation young kids don't bounce either, my nephew had his ladder go out from underneath him last weekend, only a 6' ladder but he landed on a receiver hitch below, 4 hours in the ER and all was good, but he still hurts too.

NH-Murph

Looks pretty sore.  Speedy recovery man!  I've recently had my 19th orthopedic surgery, so I'm a card carrying member of the bad luck club.  Murphy's law is a real bear when you're a Murphy!  There's nothing quite like that "OH $#!%" moment when you realize you're in freefall and the ground is rapidly approaching.  Lots of thoughts happen in a brief second!  Glad to hear nothing broke.   

easymoney

around here those metal carports are popular. a neighbor had one put up a few years ago. it was unbelievable how fast a truck load of mexicans can put one up. they plug in a drill with a screw driving bit in it and never let off the trigger till they are through.

Delawhere Jack

Good to hear you didn't have any serious injuries, but that is one serious shiner you got there. You'll be good as new in a couple weeks. 

wwsjr

Get well buddy. Need you to come visit.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

21incher

Hope you have a quick recovery. With a hit like that you may want a second opinion of  your condition.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Bill Gaiche

Man O Man Andy, thats not purdy at all. Glad nothing is broke. Take care my friend, I am sure somebody needs your talent someplace. bg

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Andy White

David,
Hurtin right now, and typing with one finger and looking outa one eye, but that is FUNNY!!!!  I feel better already.   Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Thank You Sponsors!