iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thickness for 4/4 lumber?

Started by WoodChucker, September 23, 2004, 11:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodChucker

Just curious how thick most of you mill your 4/4 lumber?  Is there a standard size or just what the sawer/customer wants? I've been milling mine for my own use at 1" but find thats not enough for some boards that have a little to much twist in them and still be able to plan them down to 3/4". So I'm thinking I might start milling them to 1.25", is that to much waste in the long run? Should I just mill the twisted boards to say, 1/2" and save them for other projects? Thanks!

R.T.  
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

beenthere

I use twisted boards sparingly, and usually make smaller cuttings out of them if anything, as they will continue to 'twist' when the moisture content changes. If me, I would not oversize all the boards just to cover the twisted ones. But you can decide.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

I mill most of mine to an 1 1/8th WC. If it's just for my own use and it's pretty stable wood like walnut I'll mill to an even 1" if I'm not cutting wide boards.

Tom

I aim to give my customer a board off of the mill that is 4/4 in thickness.  To do that I saw "fat" by 1/8th of an inch.

I've found that some woods tend to dry straighter if sawed a little thick and will saw Black Cherry, Sycamore, Gum and some Oaks 5/4 unless told not.

Just remember that you can't charge a customer for a specific thickness untill the board actually meets or exceeds that thickness.

Being almost 5/4 is still 4/4.  :D

Brian_Bailey

I like my 4/4 a little on the heavy side, 1 1/8" works good for me.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Jeff

All of our buyers REQUIRE 1 1/8. they dont want less or more.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WoodChucker

Thanks everyone, I'll give 1 1/8" a shot and see how that works out. I think part of my problem is I'm having a run of bad luck with red oak logs. The ones that look the best before milling are really looking bad once there open up. And then the ones with the big olĂ© knots, lumps and just butt ugly logs are turning out to be the best lumber. I know I have a lot to learn, just hope I learn it before I end up with a 132 acre parking lot.  ;D

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

oakiemac

As Jeff mentioned, if you plan on selling lumber on the market it must be 1 1/8". I found this out the hard way. I cut 3Mbdft for a broker and milled it at exactly 4/4. well he came back and told me he was going to have to sell it at 3/4 lumber! Also too thick is equally a problem.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Brian_Bailey

Okiemac,  

If your lumber can be S2S to 13/16" it should be graded as 4/4 not 3/4 according to NHLA's rules.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Thank You Sponsors!