iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bearings dropping like flies

Started by deepsouth.us, August 30, 2015, 10:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepsouth.us

Guys, I'm fairly new to the milling arena, and could use some advice. I bought a used timberking 1220 over a year ago. Used it a bit while building the house, and have just recently begun milling some other stuff. Haven't had much trouble till now. I'm going through guide bearings quick, and in a hurry. I mean one fails on me every couple hundred board ft. Any insight, guys? I'm waiting on my owners manual from timberking as I've never looked at one. Any tips on what to look for in the meantime?
Timberking 2000

ladylake

The best thing you could do is put some flanged roller guides from Cooks on your mill, not cheap but will last good.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

beenthere

Have you been in contact with TK ?  I assume that is where you are getting replacement bearings, but don't know for sure.
They should be valuable resource as well as here on the Forum.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

deepsouth.us

Quote from: ladylake on August 30, 2015, 11:37:21 AM
The best thing you could do is put some flanged roller guides from Cooks on your mill, not cheap but will last good.  Steve
I'll look into these. Thank you.

Quote from: beenthere on August 30, 2015, 12:09:10 PM
Have you been in contact with TK ?  I assume that is where you are getting replacement bearings, but don't know for sure.
They should be valuable resource as well as here on the Forum.
I've not been in touch with timberking yet. I had already contacted them for a manual when I realized my bearing issue wasn't just routine stuff. Figured I'd give the manual a look over before contacting them. Also, my replacement bearings are coming from a local supply house. The first time I had to replace one I made sure to pull an existing bearing so as to get a proper match.
Timberking 2000

justallan1

Is the parts house selling you sealed bearings? If not, I'd ask specifically for some.
I have flanged roller guides on my mill and not long after getting it was having heat issues with them. I realized I had set it up wrong and had the flange of the guides riding against the blade constantly. I moved the roller guides back an eigth of an inch and cured the problem.
If this is what's happening on your mill, I'd pull the guides back a bit and turn your bandwheels by hand several turns to make sure your tracking is right, then re-set your guides leaving the flange back a bit from the band.
Hope this helps.

ladylake

The trouble with that 3 bearing setup is that the bearing are so small and are spinning at a zillion rpm and will not last. I like the 3" flanged guides on my TK which spin way slower.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

deepsouth.us

Quote from: justallan1 on August 30, 2015, 03:21:54 PM
Is the parts house selling you sealed bearings? If not, I'd ask specifically for some.
I have flanged roller guides on my mill and not long after getting it was having heat issues with them. I realized I had set it up wrong and had the flange of the guides riding against the blade constantly. I moved the roller guides back an eigth of an inch and cured the problem.
If this is what's happening on your mill, I'd pull the guides back a bit and turn your bandwheels by hand several turns to make sure your tracking is right, then re-set your guides leaving the flange back a bit from the band.
Hope this helps.
Yes, I'm getting sealed bearings from the local parts house. However, they aren't staying sealed for a long.

Quote from: ladylake on August 30, 2015, 03:46:21 PM

The trouble with that 3 bearing setup is that the bearing are so small and are spinning at a zillion rpm and will not last. I like the 3" flanged guides on my TK which spin way slower.  Steve

These? http://store.cookssaw.com/sawmill-parts/roller-guides/roller-guides-for-timberking-sawmills/1-1-4-roller-guide-en-2.html
Timberking 2000

dustyhat

I used to have the same problem with bearings , and then i went to cooks flanged rollers , i wont be back to just roller bearings . very good and precise , made a world of difference. 

Kbeitz

I have many years building different kinds of machines mostly for the textile world.
I can tell you there is a big difference between a ball bearing and a cam bearing.
What you need is a cam bearing or a ball bearing pressed into a cam follower.
Or a Cooks roller guide witch is a cam follower...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

redbeard

Tom the Sawyer posted awhile back on these retro fit greasable bearings and redesigned flange rollers and there the  best money I've spent on my TK mill. I have well over 1000 hrs on these and there still like new. Keeping them greased is the key to long life.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

deepsouth.us

Quote from: Kbeitz on August 30, 2015, 08:39:43 PM
I have many years building different kinds of machines mostly for the textile world.
I can tell you there is a big difference between a ball bearing and a cam bearing.
What you need is a cam bearing or a ball bearing pressed into a cam follower.
Or a Cooks roller guide witch is a cam follower...
Thanks for the tip.

Quote from: redbeard on August 30, 2015, 09:10:07 PM

Tom the Sawyer posted awhile back on these retro fit greasable bearings and redesigned flange rollers and there the  best money I've spent on my TK mill. I have well over 1000 hrs on these and there still like new. Keeping them greased is the key to long life.
Where do you get this animal?

These are the bearings I'm running. I'm not sure if I have enough adjustment for those 3" from cooks.

Timberking 2000

ladylake

Most likely you will have to refabricate to get flanged bearings on your mill but well worth it. Your set on that blade looks too low, could just be the camera angle.  Steve

Kbeitz

Just Google Cam folower bearing ...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

albirk

ladylake

A 2" cam follower is rated for 1400 RPM at McMaster Carr,  it would be spinning about 8500 RPM at 4500 ft per minute which most mills run.  A 3" guide wheel spins about 5700 RPM. A mill near me put those on a bigger band saw and they lasted 6 hours .  Steve

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sandsawmill14

Quote from: redbeard on August 30, 2015, 09:10:07 PM

redbeard  where might a fella find those guides with the grease fitting  im having some bearing trouble my self.  its not bad but i have to change the china bearings every 20-30000 bdft ($35)  the american bearings will run about 75- 100m bdft but $55 and have to special order so i keep 2 on hand. its sad that we live in america and it takes 2-3 days to get parts made here and stuff made in china is on the shelf everywhere >:( but when its time to change guides which will be fairly soon i might go with those grease type guides  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

bandmiller2

I may be mistaken but I think Cooks will supply greasable guides if you ask. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

xlogger

TK has them for the 2000 I'm guessing they might have them for your mill also.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Cutting Edge

The best thing you could do is put some flanged roller guides from Cooks on your mill, not cheap but will last good.

The trouble with that 3 bearing setup is that the bearing are so small and are spinning at a zillion rpm and will not last.

x2  At the rate you are going through the lil' bearings on your current setup, you'd have a Cooks roller guide system paid for in VERY short order.  Plus the savings of not having the aggravation, time and inconvenience of keeping supplied with lil' bearings. 

Your lumber, cut quality and blade life will undoubtedly improve as well.

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

SamB

When my 2008 1220 was still under warranty they sent me a kit to make the vertical bearings grease able. This was after my second request for replacements of failed bearings. Haven’t had a vertical bearing fail since, grease after everyday of use and oil horizontal bearings. I assumed the newer models had the upgrade. The water from your blade lube penetrates the bearing seals if you don’t compensate for that by lubing the bearings after each day of use they fail pretty quick. At least that’s been my experience.

deepsouth.us

Quote from: Cutting Edge on August 31, 2015, 11:21:39 AM
The best thing you could do is put some flanged roller guides from Cooks on your mill, not cheap but will last good.

The trouble with that 3 bearing setup is that the bearing are so small and are spinning at a zillion rpm and will not last.

x2  At the rate you are going through the lil' bearings on your current setup, you'd have a Cooks roller guide system paid for in VERY short order.  Plus the savings of not having the aggravation, time and inconvenience of keeping supplied with lil' bearings. 

Your lumber, cut quality and blade life will undoubtedly improve as well.
You said it. The bearing supply is an hour round trip from the farm. I buy them six at a time so as not to get hung out. 

I received my manual. Went through alignment steps, and adjusted the guides as the were off a bit. This I believe was some of my trouble as justallan1 had mentioned.  Also considering running a water line to drip on these bearings in an effort to keep the heat down a bit. I reckon I'll take y'all's advice and upgrade after I run through this batch.

Thanks for the help, guys.
Timberking 2000

Thank You Sponsors!