iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is Elm good for?

Started by DR_Buck, August 29, 2015, 08:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

I had a very large bug killed Elm tree taken down and saved some decent sized logs to mill.  What is elm good for and what recommended thickness should I mill?   I was think mostly 5/4  but really don't know for sure.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Ianab

Elm is a good furniture wood.

There are issues with getting it to stay flat as it's drying, but once dry it's fine. Cutting slightly oversize is probably a good plan, leaves a bit more meat to remove any cupping or twisting.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If any species ever makes you scratch your head as to what to do with it,
NEVER, rule out a Mantel. Oh what people will pay.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

4x4American

i sawed out some elm for my friend whos going to use it for flooring.  ill report back in 25 years to let you know how it holds up lol
Boy, back in my day..

justallan1

I've heard a lot of folks say they use elm for trailer decking.

4x4American

its also some of the best firewood, so save your slabs
Boy, back in my day..

WIwoodworker

I like Elm and cut it 5/4, 6/4 and 8/4. These pics are from a couple of logs I was able to saw a couple of months ago.

Peterson 9" WPF

Ox

The old timers around here used it for flooring for livestock.  Supposed to be fibrous and stringy and tough.  Apparently will outlast everything but locust.  Of course this needs to be taken with a grain of salt because those old timers sometimes like to exaggerate a touch.

I have zero experience with elm.  They're all gone around here now from dutch elm disease.  Years ago there was a massive, monster of an elm all by itself right by the main road to the next town up.  No other trees around for a long ways which is probably why it survived the disease.  The county cut it down for some reason, it hung out over the road a little.  Last one around as far as I know...all gone.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

bandmiller2

The guys pretty much covered it. Elm is noted for its toughness and resistance to impact as mentioned its good for trailer and truck floors. As a side note old pick up trucks used it for flooring. I'am not sure how good it is after being tainted with Dutch elm disease. When dry it burns like coal. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

When exposed to the elements it is not very rot resistant.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Elm is purty and tough as nails.
I get some dead logs for free once in a while.
My pal and I used elm for the flooring in box stalls when we had horses in our teens (a VERY long time ago)
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

Spiral grain.  Flatsawn boards warp in drying.  Quarter and rift saw it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

Grandpa said it was good for wagon wheel hubs.  You know...like covered wagons going west. 

Betcha you could sell a boatload for that. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

petefrom bearswamp

Not too good for firewood.
As the old poem says "Elmwood burns like churchyard mold, een the very flames seem cold
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

beenthere

Negative on how elm burns.
If dry, it burns hot and the coals remain to the point of turning into a clinker much like coal.

If not dry, then doesn't burn well. Just my experience over the past 50 years burning wood.

But I also don't seek out elm when I have plenty of oak and ash to burn. But a couple elm trees are in the firewood stack to burn two years from now.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ddcuning

I was in Nashville, TN last year and saw furniture built from quartersawn elm that was beautiful and the grain was very striking. Have never used it myself but after seeing that furniture, I would love to.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

woodmills1

Elm burns like a misty day, and is the worst to split.....ask me why  I know...
Makes nice boards
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

4x4American

I wonder if its different kinds of elm that burn differently?  American Elm is what I'm talking about
Boy, back in my day..

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Magicman

With our minimum firewood requirement and abundance of available Red Oak, I leave the Elm for termites.  They gotta eat too.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

Its red elm that burns well and leaves clinkers like coal.  In many areas its near extinct because it is such an excellent firewood.  When I was able to get it, I always waited for the coldest days to burn it.

Chinese elm is the junk firewood tree.  There are others that I don't know the names.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

MM do you have a woodstove down thar?
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Fireplace insert.

More than a year's supply of Red Oak firewood.   

Thank You Sponsors!