iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wabbit

Started by Delawhere Jack, August 29, 2015, 07:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Why didn't anyone ever tell me how good rabbit tastes!?!?!?

I visited my friend/gardening pardner/co-conspirator, aka The Chicken Lady yesterday and she gave me some rabbit she had cooked in a crock pot with shallots, garlic, white wine and some spices... WOW!!!

I could eat me a saddle bag full of them critters!  ;D

Magicman

See, there are many things that us "poor folks" eat that the unknowing laugh at.   :P 

Matter of fact, I just saw you making fun of boiled peanuts.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Yup, it's good eating. Cooked up like that it's hard to tell rabbit from chicken, except you get more drumsticks and less wings.  :D

As a kid I used to hunt rabbits with a .22 on our farm. They didn't go to waste. Usually cooked up in a casserole like you describe.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Taste like goat chicken.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Rabbit stew added a pounds and inches to me growing up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Yep, pretty good eating. I think the French call it lapin. Was on the menus in Cameroon in West Africa and I assume was French influence.

I had beagles and mixed breeds and we hunted and ate them a lot growing up. Once not long after I married I had my new bride visiting my great grandfather's old place in Dixie County Fla. I had brought my pistol as there were lots of gopher (tortoise) holes with rattlesnakes around. A suicidal rabbit jumped up (one that sat there long enough for me to finally hit him with a pistol at 20 yards). I cleaned him and my aunt cooked him. My wife was eating a piece and asked Aunt Sallie Mae what it was. She looked over and was dead earnest when she said "Looks like a wing to me". I reminded her what we were eating and she decided probably wasn't a wing.

A young raccoon or groundhog tastes very much like rabbit.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 29, 2015, 10:04:37 PMA young raccoon or groundhog tastes very much like rabbit.
I'll take your word for it.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

I have not tried rabbit, mom and dad ate so much during the great depression they wouldn't have it in the house. My wife is a city girl, sees them as pets, so I guess it won't get served here either.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Delawhere Jack

According to The Chicken Lady, she gets whole cleaned rabbit for $4.89/lb at a local farmers market that also carries a lot of international foods. At that price, I WILL be putting a whole saddle bag full in the freezer!

beenthere

When you see bunnies advertised for sale on CL, don't contact and be interested in their friendliness, their health and condition, and if they are eating well, but then in the end ask if they are good-eating rabbits...  phone goes "click" right away.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Rabbit is much better eating than Armadillo.   ;D

samandothers

Remember hunting them as a kid along with squirrel.  We shoot them and dad would dress them and mom would cook the rabbit and squirrel.  As I recall I enjoyed the rabbit more than the squirrel. 

WDH

I like it fried with biscuits and jelly.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

MM,

Only armadillo I ever ate was at a wildlife supper when I was at AU. It tasted like good lean roast pork to me. I am sure it was mostly on how it was prepared.

My dad said during the depression Grandpa was off working somewhere and they had a road gang crew cleaning the right of way and such in front of the house. I gather these were real desperate criminals or watched too closely. Anyway one of them saw a rabbit run into a brier patch so he went to the house and knocked on the door. Grandma came out and he told her about the rabbit and told her if she'd loan him a gun and a shell he'd go kill it for her. She did and he did and he returned the gun and cleaned the rabbit for her. Grandpa hit the ceiling when she told him but the guy was basically just down on his luck and not a real threat to society.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 31, 2015, 10:08:14 PMMM,  Only armadillo I ever ate was at a wildlife supper when I was at AU. It tasted like good lean roast pork to me. I am sure it was mostly on how it was prepared.
Back in the 70's my late Brother killed and cleaned one.  Our Mom, being the trooper that she was, cooked it.  I can not remember it to be anything other than meat.  That was my one and only experience.  She also cooked one coon.  Somebody did something wrong, because there never was another.

Now rabbits were a staple food source during the winter.  My Brother was the headlight man and shooter.  I carried a gunny sack and was the toter.  Six was about all that I could carry.  We usually also got a couple of possums that we carried to the tenant farmer.  The possums were never shot, but brought in alive.  They were always "fed out" for about a week before butchering and cooking.  I never ate possum.

WV Sawmiller

MM,

I had an old neighbor who wanted every coon I could bring him and I had a very good squirrel dog who did great on coons and possums at night (First she'd tree me a coon then she might go to treeing possums). Neighbor's wife always cooked the coon in a Brown-n-bag. After we married I killed one on Camp Lejeune NC USMC base one night. Was a big boar coon with split ears and scars and likely not best choice. Wife put it in a Brown-n-bag while we were at church and we returned ready to eat. Was so bad the dogs would not even eat the taters or gravy off it. I remember taking her out to Sunday dinner that day.

A real young one fried is fine. Very similar to squirrel and rabbit. Older ones we'd cook off the bone and make hash or BBQ.

Son killed one with a pump up BB gun and a stick and we made hash out of it, tanned the hide and wife made him a hat with face pulled down in front an tail hanging behind. He was real proud of it an quite an accomplishment for a 10 y/o. Years later he had one for a pet and when it would misbehave son would point to the hat and remind him to behave. Last one he had was in college and it was a real chick magnet. Walked on a leash with a harness and all the young co-eds wanted to come pet him and he was fine with that. Would fish in the minnow bucket and steal their bait till they'd throw him a small crappie which he would take to the bow of the boat and eat. He was never friendly when there was food around.

I caught lots of possums in my time and still do every year or so but like you, times were never so hard I had to eat one. I remember pulling too many out of old rancid cow or mule carcasses to ever want to eat one. The babies are cute and photogenic and the kids liked playing with them but they were always to dumb to even be good pets.

With rabbits at night I'd kill cottontails. Same place in daytime with my dogs and we'd kill the big marsh rabbits. I think they moved more in daytime and the dogs picked up their scent quicker than cottontails. Were few deer back then and you could get by hunting rabbits at night but later when deer population increased you'd end up in jail trying it.
Howard Green

red

Joel Salatin of www.polyfacefarms.com has some interesting ideas on Raising Rabbits 12 weeks until they are 4-5lbs.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Magicman

Rabbits were our "big game" animals when I was growing up.  There were no deer or turkeys, but we did have Bobwhite Quail which are now gone.   :-\

Thank You Sponsors!