iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red pine? Really don't know softwoods very well.

Started by Delawhere Jack, August 29, 2015, 02:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Milled just a few small pine logs along with some poplar and ash this morning. I've never seen that much color in white pine. Could it be red pine?

Thanks,

JC

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Delawhere Jack

curdog

I wouldn't know a red pine if it fell out of the sky, but that's not white pine.  It looks more spruce or fir like.  Hopefully someone a little further north can id it.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sprucebunny

I think it's a fir because of 'flat' needle attitude, maybe Douglas fir from the little points on the cones.
Off to look it up  :)

Here's an interesting link about Douglas fir being neither spruce or fir.
http://www.nwf.org/Wildlife/Wildlife-Library/Plants/Douglas-Fir.aspx

This page has a picture of the cones but no info on other species with similar cones or size.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudotsuga_menziesii_var._glauca
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

4x4American

The grain looks like spruce but the needles tell me fir.  That darker wood im sure is just the heartwood (pith).  I mainly saw white pine.  Would love to see a better bark picture, maybe from a slab?

SB, pretty sure Doug fir dont grow out here on the east!
Boy, back in my day..

sprucebunny

Yes, I know it doesn't generally grow in the east but I can't be the only person that brought one home... or am I  ???  :D
Mine lived about 6 years.

( I have 2 SYP for house plants  :) )

4x4American

Lol  ive always wanted to plant some redwoods out here
Boy, back in my day..

Clark

Definitely doug fir. The tufted...things...coming out of the cone are a sure sign of doug fir.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

4x4American

Quote from: Clark on August 29, 2015, 08:06:53 PM
Definitely doug fir. The tufted...things...coming out of the cone are a sure sign of doug fir.

Clark

well dip me in dog dung!
Boy, back in my day..

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Delawhere Jack

Thanks all. Did a little searching on the web myself, and it confirms DF.

Ox

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on August 30, 2015, 09:00:38 AM
definitely not Red pine

x2.  When someone asks me what something is and I don't know the answer I'll usually say, "Well, I know it's not (insert wood species you know)".  Sometimes gets funny looks but that's fun too.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pine

Saw the needles and the cones in post #1 and said to myself, DF, but then looked at location of OP and said I have to be wrong. Can't be in that area.  Interesting.  How old was the tree the log came out of?  Any idea the history behind it?

As an aside:
Douglas-fir trees, which are also called red firs, Oregon pines, and Douglas spruce, are neither true fir trees nor pines nor spruces per the literature from the forestry botanists.  They true experts are rather specific in that they are Douglas-fir not Douglas fir trees and they demand the use of the hyphen because they are not true firs.  (don't ask ;D)

Delawhere Jack

Hey Danny, Pine. The client says that his mother in law planted the tree as a sapling. Definitely not a local species.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

4x4American

If it truly was highly valuable it would have highly valuable metal in it.   lol

Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

But then again we here in the ANE (Atlantic North East) can go to the local Lowe's and get DF dimension lumber kd, planed and grade stamped for wicked cheap!
Boy, back in my day..

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

sprucebunny

Quote from: 4x4American on August 29, 2015, 05:55:12 PM

I've got them, too :)

Out of a dozen, only 3-4 are still alive. They don't seem to think much of 30 F below zero weather.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Clark on August 29, 2015, 08:06:53 PM

Clark

Fur sure.

Those little rat butts sticking out of the cone scales are the giveaway.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

4x4American

Quote from: sprucebunny on August 31, 2015, 11:59:52 AM
Quote from: 4x4American on August 29, 2015, 05:55:12 PM

I've got them, too :)

Out of a dozen, only 3-4 are still alive. They don't seem to think much of 30 F below zero weather.

Wonder if you could put a little clear dome ovrer them to keep warm with solar heat?  Or maybe its not worth the effort
Boy, back in my day..

petefrom bearswamp

Had a couple DF at the Ranger School in Wanakena NY when I was there in 58
I think all are gone now
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!