iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A gift

Started by Magicman, August 28, 2015, 07:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

We were on our way home from the Pig Roast and I was driving through Chattanooga, TN in a rainstorm when the customer called.  "I know that your website says that you do not sell lumber but do you know where I can buy some ERC"?  Since I was busy driving, I told him that I would call him later.  After we got home I had a chance to talk with him.

This customer is 35 years old, 4 children, and has been laid off from his oilfield job.  He has some customers wanting various pieces of ERC furniture, etc.  He told me that he had previously paid $1.00 bf and he had some money saved up to buy more lumber if he could find some.   I decided what I would do.

I had this whack of ERC logs that were left after Andy White got his trailer load, and they needed sawing.  As we kept piling lumber on his trailer I noticed that he became uneasy.  He finally said that he might not have enough money to pay for that much lumber.  I told him "just a few more logs".  When we finished, I did a rough tally because it was all sawed "one live edge", and it conservatively was 600 bf+.  I told him "no charge" for the lumber.

Words could never describe the surprise and disbelief that the customer expressed.  I told him that after he used that lumber and got some cash flow, he could come back and we would saw him some more logs.  We could then work out a fair price for his future lumber needs.

The customer leaves with a happy load of ERC lumber.     
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ScottInCabot

That's a fun way to spend the day!

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

Dave Shepard

I bet you sure made his day. It just might be the leg up (old saying) that he needed to get ahead. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

Well done. Keep up the good work.

I hope everything works out for the guy. Sometimes just a little lift is all someone needs to get his footing and keep on climbing.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

There were several times in my young life when I could have used a helping hand.  The funny thing was that I did not know this fellow.  I was in my driveway at 5:45 this AM waiting for him to round the corner.  He then followed me 46 miles to the Cabin, where we first introduced ourselves.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Good on ya, Lynn!   ;)   :)

I really like those kind of jobs, I do one once in a while, but usually just 1-3 logs!

Ya done good!   smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Andy White

Lynn,
Don't that make your whole day!! He will never forget that load of lumber. If it catches FIRE, I know he won't forget. You are always doing good for someone. Thank you sir for being the example to others that you are.   ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

tmarch

Quote from: Andy White on August 28, 2015, 08:37:22 PM
Lynn,
Don't that make your whole day!! He will never forget that load of lumber. If it catches FIRE, I know he won't forget. You are always doing good for someone. Thank you sir for being the example to others that you are.   ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)    Andy
X2
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

bkaimwood

MM IS the man...classiest dude goin'...a true role model...
bk

thecfarm

A friend that a friend would like to have.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You'll get paid over and over again Lynn.....but I think you already have once.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bruno of NH

MM
That's a great thing you did !
Helping some one get a jump start .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Sixacresand

Good Deal,  Lynn.  Looks like you both got a blessing. Thanks for posting.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

breazyears

nice to read that. good for you.

deadfall

I love the gift economy.  You change the world with it for the better.  Thank you. 
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

kensfarm

You gave him a job..  and his pride.  People are struggling.. very kind of you.   

YellowHammer

Sometimes pride is all a guy has these days, and all it takes is a helping hand to give him a leg up out of a hole.  Great job, you are the man.  You constantly show, by your personal example, that there is a lot more to being a sawyer than just owning a sawmill.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

deepsouth.us

Well, you stuck to your no lumber sales policy.

Strong work, magicman. God has a way of placing people in the right place at the right time. Ya done good, sir.

Timberking 2000

deadfall

I know that I was on the receiving end of much kindness and generosity when I bumbled up here to the north woods from the LA suburbs that I somehow knew was not my earthly home.  I hope I remember it all, though memory seems to be getting away some.  I could not have made it on my own. 
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

BCsaw

I think in this case, it is teaching a man to fish.............

Help people to help themselves. Good on you MM. These kind of things inspire.........all of us. :) :)
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

ScottAR

The trick to having good friends is to BE a good friend...

Your a good egg MM...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

fishfighter

You're a good person MM and I sure that will rub off on that young man.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

dean herring

God Bless you Mr.Magicman
You never how just one simple act of kindness can touch someone
Well done
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

WDH

In this case, he just saws em and watches em leave. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Well done! Pay it forward works every time,  I'm sure this deed won't go without rewards,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bill Gaiche

Well dome Lynn. You know this person probably has learned a valuable lesson if he didn't already know about a helping hand to someone in need is important and he can do the same thing down the road. bg

fat olde elf

I figured that you were OK when I first met you at the Pig Roast. You just keep on proving it.  Hi Pat !!
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

clww

Great story to read about! Well done indeed. :) :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Nomad

Good Show, Lynn!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

slider

I thought you were a slickster when I met you at Jake and Lorains now dang it i've got to re-think it.Good deed Lynn
al glenn

78NHTFY

...you're a class act sir Magicman, and an example to us all.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Grizzly

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 28, 2015, 08:54:16 PM
You'll get paid over and over again Lynn.....but I think you already have once.  :)

Somehow I suspect this is why Magic does it. Everyone around him wins but he still gains the most (inner contentment) and continues to be a classy act. Someday I'll get to meet you. Come tour Waskaseau in Prince Albert National Park next time you want to tour Canada.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

OffGrid973

Posts like this make me happy to be part of the woodworking family.  Great job MM.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

purple otter

Magicman ,you have a Magic Heart ! God Bless you !
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

flatrock58

You have a good heart MM.  I know all about layoffs in the oilfield.  Times are hard now, but maybe this will help him out till things pick up again.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Magicman

Thanks guys, but it was not about me.  It was about reaching out to someone in need and giving him a helping hand.

flatrock58, I have a Grandson that is laid off from the oilfield.  It is a tough situation because he thought that his job was relatively secure.

Percy

Quote from: Magicman on August 29, 2015, 10:00:52 PM
Thanks guys, but it was not about me.  It was about reaching out to someone in need and giving him a helping hand.

Very cool. You are setting an example for all of us who are able to help those who need it, but dont. If we all did this, every one, there would be no need for welfare or any social programs for the needy. There would be no needy.....You da man Magicman.....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

flatrock58

Magicman I hope things turn around soon and your grandson gets back to work.  I was only laid off once in 31 years, but I saw many layoffs.  It was always feast or famine.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

stihltoomany

Man of honor that Magicman
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

loggah

Your a good man MM!!!!!
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

buzywoodliff

Our world still has nice people.... If you can't find one, then be one!! 

The best part is, it's contagious!

Well done sir

Red Good

Make me proud to share this space in time with someone like you MM . Thanks for being you .
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Sixacresand

As somebody said, if you are a blessing to someone, then you get a bigger blessing back.   All these "pat on back" posts you're getting on this thread, seems to me, like ample blessings back.  Good deal MM. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

sandhills

I've been blessed to have had landlords and an uncle that often times I compare to you, although we've never actually met I know you'd have loved them.  I know you feel good that you did what you could to help that family out, but trust me, you did a LOT more than you think, and made a friend along the way  :).

mesquite buckeye

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Joey Grimes

I have had people help me like this when I was getting started .You will be rewarded 10x
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

arnold113

Lynn, I thank GOD for people like you and Pat. Thanks for letting me call you my friend.
Arnold
DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

Kingmt

When I started reading that my first thought was someone taking advantage of someone down on there luck. So first I will say sorry. Seems like the people on this forum are a different bread that I haven't seen in a long time. I have enjoyed the advice I have gotten here. I'm glad to hear of such a story. Thanks for sharing.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

Thank You Sponsors!