iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric motor question....

Started by Dewey, August 28, 2015, 08:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewey

I have a Blower Motor that I use to help pull sawdust from my mill... For some reason out of the Blue it won't start on its own....  I have to hit the switch and give the blower a spin to get it to move... It takes a minute to get to speed but works fine once it gets going ??? Any Idea's ????

deepsouth.us

From what you've described it sounds like it could be the starting capacitor.
Timberking 2000

Den-Den

If this is a single phase motor, it is one of these:
* Starting capacitor
* Centrifugal starting switch (inside motor)

If this is a three phase motor, it is likely "single phasing" meaning that one of the connections is not getting power.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

jcbrotz

Quote from: Den-Den on August 28, 2015, 01:40:32 PM
If this is a single phase motor, it is one of these:
* Starting capacitor
* Centrifugal starting switch (inside motor)

If this is a three phase motor, it is likely "single phasing" meaning that one of the connections is not getting power.

What he said^^^
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Kbeitz

You probity got sawdust between the starting points...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dewey

Hmmmm...  All good points....  It had been unused for quite awhile and had sawdust piled around.....  I finally rigged up the hose overhead turned it on for a second and it worked... finished up with hose hook up and it didn't work.... so I guess I will pull of any covers I can and give it a good blow out and see what happens....
It is a single phase... If it is a capacitor is that something that is easily fixed... and if so where would I get parts ???? Maybe Grizzly ??

sawmilllawyer

You could get the capacitor(s) from an electrical supply warehouse, as long as it is the same rating. Had to replace one on my 3hp Rockwell shaper. Works great now. Cost was around $20.00. Andy
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

deepsouth.us

If it is the capacitor, it's an inexpensive fix. Pull it off and carry it to a local electric supply, or motor shop.
Timberking 2000

Kbeitz

Quote from: deepsouth.us on August 29, 2015, 12:01:58 AM
If it is the capacitor, it's an inexpensive fix. Pull it off and carry it to a local electric supply, or motor shop.

Or E-bay.....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ladylake

Being unused for a while it's most likely the staring switch.  There are some points in it that you can sand with fine sandpaper to clean up any corrosion .   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!