iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Had to change the oil and rotate the tires on my debarker today.

Started by customsawyer, August 27, 2015, 07:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

I got over ten logs in for the crane mat orders and all of them had been part of the shovel road. As you can see there is mud caked inside the bark. As I was sawing it looked like the old dust bowl days. It would have been interesting to have cut them early in the morning as there would have been sparks flying. The log was like this from top to bottom.  :o

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I had some logs like that quite a few years ago!

They were Hemlock, but the bark resembled Beech!  :o

The bark was jamb packed with clay!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Not very pretty,  but from what I've heard, you don't fret the small stuff..
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

I told him that he had a nice sharpening system  :D.  He did not respond  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Definitely going to be a bunch of "sharpen then set" bands.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

fishfighter

Brian C.

How many "soda pops" did it take to resharpen those blades?

customsawyer

Quote from: fishfighter on August 28, 2015, 06:25:25 AM
Any chance to pressure wash them?

I'll have the log cut faster than you can pressure wash it also the outer layer of bark was clean. This was under that outer layer where a pressure washer wouldn't reach.  ;)

Quote from: Brian C. on August 28, 2015, 11:57:06 AM
How many "soda pops" did it take to resharpen those blades?

Haven't sharpened them yet but it will take a couple I'm sure.  ;D Are you offering to come help if I buy the "soda pop"?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PC-Urban-Sawyer

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on August 28, 2015, 08:02:41 PM
I know the answer to that question.   ;D

Me too, it's like the words to the old Conway Twitty song "Because that's my job, that's what I do" 8)
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

customsawyer

www.thecustomsawyer.com

4x4American

just for crane mats anyways aint like they gotta be perfect!
Boy, back in my day..

jmouton

ill sharpen  if you buy the soda ,,,  wait though   i dont know how to sharpen ,,,  ok then  ill just sit and drink some soda while  you sharpen ,,,,hows that  for problem solving 

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

WDH

That could work.  And, I could supervise both of you. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

One should probably take a look into Jake's blade house before volunteering.  That guy gots blades.   :o

Andries

Good advice from MM.
When I had a visit at Jake's sharpening shed, I was amazed at the of number blades in there.
He had more flat cardboard bladeboxes than a busy pizza delivery joint.
. . . but then he seems to mill hardwoods only, plus take on milling the "metal" logs from the big mills, and plus plus, now he's taking on sand encrusted logs!
We had a few soda drinks and sharpened a few too.
I coulda been there all month though.
Gotta hand it to you Jake.
When you're working, the sparks are flying!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

customsawyer

MagicMan you need to hush. I just about had them talked into it for a case of "soda pop". :D

It is starting to sound like I will have more supervisors than sharpeners.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

jmouton

sounds like i might be gettin snookered into something  ,,,,as long as danny is supervising  it will be fine  i guess 

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Magicman

Quoteas long as danny is supervising  it will be fine  i guess
Careful.

That Danny guy that you probably are referring to slips in, gets the good stuff, and slips out.  He is desperately trying to imitate a business plan of sawing and leaving, but the red clay between his toes clouds his ability supervise such a high tech operation that Jake runs.  He generally just stumbles around mumbling and talking in tongues about fruit such as Cherries and Walnuts, while occasionally swearing about the Devil.  He is apparently having some difficulty with math because Quarters is the only fraction that he understands.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on September 02, 2015, 09:37:11 PM
Quoteas long as danny is supervising  it will be fine  i guess
Careful.

That Danny guy that you probably are referring to slips in, gets the good stuff, and slips out.  He is desperately trying to imitate a business plan of sawing and leaving, but the red clay between his toes clouds his ability supervise such a high tech operation that Jake runs.  He generally just stumbles around mumbling and talking in tongues about fruit such as Cherries and Walnuts, while occasionally swearing about the Devil.  He is apparently having some difficulty with math because Quarters is the only fraction that he understands.

He sometimes goes under cover sitting on corners watching for logging trucks while selling boiled Peanuts.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!