iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"New" truck for the mill

Started by ddcuning, August 27, 2015, 05:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddcuning

I haven't been on the forum lately, been pretty busy this summer with vacations, getting the house pressure washed and getting my "new to me" truck going.

I was going to buy a heavy truck next year but ended up picking this one up this summer. It was a box truck and I cut the box off and made a 20' flatbed out of it. The base for the box was 3" steel I beams on 16" centers so that should hold anything I need to haul with it. Had to replace a couple of tires, new belts, oil change, shocks, simple stuff. A lady in my office had a mobile bakery in the box of this thing and the business closed so the truck sat for two years. She was going to give the truck to charity but I offered her $2500 and she took it. The truck only has 62,000 miles on it, 6.6L diesel with air brakes rated at 22k. This thing should suit my needs for years to come at the mill.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

clww

That sounds like a great purchase. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

MrMoo

WIwoodworker

Yep... That'll do the trick.   8)
Peterson 9" WPF

sawguy21

That truck looks clean, a good buy at that price.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Satamax

The other day, Kcwoodbutcher said he would love this one (not mine btw, it's a friend's)

It's funy how people tend to like what they can't get. Myself, i realy dig the looks of thoses fords. They would be fantastic in 4WD. Do they exist in 4WD?   Do you need a special licence in the US for thoses? 

Over here, anything above 3.5 metric tons, and you need the C licence. Semi trailers are even worse, You need the EC, costs about 4000 dolls!

Mind you, i have a weird one. I can drive a light vehicle semi, 12.5 metric tons! But i'm not allowed a non articulated truc over 3.5t! Weirdos in France i tell you!
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

John S

2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Warped

Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

red

I think that 6.6L is known as the Brazilian Diesel that New Holland also used .... its suppose to get Great Fuel mileage ???
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

ddcuning

Red, you are correct, it is the Brazilian Diesel from New Holland. I have put about 250miles on the truck and it is getting about 12mpg. That is 3mpg better than my 7.5L gas engine in my F250 so I am fine with that. When you consider the cost difference between gas and diesel, I am coming out about even but with much more capacity.

Satamax, this truck is rated at 22,000lb which is under the weight that requires a commercial drivers license. When you go over 26,000lb, a CDL is required in the US. I can drive this on my normal license although I had to get a commercial insurance policy.

Dave C

jcbrotz

Might want to find out if you need a commercial license due to air brakes you would need one in PA.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

sawmilllawyer

Great deal on a nice looking truck. Way to go.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Satamax

Quote from: ddcuning on August 28, 2015, 12:11:08 PM
Red, you are correct, it is the Brazilian Diesel from New Holland. I have put about 250miles on the truck and it is getting about 12mpg. That is 3mpg better than my 7.5L gas engine in my F250 so I am fine with that. When you consider the cost difference between gas and diesel, I am coming out about even but with much more capacity.

Satamax, this truck is rated at 22,000lb which is under the weight that requires a commercial drivers license. When you go over 26,000lb, a CDL is required in the US. I can drive this on my normal license although I had to get a commercial insurance policy.

Dave C

Thanks a lot Dave.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

MSSawmill

Great deal on a great looking truck! As long as you've got forks on a tractor or a forklift to load it, it should haul all kinds of goodies. Now you just need a heavy trailer to pull behind it and haul the tractor/forklift on!  :)
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

ScottAR

The trailer can be a sticky as one big enough to put a tractor on would put it over 26k and require a CDL.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

21incher

Looks like you got a great deal on a truck that is barely broken in.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

ddcuning

We do have a 16k rated trailer to pull behind the F-700. As mentioned on this thread, will have to be careful about the total weight. The idea was to pull the forklift on the trailer then load the logs on the truck and carry all back in one trip. I generally don't pick up more than 4 logs at a time so I should be ok but with logs and forklift, I will have to watch it and stay under the 22k weight that the truck is tagged for.

In NC, you do not have to have a CDL for the air brakes. I checked on that before I bought it. I have heard that other states require CDL for air brakes. No questions about my license when I inspected and tagged it.

Dave C

Thank You Sponsors!