iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Strange Malfunction

Started by Magicman, August 26, 2015, 06:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I was sawing SYP today and noticed that my blade started loosing tension.  I checked and surely enough the blade was hot.  Strange because this was the first log and a fresh blade.  I started looking for a wedged chip or something rubbing the blade when I spotted the problem.  The chip deflector had bent down and was rubbing the blade.

A crescent wrench was all that was needed to bend it upward and parallel to the blade again.  The tension then held and the blade ran cool.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

MM,

Any idea how it got bent?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bandmiller2

That's the indication of an experienced sawyer, he recognizes a problem and corrects it before harm is done. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 26, 2015, 07:42:23 PM
MM,  Any idea how it got bent? 
This is probably the third time that I have had to straighten the deflector.  I had a blade to break recently so that is probably what bent it down and did not notice it.  I guess a few years of being constantly bombarded with sawdust also takes a toll because the end is completely rounded with wear.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

My deflector has bent slightly back toward the roller a couple of times. Mostly it just kinda creeps up (no matter how hard I tighten the screws). I've never had it bend down ???.

However ... last year when I was sawing an older Douglas-Fir, a piece of bark about the size of a half golf ball came loose, went into the sawdust catcher at the front of the drive side housing, got grabbed by the blade and tossed over to the idle side and finally came to rest somewhere. There was a lot of banging going on until it settled down, but no harm done ... I thought. Then my blade started to go slack. Opened up the lube and the blade started to give off steam :o.

When I shut down and opened the covers I found the piece of bark (which is kind of like cork) wedged between the outside of the blade and the idle side housing. The motion of the blade just wedged it in tighter.

That blade has never cut true ever since. I'm sure I managed to distort it from the heat.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

I had this to happen a few years ago.  LINK

mesquite buckeye

We get stuff like that every couple of days cutting with mesquite. Either a big chunk of bark or a wedge pops off the log. They don't always get stuck, and not always is it bent, but I am watching for that thing to get bent all the time. :-X :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!