iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Chain

Started by Autocar, August 26, 2015, 05:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Today while skidding logs I saw a chain on my trail it turned out to be a 16 foot long and the rings are 3/4 inches thick it was all I could do to get it on the tail gate of the truck. It has a hook on both ends and I figured it was used to skid logs out behind a dozer and they lost it years ago. But pretty cool fine wish it could tell me some storys about it's days in the woods.
Bill

treeslayer2003

timber was prolly big back then. i find stuff like that all the time. i wish it could talk lol. i once found pine bark rings 8' wide.......how in the world did they handle logs like that back then? it boggles the mind.

clww

Seems like we find chains, or pieces of them, on most every job we do. We haven't seen any that big, though.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

BargeMonkey

We found a dozer once, parked against a tree. Older outside blade D4. Dragged it out of the woods, the guys who had been in there 5-6 yrs prior had run it out of fuel, and told the boss it had blown an engine in the woods and wasn't worth fighting to get out, he just left it.

BargeMonkey

I've got a 23.1x26 bear paw I found in a log pile, need to find a mate to it, it's about 75% good.

lopet

I am the one who's losing chains and other stuff  >:(    Only once I re found one.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Atlantic Trader

I have found a few old skidder main lines all kinked and coiled up, the odd piece of chain, just this summer found a rifle scope wedged in a crook in a tree and the tree grew around it so it was stuck there.  It is till there . Another time I found a wrist watch about 10 feet up hanging on a pine branch stub on a 200 year plus tree, after asking around found out my neighbour put it there no idea why?

enigmaT120

My wife found a couple of new choker cables (they don't use chains much around here) after a fairly recent clear cut bordering our place.  They were too big for the stuff I cut so I gave them to a logger friend of mine.  After buying one new for myself recently (a smaller one) I think I should have negotiated some free chain sharpening from him!

She also found a nice, sharp little double bit axe that I use for limbing logs.  It's as fast as a chainsaw for most of the stuff I work with, and a heck of a lot quieter and lighter.  That's when I don't use a machete.  Yeah I cut small stuff. 
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

beenthere

Quote from: enigmaT120 on August 27, 2015, 12:11:36 PM
.... found a couple of new choker cables (they don't use chains much around here) after a fairly recent clear cut bordering our place.  ..........
... also found a nice, sharp little double bit axe that I use for limbing logs.  .........

Don't mean to judge, but seems these items belong to someone else and could have been returned to them, as long as they were not found on your property. just thinkin.......
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dsgsr

The Ice chains I have in the "For Sale" section I found on this property I bought last yr. The last cutting that was done on the property was 9-yrs ago. I figured the one that lost the chains have had plenty of time to come get'em. I haven't had any bites yet.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Thank You Sponsors!