iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small Chainsaw or Clearing Saw?? Which should I get now?

Started by cottager, August 26, 2015, 04:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cottager

New Member here from Ottawa ON.  Hello everyone. 

So here is my very first question. I've got a few mid-size chainsaws, but just took possession of a 5 acre cottage property that is so heavily infested/wooded with small, medium and large trees on the east side of our cottage, that we can't even walk through the 300ft to the edge where the lake is.  I don't think a Woodpecker can fly through it.

So, we started cutting down a small area so we could see the lake last weekend (selectively choosing where we wanted it to remain thick and trim it out so we can see the lake) and quickly realized that there are well over a thousand 2"-5" trees to cut as property is on a point and we'd like to see sun come up in the East.

My idea was to go get a Shihl clearing saw, but no one has these in stock (and the largest one is over $1000 US - $1495 CDN).  If I got one, I would be able to use it now, and maybe for each new year.  However maybe it's overkill as I am thinking it may be better to go get a light easy to hold much smaller chain saw than I already have instead, and get a BUSHCUTTER for the yearly maintenance.

Any thoughts?  ps: my cottage property images are in my Itemtopia profile here. (link to offsite photos removed by Admin)

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Sounds like you have made the right decision, that is if you are in a hurry to get all those saplings cut.

Note: Check out the forum rules for off-site pics (at bottom of every page)... then put them in your gallery here after naming an album. It's the way the forum works best.
Look forward to seeing your pics of the cottage.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV Mountaineer

I don't know what kind of saw to advise on as I'd go about it in an entirely different manner.

Personally, I'd take a much smaller percent of the money the brush saw is going to take and buy some herbicide to kill the trees once cut.  Then, I'd cut the viewing lanes with a saw I already had and spray the stumps to kill sprouting.  Once I got it under control, I'd turn the cut lanes into grass lanes and maintain as such.  A little more work over a longer period of time initially to get a lot less work in the long run because it would be easier to up keep.  But, I'm frugal and sweat is cheaper than a tool I had only one use for.  So, disregard if this doesn't apply to you.  Good luck on what you decide and God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

NH-Murph

A guy with a skid steer and a forest mastication head can get a lot done in a single day.  Just mulch left behind with no stumps.  It might be worth trying to find someone local with that kind of setup to give you an estimate.  Never hurts to ask...

cottager

I love the skid steer and mulch idea, though it would take more than a day.  That saves me from pulling the saplings up to the garage and burning them.   Hmmm.  *DanG never thought of that.

thecfarm

cottager,welcome to the forum. I have done a lot,2-3 acres of old grown up pasture with just a chainsaw and a cheapy push lawn mower. I cut the stumps down low and when they start to sucker out mow them over with the cheapy lawn mower. Keep at it for 3-4 years steady and the grass will come back and look like a field again. I do have to go back and cut some stumps down again. I'm kinda like WV Mountaineer,it may take more time,but it's done now and looks real good now. If I get a year out of a lawn mower,I'm doing good. Use to be able to get them for about $100.now they are up to $140. It's alot more work,but like the other guy said,but I'm frugal and sweat is cheap.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

NH-Murph

^^^ That is what I am in the midst of doing right now.  Definitely takes some sweat equity.  I'm gonna sic the pigs on it once I get a bit further along.

sandsawmill14

when i cleared my house lot (2 acres) it was about like what you are describing i went and bought a 35 cc mac at walmart cleared the lot and never ran it again.  if its only 1000 or so trees that small once you get started you will be amazed how quick you can get it done. it took me about 4 days to clear and pile the brush on 2 acres but i was 21 now i would guess 2 months :o :( :'( :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

HolmenTree

It takes a good experienced clearing saw operator to clear thick small bush as cottager says he has.
The problem is when these small trees get hung up half standing a clearing saw is not as versatile as a chainsaw to cut them and then buck them up when their on the ground.

But I have seen clearing saw operators who know what their doing thinning stands for a living and they do amazing work.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

mad murdock

Welcome cottager! I would hack and squirt to kill the trees i want out first, then either cut or better yet go with the mulcher, and you will have mire time for fishing!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

cottager

Thank you everyone.  Well, the clearing saw is out for sure.  Killing the tree after cutting so that no new shoots appear is a fantastic idea.  Glad I joined!  I'm planning this weekend on cutting a 5' wide path which I can wood chip so I can drive my UTV down to the water with a cold case of beer in the back, ready to sit on the dock.  I just picked up a Arctic Cat UTV yesterday to winch the trees out of the bush - OK was really an excuse to get one.  But that's the story I'm sticking to.

HolmenTree

Sounds like a good plan. But beware of tire punctures ATV/UTV tires aren't exactly forestry grade. :D
Welcome to the site BTW.

goose63

cottager I have had real good luck Range Star on cottonwood saplings some 4 foot tall I get it at the Ag center and mix it a little strong this stuff will kill any kind of weed and not hurt the grass
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

John Mc

I'm a big fan of clearing saws. Bending over to cut a few saplings with a chainsaw is no big deal, but if you're cutting thousands, that gets old fast.

If it's just for personal use, you don;t need to get a top of the line clearing saw. I have a Jonsered GR2036 that I picked up 10 or so years ago. With the right blade on it, it goes through 1" hardwood saplings like butter, and cuts 2" hardwood easily (buckthorn - which is pretty darn had stuff). I can do larger if needed, but if it gets much above 2.5", I clear the small stuff and come back with a chainsaw. For softwood like pine, I have no hesitation cutting 3", probably could do larger. It's a handy tool to have around, and I can swap heads to use it as a weed whacker if I want (it's overkill for that).

I do agree with hitting the cut stumps with an herbicide. I use glyphosate (RoundUp), since it's about the only thing you can get in VT without a commercial license. You do have to use a much higher concentration that what the local hardware store sells for weed killers (typically a couple %). I use a minimum of 25% glyphosate when doing cut stump buckthorn treatments. Anything less is only partially effective. I often just use the 41% concentration right out of the container. You can brush it on, or fill a small squirt bottle and spray on.  Putting a little food coloring in the solution makes it easy to tell which stumps you've hit and which you haven't.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

cottager

Well I wasn't expecting what I just bought.  Based on your advice, I nixed the clearing saw.  So I went to the local Husky dealer to view the smaller chainsaws like a 240 so I would have a lighter unit cutting near the ground (bending over) or cutting above my head, and he said he wouldn't sell it  :o  to me.  He said "if I wanted to cut lots of saplings at the base and also use it to reach high to cut branches up above your head (in those cases where I didn't want to cut the large trees but just trim them up so that light can get through for a view), you should buy the Husky 327LD.  Those multi-tools seem like a gimmick. 

The Stihl clearing saw was $1495 Canadian, and this unit came in parts.

So, he set me up with all these options on it, and it still came to less than $ 1000 including tax.  As you can see from my note on the bottom left, I got a deal on the added warranty too.

OK I had zero idea how to add a photo - and tried numerous things to do it including setting up my new gallery which I called pics, and trying to upload to the main user gallery, but can't figure it out.  It's a png file. :-(     OK I finally figured I need a jpg and not png (??) but the quality of the jpg is not very good....so here is a link to the same photo as you can't even read my notes.  Here was my great pick-up today.  (Link to offsite photos removed by admin)

cottager

Realizing that many here are pros with pro equipment (which is what I usually buy), I'm a little scared this thing is donkey quality.  I'll let you know as it will get 10 solid hours on the weekend.   And where the heck did my picture go I uploaded?

beenthere

You have a pic in your gallery.
Go to your post and "modify" the one where you want to insert your pic.
Use the "click here.... " line below and then click "my gallery" when the window pops up. Click your pic and it will enlarge. Then scroll down a page or so and you will see "insert image in post".

Your link is just a hodge-podge of many, many things... worse mix than facebook.  ;D
Have no idea what is intended for us to see... at least I can't understand it.

Or link to the Husky 327 LDX for us to see what it looks like. ;)
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/trimmers/327ldx/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV Mountaineer

I hope the guy didn't talk you into that because it was more money for him.  And, I hope it works as well as he sold it to.  It is your money and your choice but, a competent saw as a 1/3 to 1/2 that.  I love Husky professional grade equipment.  It is hard to guard and as good as any.  The homeowner grade leaves a lot to be desired.

FWIW, 5 of my buds have bought home grade power equipment from Husky dealers here.  All five are now running commercial grade Stihl products currently.  The Husky stuff just breaks and, these dealers won't warranty them as warranty suggests.  I'm not sure if that applies to your clearing saw but, lets hope not.  God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

HolmenTree

Cottager,
Take that unit and accessories back. Way too lightweight and not practical for what you need.
It sounds like you may have worried him when you said you will be cutting above your head with a chainsaw. Which of course is not a safe work practice
Get a small chainsaw and promise  to him you won't  cut above shoulder height.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, cottager.  I favor hack and squirt plus a chainsaw.  I dislike gimmick salespeople that sell you what they want you to have.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

nitehawk55

Too bad the back pack clearing saws never caught on , I've cleared a lot of land like yours with my Stihl FR 350 . Google for a pic but only 2 of these were sold in Canada . You can work for hours without much fatigue .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

WV Mountaineer

Gheez man, if that link Beendare posted is your machine, you got hosed my friend.  It's a weed eater with attachments.  If the dang saplings are that small just run the winch cable on your UTV around a bundle 5 or 6 feet squared, tighten it up, and pull them out of the ground with the UTV.  If they are to big for that, I'd take the glorified weed eater back and get a chainsaw.  Good luck

edkemper

WOW! I wonder what that salesman was thinking.

I have almost 150 acres of the same description. I've been using a construction grade (JD210LE) to knock over trees to give me both a property/fence line and a road through my property.

Easy-Peasy. There is no way I'd personally be willing or able to do what you want to do with the model they sold you.

I knock them over, pull them out. Cut the root ball off and limb them smooth. Able to salvage most of my downed trees and use the logs for other purposes.
Old Man

Ada Shaker

Hi, might be to little to late, but years ago I used to use an item on my brush cutter called a Triton Chain Blade, made by Triton but there may be other brands available, and I don't know if there still available but they made very light work of what you described for clearing up small trees at ground level (no bending over). Generally the only requirement was with the brush cutter, it required to have enough hp and revs to cut through the trees which wasn't difficult as at the time I only had I maclloch I purchased through one of those large retail stores, but more importantly the brushcutter benefitted by having a centre extension past the blade which the sappling/tree would bear against whilst it was been cut. Effectively been wedged between the cutting chain blade and centre brushcutter prong. The chain blade was relatively cheap (under a hundred bucks) and was basically a metal disc with a chainsaw chain fitted to it. Something you may wish to consider even at a latter date for maintenance. I only mentioned Triton as its the only one I know of that has ever made them, but then again there may be others, good luck.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

beenthere

Ada

I used to have such a blade for my Stihl brush cutter. IIRC, they were sold by the name of Beaver Blade. I thought they stopped selling in our market place.  But see they are still available.
http://www.atvyardtrim.com/BeaverBlade.shtml

I liked the way the chainsaw chain cut through wood. A bit bigger kerf and handled larger stems better than the narrow kerf solid blades.
south central Wisconsin

Ada Shaker

Quote from: beenthere on September 04, 2015, 02:02:52 AM
Ada

I used to have such a blade for my Stihl brush cutter. IIRC, they were sold by the name of Beaver Blade. I thought they stopped selling in our market place.  But see they are still available.

I liked the way the chainsaw chain cut through wood. A bit bigger kerf and handled larger stems better than the narrow kerf solid blades.

Thanx for the warm welcome.
Tried replying earlier but don't know what happened to the post.
Good to see these things are still available in the market place, there a good cheap option if used correctly.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

CTYank

Quote from: beenthere on September 04, 2015, 02:02:52 AM
Ada

Look on Amazon for various-diameter chainsaw-cutter-equipped brushcutter blades, like the RazorzMax I just got for my Echo. Be sure the brushcutter has a solid straight shaft, not the "slinky" spring noodle.

For lots of the cutting mentioned, low and high, I grab my 25 cc polesaw. It's worked great for busting up the tops of blowdowns. Greatly reduces the need to move your feet (and trip) besides. Can make it pretty easy (relatively) to hack an access path through a morass while generating manageable pieces.

At least another viable and cost-efective option.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

cottager

Sorry for the late reply, been traveling.  (in fact off to Scotland this Wednesday for 10 days)

More photos of me working this Husky 327DX to the bone, and what we accomplished in 2 days over two weekends. 

I'm a little exhausted and looking to relax.  (link to offsite photos removed by Admin)
I'm part of the team that builds that App I used BTW.

cottager

Hi Moderator, there must be a mistake.  Why would you remove links to my "off-site" photos, when they are not links to "off-site" photos, but the webpage that contains those photos, exactly like the person above puts a link to photos on the BLADE they used, http://www.atvyardtrim.com/BeaverBlade.shtml which is virtually the exact same blade. ?  That webpage URL stayed but mine did not??

My info and that URL is very relevant, and I already have those images on that page.  There is no Ads on that page, and I am not selling anything, and nothing is for sale.

Everything I own is in Itemtopia and as I use things or have issues, I save notes and images there. I use it to store what I do to my car, tractor, trimmer, power tools, etc.  If I have a problem with my car, I send the service department the URL link to my note issue, so I'm not cutting and pasting images, or notes all the time.  I just send the URL to the issue. 

In this case, I was sharing the URL to my trimmer - which happens to include what I did.

So if you want images, here they are.  But this is the page below it went to - and it's easier to see all my cool images on the link, just like above on the link it's easier to share a URL to the BeaverBlade.shtml

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/40611/forest.jpg

Here is how you can see the images properly with a link to my webpage.  NOTE FROM ADMIN, ONE MORE OFFSITE LINK TO PHOTOS AND POOF!

beenthere

And itemtopia could be gone tomorrow.. we'd have nothing to support your post.
Whereas the Beaver blade could be googled and found.

Think you are missing the point of the clever design built into the FF that will serve it well into the future. But up to the admins to sort through what you are doing.
south central Wisconsin

cottager

Oh, I get it.  It's so that the image posts don't become dead links to dead images. I hate that too on forums.  Got it   :)

So a smart move it is have it viewable two ways - because posting the images solves this, but also adding the URL allows users to zoom into other related details, like previous Item history or related notes and pictures.  You see, the way my wife and I use it, we basically attach notes to our Items.  I love forums, so when I am posting about my product or issue, I can reference the main topic, but someone can go deeper if they wish.  (this saves boring the heck out of everyone).

cottager

Been there,
When I click on that URL image of the URL Page I referenced, it's so tiny that no one can read anything.  Storage is soooo cheap on Amazon and other services, is there a way I can get a larger screen to be referenced and shown?   

beenthere

Upload the .jpg file into your gallery. It will then look like every other pics on the forum.

For some of us, we (or maybe just me) are not looking for a bunch of other un-related pics and places to browse...

And when pics are posted on this forum, I like (not speaking for others or the admins) to see some story line or two explaining what is particular about this pic that the poster wants us to see.

Just seeing a bunch of pics... well you can understand I think, what just looking at someone's stack of pics is like with no explanation. Happens often enough, so there are many examples. I believe it is why the gallery is not a depository for people's pics.. all pics in the gallery should be in a post with their reason for being there.. be it to emphasize a point, to explain in pic form that is better than just words alone.

south central Wisconsin

cottager

The size of the uploaded photo into my gallery was 1702x977, yet it displays at 640.  Is 640 the largest that gets displayed?  It makes it tough to see good details. 

beenthere

This is the pic in your gallery. A pic of a screen shot. What detail on this page is significant?

south central Wisconsin

cottager

None.  It's the wrong one.  LOL   :D

It's the one with the Note on what we actually did with the Husky, which is why I started the thread - as I was wondering what to buy.  But, then comes the cool part of my URL.  If you clicked it, you could see the note in greater detail - and - you can click on the IMAGES inside the note - and - if you clicked on Husky Tool bar, you'd see the entire item - and - if you clicked on the Associated Items while at the Item you can see the Cottage where I used the Husky, and all the things I've done to the Cottage, - and - you can see the UTV I bought to carry all the wood to the dumping area of the property....and...

Well, you get the picture.  The web and forums are wonderful for linking people together.  And that's why we all use them.  But a picture can't tell the relationships to the whole store, or the details.  That's why the web has URLs, and that's why I shared mine, just like people reference articles on the web.

ON ANOTHER NOTE, I need to find out how you embedded the photo! 

beenthere

I, for one, am not interested in going on a treasure hunt.. such as you describe. Sorry.
south central Wisconsin

cottager

Sometimes neither am I.  But in other times, I love to research more about something.  Right now (I just ALT-TABBED to you) I am reading about something a co-worker gave me, about how Elon Musk (Telsa and SpaceX) asked to be interviewed and talks about why he really started SpaceX to colonize Mars with a million people.  Fascinating.  Don't believe.  http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/05/elon-musk-the-worlds-raddest-man.html

Jeff

OKay, I have been requested to make an appearance in this topic to explain something that has been explained too many times to count on this forum over the years. But what the heck, one more time for old time sake eh?

The heck with that. My time is worth more than that. I aint going to do it. I aint going to explain it again, and I aint going to defend it.

Put your photos in a forum gallery. Only put photos there that are going to be embedded within a post.  Embed your photo in the post by using the embed code found under the photo once it is in your gallery. Never point to the gallery and say "See my picture in my gallery". Easy as pie for most, a bit complicated for a few, impossible for idiots.

I'm getting old. My time is getting personally more valuable to me. So many complaints about photo posting over the years has turned me into a crotchety being.  There it is, figure it out from there via the forum section on posting photos, or pay the consequences.

Quote from: cottager on September 21, 2015, 06:25:35 PM
Oh, I get it.  It's so that the image posts don't become dead links to dead images. I hate that too on forums.  Got it   :)

So a smart move it is have it viewable two ways -
No, the smart way would be to follow the rules on the Forestry Forum that have been in place for a decade and a half. By the way Cottager, I've never noticed you before. Welcome to the forum. Don't let us make this our goodbye, that would be a shame.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

cottager

Jeff,
No worries.  I'm not going away - love the forum, and I am an avid reader here.  Also truly appreciate the time and quality of the forum data.  The image selector is not very intuitive to a newby, so it's just a fact it's hard to figure out.  No offence.

I wasn't being sarcastic is saying to post images in gallery and the hyperlink for more detail. I was agreeing with the posting of images to the gallery, but also to the URL so people can see more info.  The fact is that while this forum has been going for a decade and a half, this forum has survived because of this gallery and the idea of images staying.  So that's great.

But....The URL and links should not be discouraged in the case of more info.  In my case, my URL was deleted and the reason didn't make any sense - IF - both the image and the URL are included.

But since you put so much time into your message to me (which I greatly appreciate), I think you can also appreciate what I was bringing up.  The images in the gallery stop dead links, only until the user removes them from the gallery and then, the message it related to has no image.  Second, the images are not very large and considering phones now snap 12MB size photos, 640 has been rendered 1994 technology and isn't good for seeing detail in some of our stories.  In my case, you couldn't even see the tether line going up to the tree from the UTV, yet my URL brought you to the hi-rez images and full details.  You really cannot see the level of detail which is now virtually free on photos storage services for storage of huge size images via forums or software applications.

Thanks again Jeff. 

cottager

Jeff, Forgot to ask you - if someone puts up an image in the gallery, and then embeds it into the post, is it allowed to ALSO post a URL to the larger version, or a URL to other information related to the post?  I already explained why that's relevant.   Thank you

Jeff

beenthere

cottager
Review (or read for the first time) the Forestry Forum rules at the bottom of every page.

There is a section on posting Forestry Forum photos.  Works for us.
south central Wisconsin

Jeff

CHet is not here right now, so I can't sic him on ya.  You are lucky.

I'll answer your question briefly, once, and please understand. We know what we are doing, so No, NO and NO, and for an extra cherry on top NONONO.

The reason?   We can't control what image that link leads to.  As an example.   I have people try to steal our bandwidth here, by uploading photos to our gallery so they can post them elsewhere on the internet.  Do you know what I do when I find out?  I replace the photo here with one that says THIS IMAGE STOLEN FROM THE FORESTRY FORUM, or something to that effect. depends on where it was being used.  Then I rename the original image here, and fix the link in our posts.  Way to much work, but worth it to leave a message on someone elses website that we don't appreciate bandwidth theft.

And that can work two ways.  We don't have time to click on every image link. Say someone decides to replace the picture of the sawmill with a crude picture of good times with their pet sheep girlfriend. We wouldn't know it until it was found by someone and reported. We don't want that someone to be a young person or your mom would we?

cottager

Ohhhhhh, Interesting. People stealing of bandwidth when they can post on bitly for free.  Anyhow - I gotcha. 

Al_Smith

:D  "decides to replace the picture of the sawmill with a crude picture of good times with their pet sheep girlfriend." < Jeff  :D

Now I've been half way around the world twice, under water to boot .Been to two county fairs and one goat roping but I never heard that one before . 8)

Thank You Sponsors!