iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Southern Pine Beetles (I think)

Started by Beavertooth, August 26, 2015, 04:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beavertooth

I have 20 pine logs to saw up for a guy and they have been down 3 months. I took my mill and set it up this morning and cut the first log up. This one was about 12" diameter and the wood is not rotten at all just bug holes in every board I cut. I assuming they are southern pine beetles that hit the logs after they were down. I have never had this situation before since I have always been able to get to whatever needed cutting pretty quick and am wanting to know do these beetles stay in the wood and keep eating away or what. Is there anything my customer could spray the lumber with to get rid of them? All holes pencil lead size and some blue staining. Have not talked to customer as we are suppose to cut them all up Friday. That is if he still wants the lumber.
Thanks for any advice.

2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Texas Ranger

Southern Pine beetle hit live trees, there are number of insects that hit the dead wood.  My opinion without seeing the logs is it will be a waste to cut them, no viable lumber.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Beavertooth

Texas Ranger,
   Are you saying they would never hit a freshly cut pine tree once it is cut into logs and the smell is everywhere.?

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The Southern pine beetle is a bark beetle so does not penetrate in wood. It is only active right under the bark with living trees. You have a different insect.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Texas Ranger

Southern pine beetles hit verticle stems only, they are attracted by phermons, not from resin oder.  Other insects are attracted by the resin.  One method of control for the SPB is to cut and leave in place the green tops and unaffected trees in front of the live head.  Best method is to cut and haul immediately to the mill.

Beavertooth

Is there anything that could be sprayed on lumber after it is sawed that would kill all wood boring insects.

Beavertooth

I have 20 pine logs to cut for customer that have been down for 3 months. I cut the first one today about 12 inch diameter into 2x6's and all the boards have pencil lead size holes. Looks like powder post beetle holes. Wood is not rotten at all just the bugs. Does anyone know if there is anything customer could spray lumber with to kill all woodboring insects or this particular bug. I never had to deal with this before as I have been fortunate enough to always get them cut pretty quick.  Thanks for any help.

WDH

You have ambrosia beetles.  They hit the trees after they were felled.  Unlike bark beetles, they bore into the wood and lay eggs.  The eggs hatch and the new beetles bore out.  They need a good bit of moisture in the wood to complete their life cycle.  Once you saw the boards, they will leave the lumber in a matter of days.  They do not like the drying lumber.  They are harmless and will leave on their own accord.  The only issue is that they leave the little black lined holes. 

Here is a loblolly pine board sawn from a beetle killed tree.  Once the bark beetles have weakened the tree, the ambrosia beetles attack it secondarily.  Notice the black lined holes from the ambrosia beetles.

Here is another pic of some freshly sawn pine boards laid out on my stacking table.  You can see that the ambrosia beetles are leaving the board since it had begun to dry for about 4 or 5 days.  You can see their little piles of sawdust at the exit holes.

As long as the wood is sound and solid, no need to do anything.  The ambrosia beetles, if any are still in there, are going to leave the drying lumber very soon after stickering.  No need to spray anything, either.  They are going to leave, spray or no spray.  The only thing that the spray will do is kill the ones that are leaving, and that is not going to be worth the effort. 

Saw the boards, and if they are good and sound, even though some may be blue stained and some may have the little ambrosia beetle holes, sticker it quickly in a place with good airflow, or even better, put a fan on the stack, and the little buggers will move on to better hunting grounds. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Blue denim boards, is there still a market ?

WDH

I have three customers waiting for some, one to wainscott panel a remodel, one to make a sliding door, and another to build a bar table.  The ladies really like the blue color and the rustic beetle holes.  There is a market right now around here.  I wouldn't say that the market is huge, but it is there if you can advertise. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Be aware that the Denim Pine Marketing Association has registered the name "Denim Pine."
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

Can they claim rights for those two words for southern pine as well? 

Magicman

QuoteAll holes pencil lead size
Back to the OP.  Those pencil size holes are caused by Longhorn beetle grubs and will be as deep as 2-3".

My woodworker customer yesterday was excited to see the holes some of which are visible in this picture.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Advertise as Blue denim-like boards. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

So, if someone thinks you are infringing on their trade name, they could file a claim against you for maybe $5000.  You could hardly afford a lawyer, let alone go to court....it would cost much more than $5000.  If you do not show in court, the court issues a summary judgement against you.  So, the cheapest is to pay them a negotiated. smaller amount, and stop using the name.  Or maybe the cheapest is not to even get close to using it.  (I speak from experience, as my consulting service has been involved in cases like this.)

The name does apply to pines. 

Maybe joining the association is an option too, especially if their fees are based on production volume.

WDH

MM, he said "pencil lead" sized holes, not "pencil sized" holes  :)

Gene, I think that will stick to "blue pine".  I don't have $5000 to donate. 

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on August 27, 2015, 08:35:34 PM
MM, he said "pencil lead" sized holes, not "pencil sized" holes  :).
Thanks, yup I missed it, I guess because I had just sawed lumber yesterday with pencil sized holes. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!