iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Questions on ship lap and dado'ing

Started by thechknhwk, August 25, 2015, 06:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechknhwk

I was initially going to board and batten my barn, but I think I'm leaning towards ship lapping.  My initial thought is to run the ship lap on my unisaw with a dado blade set.  My questions are will this be a viable method, can anyone recommend a specific dado set, and can I use an 8" dado set on a 10" saw as long as the arbor is the same size?   This will be all ash lumber.  I could also do this on the logosol since I plan on planing them anyways.  Anyone recommend a good knife supplier?  Thanks for any input.

Larry

Dependent on the Unisaw arbor length you will be limited to around a 3/4" - 1" dado.  Either a 6" or 8" dado set works well on a Unisaw.  Anymore I think the different brands are pretty comparable so long as they are in the same price range.  The high dollar ones are really made to prevent chipout on veneer plywood.

Moulder's don't like to cut on the side of the knife.  The bottom will look nice but the side can look ragged.  Grinding a relief on the side of the knife helps and might be good nuff.  That's such a simple profile I wouldn't pay anybody to grind a knife.  Get a piece of knife steel and do it yourself.

I have made ship lap by pre-ripping on the table saw.  Next step is to run it through a jointer equipped with one of those steps that nobody uses.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

pineywoods

Last batch of shiplap I milled, I used one of them cheap wobble type dado blades on a radial arm saw. I like being able to see how the blade is cutting.  worked well
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!