iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wallee's Milling Thread

Started by Wallee, August 25, 2015, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on February 05, 2016, 08:19:04 PM
Way to go.  You are giving that LT15 a workout.   8)
Ha ha I'm pretty sure if this lt15 could talk he or she would be like lay off me man! I wasn't built for this much!
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Verticaltrx

Quote from: Wallee on February 06, 2016, 02:39:42 PM
Ha ha I'm pretty sure if this lt15 could talk he or she would be like lay off me man! I wasn't built for this much!

You'd be surprised, in a lot of third world countries they run LT15's day in and day out producing large volumes of lumber. With plentiful/cheap labor you can saw a lot of lumber on a manual mill.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

Dave Shepard

I think you'll get tired long before that mill. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

I think she likes it!  Remember it's a Wood-Mizer if it could talk it'd prolly be saying comeon hurry up let's go that all you got!  Chicken!  hahah  :D :D
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Quote from: Verticaltrx on February 06, 2016, 06:49:58 PM
Quote from: Wallee on February 06, 2016, 02:39:42 PM

You'd be surprised, in a lot of third world countries they run LT15's day in and day out producing large volumes of lumber. With plentiful/cheap labor you can saw a lot of lumber on a manual mill.
Well I have to say mine has cut a lot! You know with some hydraulics to turn the logs, I could mill a whole lot with this lt15!
Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 06, 2016, 06:55:32 PM
I think you'll get tired long before that mill. :D
We will see! I am a resilient hard headed young buck!
Quote from: 4x4American on February 07, 2016, 10:03:44 AM
I think she likes it!  Remember it's a Wood-Mizer if it could talk it'd prolly be saying comeon hurry up let's go that all you got!  Chicken!  hahah  :D :D
You are probably right! Well I know one thing, if I don't get an upgrade I really wont care because I have seen what a lt15 and 2 men can do if they want. May not be big production to some but I am just looking to make a living and feed my family and the lt15 has done that for me. of coarse I have my logging and horses supporting me as well but I can assure you one thing, whenever one thing was going a little slack, the lt15 has sure helped fill in the gaps and paid its way!
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

plowboyswr

Wallee, have you put some thought into putting a pineywoods log turner on the L15?
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Wallee

Quote from: plowboyswr on February 08, 2016, 06:23:11 PM
Wallee, have you put some thought into putting a pineywoods log turner on the L15?
Haven't heard of it! Do tell?

47sawdust

Wallee,
How is your shoulder holding up?If you are committed to keeping the Lt15 there are many log turner possibilities.Pineywoods and Elk42 both have mods that bear looking at.Elk42's fits right on the Lt15 track but would require a track extension to ''park'' it.
Check out there galleries and do you search,lotta possibilities.
Nice work.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

pineywoods

Wallee, go here.  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,39860.0.html

The original is on my wm lt40, there once was a guy in Raymond that had one on a lt28. I'm about a 2 hour drive from you, welcome to come look...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Wallee

Quote from: pineywoods on February 10, 2016, 09:56:51 AM

The original is on my wm lt40, there once was a guy in Raymond that had one on a lt28. I'm about a 2 hour drive from you, welcome to come look...
I might take you up on that pineywoods!
Waiting to hear something from bank right now, still considering a upgrade.
In the meantime here is the load I sent out yesterday!

Ohio_Bill

Good Looking Lumber      Let me guess 1875 bf .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

plowboyswr

Quote from: pineywoods on February 10, 2016, 09:56:51 AM

yep that's the one.  Paul Case had one one his EZ Boardwalk that he hooked up to his tractor remotes.  That would get ya started and cut a little cost to start.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Deese

Wallee, you are really getting after it!  8)
I mean, wow  :o
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

KirkD

Am I the only one that gets really tired just seeing what all he does? What it would be like to be that age again huh?
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Wallee

Quote from: KirkD on February 10, 2016, 04:27:02 PM
Am I the only one that gets really tired just seeing what all he does? What it would be like to be that age again huh?
Well let me make you more tired lol! This is what I cut and loaded today!

And here is my work horse!

Wallee

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on February 10, 2016, 10:35:39 AM
Good Looking Lumber      Let me guess 1875 bf .
Close! It was actually right at 1500bf!

Peter Drouin

Nice to see a man with some Giddyup. smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sandsawmill14

wallee has the exact same equipment i started with except i had ford 555 backhoe for loading and no winch on my tractor for skidding i worked 3 days a week logging and 3 days a week sawing oh and i had a 8 hp hudson manual mill but that was before the forum and all the mills i had seen were homemade so i though i was on top and i could see no reason to spend an extra 6 grand for hydraulics  :D :D :D if i only knew then what i know now ::) ;D ;D ;D

wallee go for the up grade while you still feel like running it if you have the work and can swing the payment. ties are looking good for a while from what they are telling me BUT remember cheap gas is a double edge sword and i can remember ties being under $20 so bear that in mind when making you decision  :)  looks like you have it going good just have to decide if can double production and make more money  ;D or if it would be less :(  good luck with whatever you decide :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Wallee

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on February 11, 2016, 07:16:16 AM
wallee has the exact same equipment i started with except i had ford 555 backhoe for loading and no winch on my tractor for skidding i worked 3 days a week logging and 3 days a week sawing oh and i had a 8 hp hudson manual mill but that was before the forum and all the mills i had seen were homemade so i though i was on top and i could see no reason to spend an extra 6 grand for hydraulics  :D :D :D if i only knew then what i know now ::) ;D ;D ;D

wallee go for the up grade while you still feel like running it if you have the work and can swing the payment. ties are looking good for a while from what they are telling me BUT remember cheap gas is a double edge sword and i can remember ties being under $20 so bear that in mind when making you decision  :)  looks like you have it going good just have to decide if can double production and make more money  ;D or if it would be less :(  good luck with whatever you decide :)
Thanks buddy! Looking at mills the mill of my choosing would be double the price per month so I just don't know if I want to do that to myself. Thinking about throwing a trailer package on my lt15 to be mobile and buying an edger. Thoughts?

Ohio_Bill

I know a trailer package would be wonderful , but I moved my LT 15 several times with a flat bed 14 ft trailer and it was very easy .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

red

Get some lights and saw 24 hours a day
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

4x4American

Whatcha looking at for an upgrade (ifn ya dont mind me asking of course) unless it's a surprise lol
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on February 11, 2016, 08:29:25 PM
Whatcha looking at for an upgrade (ifn ya dont mind me asking of course) unless it's a surprise lol
Ha ha Everything! I just cant stand the thought of taking on too much payment per month. My thought process is that hydraulics would be wonderful but is it cost effective for me? Sure I am busy now, but what about the future? If I go hydraulic, I would be looking at pretty much double the payment of my lt15 no matter how you look at it and whatever color mill. I like the idea of a mill with a trailer package and the shape of the woodmizer frame looks good for offbearing. The lt28 looks like I could get a winch log turner, which could help with the bigger logs to turn (I try and stay away from overly large logs). Going up to that mill would allow me to have the trailer package, bed shape, upgrade to the 25hp kohler over my current 19hp, 1 post cantiliver head, and of course the log deck package. So I am leaning this way to see if I can push my business along with the mill for a while longer till I can justify paying so much a month for a hydraulic mill. I mostly have been milling at my site and have the support equipment there. What is everyone's thoughts to my ponderings?

Wallee

Quote from: red on February 11, 2016, 11:11:54 AM
Get some lights and saw 24 hours a day
I have lights and have sawed up until 10pm  ;D

sandsawmill14

i personally would not upgrade until i could go to a full hyd mill. the extra 6 hp wont pay the difference in a 100 yrs ;D if portable is the direction you want to go thats different but instead for trading mills i would get 2 sticks of 6" channel iron an axle and a set of magnetic tail lights and make it portable. if you buy a new break axle you will still be less than a 1000 bucks :) thats what i did on the hudson minus the breaks. mill, trailer and all is way less than 3000 lbs so no need for them.  portable sawing brings on a whole different bunch of headaches but some like magicman like it and are great at it. its not for me but you might like it :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Thank You Sponsors!