iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wallee's Milling Thread

Started by Wallee, August 25, 2015, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallee

Figured I would just make a thread to share the day to day stuff I am doing around the mill. I am a huge fan of pictures and posting stuff I do so I figured someone may be interested and I am sure I will learn from what others will have to say about what I am doing!

To start off, Here is what I milled yesterday evening after finishing up the horses for the day.

And Here is some stickers I sawed, 1" by 1".

Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

plowboyswr

Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Wallee

Quote from: plowboyswr on August 25, 2015, 12:54:36 PM
:P with interest  ;D
I knew some would find it interesting!  :D Hang in for the ride lol  8)
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

WV Sawmiller

Wallee,

Interesting so far. Can you update your profile to show what kind of mill and support equipment you are using? Will help us understand the challenges and accomplishments better.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

petefrom bearswamp

Nice!
Glad to see another miller who is not claiming to average 2,000 ft per day on hardwoods
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

bkaimwood

Amen!!! One man band, happy to saw 600bf
bk

slider

Good job Wallee.Take this for what it's worth but i started making all my stickers and dunnage the same length .Every thing is around 48 in.You get better air flow and when loading a trailer it fits .Your packs will look neater as well. It's good to see your progress and your interest in making a good product.
al glenn

Wallee

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 25, 2015, 05:27:48 PM
Wallee,

Interesting so far. Can you update your profile to show what kind of mill and support equipment you are using? Will help us understand the challenges and accomplishments better.
Sure I will update some of that tonight!
Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on August 25, 2015, 05:32:44 PM
Nice!
Glad to see another miller who is not claiming to average 2,000 ft per day on hardwoods
Ha ha oh yeah no where near that!
Quote from: slider on August 25, 2015, 09:03:49 PM
Good job Wallee.Take this for what it's worth but i started making all my stickers and dunnage the same length .Every thing is around 48 in.You get better air flow and when loading a trailer it fits .Your packs will look neater as well. It's good to see your progress and your interest in making a good product.
Thanks! Yeah this is the first stuff I have really tried to keep neat and stacked and stickered like what I want. I am thinking of taking the chainsaw and sawing off all the excess stickers that are hanging out. Would that be a bad idea lol?

Magicman

Good idea.  A battery powered circle or reciprocating saw also works.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on August 25, 2015, 11:01:15 PM
Good idea.  A battery powered circle or reciprocating saw also works.   ;D
Im liking the reciprocating saw idea! I have one of those I love running it for some reason lol

Also here is a video from around the mill I made. Cutting some logs to length and a little rambling at the end!
https://youtu.be/OSGpK92YhJI

Wallee

Here is a question I bet tons of you can help a rookie with. I am wondering how much water to run on my blade. A slow drip? or more? Reason I am asking is because I notice I have to scrub wet sawdust off every board... That is annoying lol. If I run the water more it seems to not be as bad. SO what is the effects of too much water vs. too little?

5quarter

Wallee...nice thread. I saw dry most of the time. When sawing white oak and pine, I will occasionally have to clean the blade. when I do, I use a diesel wipe. A clean blade is a happy blade. 8) ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Warped

I was using water in the beginning because I thought it was the thing to do, I've found it's not needed for what I do and run it occasionally if I make more passes than usual. Maybe that will change when I start on some white pine. Besides sawdust sticking, it freezes it to the board in the winter.
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

sandsawmill14

i just run a slow drip unless i start to see buildup on blade the i will run alot (1/8" steady stream) until i finish that log. had an ash log cause major buildup yesterday bad as pine  never had that happen in ash before :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

East ky logging

Wallee how do you like the the log clamp on your mill I seen you had one break but do they do a pretty good job.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Wallee

Quote from: East ky logging on August 26, 2015, 08:15:16 AM
Wallee how do you like the the log clamp on your mill I seen you had one break but do they do a pretty good job.
They do a good job! I was over clamping in the beginning. I guess I was thinking of using it as a dog on a carriage when it indeed was as it was called and just a clamp. So I have been using it lately just slightly snugging up my cant and it has got a lot better.

Wallee

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on August 26, 2015, 07:39:49 AM
i just run a slow drip unless i start to see buildup on blade the i will run alot (1/8" steady stream) until i finish that log. had an ash log cause major buildup yesterday bad as pine  never had that happen in ash before :)
Do you have a lot of sawdust sticking to your lumber?

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

redbeard

Wallee,  try a drying stick on the ends of your stacks 2"-4" in from the ends, it helps prevent checking if your staking bunks on top of each other. Your shins will appreciate cutting the excess lengths back. I have settled in on 42"-44" drying sticks. I try to grade them clear of knots so they don't fall apart.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Wallee on August 26, 2015, 10:08:36 AM

there is quite a bit of dust on the lumber but its not wet and you can drop the board on its edge and it will almost all fall off. my feed rate may be enough faster than yours to keep dust from getting wet and sticky. today i sawed 54 7x9s and a total of a little over 3800 bd ft today  ;D i love sawing big gum. my numbers are about half that in white oak and even less in hickory  when my wife gets her new camera i will try to get a video posted of it sawing
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

WDH

Yes, the first sticks need to be at the ends of your boards. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Delawhere Jack

Very nice stack of wood for an evenings work, especially from a manual mill. As far as lube water -- just enough, but not too much. If your mill has a tension gauge, keep an eye on it. Dropping tension means the band is getting hot -- run more water. Watch for sap on the band, add more water. If in doubt......add more water. You'll get a feel for it over time. Cool clean bands are what you want.

Wallee

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on August 26, 2015, 05:41:30 PM
Quote from: Wallee on August 26, 2015, 10:08:36 AM

there is quite a bit of dust on the lumber but its not wet and you can drop the board on its edge and it will almost all fall off. my feed rate may be enough faster than yours to keep dust from getting wet and sticky. today i sawed 54 7x9s and a total of a little over 3800 bd ft today  ;D i love sawing big gum. my numbers are about half that in white oak and even less in hickory  when my wife gets her new camera i will try to get a video posted of it sawing
Heck yes to the video idea! Man o man you was getting it at 54 7x9's! Ha ha I would love to be able to saw that many! In time, In time I will!! I cut my first few gums about a week ago and it went alot faster than these pin/red oaks I have been in!

Wallee

Quote from: WDH on August 26, 2015, 09:43:23 PM
Yes, the first sticks need to be at the ends of your boards.

Note taken! I will add some in there!

Wallee

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on August 26, 2015, 10:33:21 AM
This is a good idea. ;D
Thanks! I will post tons of pics! I will even post a few of my logging adventures from time to time!

Thank You Sponsors!