iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What will winter bring?

Started by HiTech, August 25, 2015, 12:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiTech

Right now I am thinking it will be mild and wet. Why? Well in my area there are very few to not any wild berries. Blackberries, blueberries are almost non-existant this year. The apples are falling early and not many cones on the evergreens. Maple trees have very few seed pods on them. About the only tree with plenty of seeds are the box alders, they always seem to have a gazillion. lol Also the ground is actually dry. Had my dozer over in my woods today and the ground is like powder. Seems we had a lot of rain but it is disappearing fast. I have been wrong on the weather probably more than I have been right but that is just a feeling I am getting now. My Butternut and Black Walnut trees also have very nuts on them. Normally the branches are drooping with the weight of them. Anyone else seeing what I am?

47sawdust

After reading your forecast I guess I'll go ahead and order that new rain gear!My friend Cameron used to say there is no such thing as bad weather ,just bad clothes.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

wfcjr

Not sure what winter will bring, but....

Has been wet most of the summer in VT.  Dried out recently, but not unpleasantly dry.

Apple trees are loaded heavier than we have seen in years.  Some trees have broken under the load.  Beech trees are full of beech nuts.   Farther south and at lower elevations,
oaks are also full of acorns.  Not sure what it means for winter, but deer will have plenty of hard & soft mast this fall.

beenthere

HiTech
QuoteMy Butternut and Black Walnut trees also have very nuts on them

Meaning few or many?  or big or small?   just curious....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

petefrom bearswamp

Apples plentiful here as are black cherry.
Dont know about the beech nuts up north yet this year.
Havent checked the maples in my woodlot yet
Tree seeds are dependent on many things and trees dont produce every year for many reasons
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

ehp

they are calling for snow in Oct. and for it to stay , very cold winter they saying is coming . Its kind of almost like fall here already

coxy

more than likely  it will bring snow at some point   ;) :) ;D why are you thinking about winter  ??? :-\ :-X it will be here soon enough  :D :D

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Decked

weather channel said just this morning ,another tough winter in the northeast... ::)

dustintheblood

I used to like all you folks, but all this crazy talk about winter's making me change my mind.

My hopes on anything but that ridiculous, never ending cold we had last year.  I'm sure if I check in with my buddy in Nova Scotia, he'd be hoping for a little less snow this year  :D :D
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

David-L

Heavy apple crop here, I believe the pollinators were busy during the very dry spring here. some trees are bi-annual but are still loaded. Hornet and yellow jacket nest's are off the ground around here also and the animals are collecting food like crazy. We shall see, have an extra 5 cords on hand ready to go.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

snowstorm

i think it will be cold and it will snow just like it always dose. i even did a little pre winter shopping. i bought another pickup that came with a 9' fisher vee plow. then a deal that was to good to pass up came along. i bought a new unused but 7 year old everest 10' highway plow that will go on the f550

HiTech

Quote from: beenthere on August 25, 2015, 02:11:34 PM
HiTech
QuoteMy Butternut and Black Walnut trees also have very nuts on them

Meaning few or many?  or big or small?   just curious....
Sorry!! Should have been very few

thecfarm

I don't want to say anything,but in this area looks like another winter like last year.We have been spoiled here with the mild winters. Last one was on the cold side and some big storms too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

NH-Murph

Farmer's Almanac is calling for another cold, snowy winter around here.  I've got much more faith in the almanac than any meteorologist these days.   

mesquite buckeye

I predict that winter is coming. ;D

There will be cold and snow. ;D

And I predict I will miss most of it in sunny Tucson, Arizona. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball1: :snowball1: :snowball1: :snowball1: :snowball1: :snowfight1:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

coxy

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on August 26, 2015, 10:29:29 AM
I predict that winter is coming. ;D

There will be cold and snow. ;D

And I predict I will miss most of it in sunny Tucson, Arizona. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball1: :snowball1: :snowball1: :snowball1: :snowball1: :snowfight1:
I think the ff members in the west and south should not tease  the ff members in the north about how nice and worm,sunny it is there  :D :D :D :D :D :D

mesquite buckeye

I also predict that I had enough of Minnesota winters over 40 years ago.  ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Teasing is required starting about Thanksgiving. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ScottInCabot

According to one fella, if you haven't been paying for those carbon tax credits....it'll be hot!

What says the Farmers Almanac?

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

Ken

I will plan on lots of snow and cold weather.  If it works out differently I will be pleasantly surprised.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Ed_K

I'm with Ken on this one  ;)  8) .
Ed K

dustintheblood

Wood shed's got two full years stored away, new glycol in the boiler, new insulation in the workshop.  Gawd if I don't spend all summer gettin ready for winter.

We're ready for winter, but not as eager as years prior since we got the swamp work done last year when it was crazy cold.  A comfy -18C or more would be great.  That -40C crapola for weeks on end was a bit much.
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!