iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Improvise, adapt, overcome!

Started by Delawhere Jack, August 24, 2015, 04:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Half of a 40" white oak log left to mill and battery bites the dust. Tried jumping it and was able to get the motor running, but not enough juice for the hydraulics. Pulled the battery from my truck only to find it was too wide to fit in the battery box of the mill. No problem, turn it sideways and use duct tape to strap it in.

Start milling again. About halfway down the mill the head stops. Saw guides are clear, nothing in the drive chain, nothing binding against the head post....  say_what Hmmm... Then I see. The battery is hitting the wheel. Ok, we'll set in on the control box, just need some jumpers.

Into the clients shop we go and find an 8' piece of 12-2 UF cable. Cut it in half, bared about 5" wire on each end and twist them together. Used a Mini-Mag flashlight and pliers to form a loop for the battery posts. The three conductors twisted together for each pole was able to carry enough current for the hydraulics, and we finished up milling some absolute top notch white oak.

Oh yeah, we saw a bald eagle too!

goose63

Some times you just do what you gotta do to get the job done :D :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

samandothers

Necessity is the mother of invention!

Magicman

That riggin' had to set some kind of record, and I hope that I am never in competition with you.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

In the first pic....well.....never mind.  :D

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I wondered too but I was afraid of the answer.   :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 24, 2015, 05:49:45 PM
In the first pic....well.....never mind.  :D

That's the client admiring and dusting off some of his AMAZING quality white oak boards.

I wander off to the tall weeds to relieve myself. Don't want anyone walking through it....... myself included.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Magicman on August 24, 2015, 05:49:29 PM
That riggin' had to set some kind of record, and I hope that I am never in competition with you.   :D

That is a great complement coming from a miller who I hold in high regard, and hope someday to come close to your accomplishments. Thank You Magic.  8)

Heck, one time I jumpered across the posts of the 250A fuse with about the same method. Twist together a bunch of smaller gauge wire to handle the amperage. Before anyone gets on my case about that, I KNEW why the fuse had blown, and it had nothing to do with any fault on the mill..... "Somebody" had hooked the battery up backwards... ::)

The best part is, now I get to go shopping for a new marine battery. I'm sure that won't hurt..... not at all.... :'(

deadfall

After looking over all of this, I notice the tag line: "I ought to know better....."

I have to wonder about the origin of that one.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

WDH

That is not the way that I "dust off' my boards, even with white oak  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brian C.

Another place where jumper cables do more than start vehicles. And there is always a dirty tire that needs washing.

Thank You Sponsors!