iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lower power pro saw or a Higher power pro-sumer saw (Stihl MS 241 vs. MS 271)

Started by grandgourmand, August 23, 2015, 09:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

That's a good point, Spike. When I say I tend towards smaller saws (and I've probably said the minimum at some point, possibly in this thread), I mean the minimum that will get the job done well. 

However, "well" is a subjective term. Cutting well for me might mean my 2152 with a 16" bar and a well sharpened chain for felling a 12" hardwood, especially if I'm going to be at it all day. For someone else, a 372 might be the minimum they'd consider.  I don't cut all day, 5+ days a week, so I tend to suffer from "weekend warrior syndrome" when I finally do get in a few good days of cutting. I've also got a chronic neck/upper back injury that usually means a trip or two to the chiropractor if I don't use good body mechanics when cutting. I don't mind spending a few extra seconds cutting with the 2152 if it means I can go all day and not end up with a trip to the doctor. A 20-something year old who does this for a living would probably go bonkers using such a small saw to get his work done.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

nitehawk55

One saw that you are overlooking in Canada is the Echo CS590 Timberwolf which is a 59.8cc (60cc class) saw that comes with 18 or 20" bar , myself I would go with the 18" but that's me .
These saws are working real well and the other thing is the 5 year warranty which is the best around . I know the president of Echo Canada , he was head of marketing when I worked for Stihl Canada  , good guy .

You will find these saws for sale right now for $450 and for a pro built saw up here that's a deal (actually they had them last fall for $399 but the weak $$ is hurting us .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

ZeroJunk

I am pretty sure I could take any of these clam shell saws and use it the next twenty years if I make it that far. A few cords of wood a year is just not much use on a saw. Now, I like pro saws and usually have a half dozen or so. But, thinking that I actually need one or am going to save any measurable time would just be silly.

Pine Ridge

I've been reading this thread since it started, and some very good points have been made about different brands and saws, i still think a 545 would be a good choice. Weimedog mentioned dealer support, that is very important , you want a knowledgable and helpful dealer that will be there when you need them, regardless of whatever brand you settle on.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

grandgourmand

Quote from: ZeroJunk on August 26, 2015, 10:42:20 PM
I am pretty sure I could take any of these clam shell saws and use it the next twenty years if I make it that far. A few cords of wood a year is just not much use on a saw. Now, I like pro saws and usually have a half dozen or so. But, thinking that I actually need one or am going to save any measurable time would just be silly.

All true.  And I acknowledge in my OP that a pro saw is overkill for my needs.  If I hadn't had my 445 stolen, it would be my saw for however long it lasts.  But as I started developing the interest in saws, my eyes started to wander.  And now, my wandering eyes can settle on an alternative saw.  This isn't about "need", this is about "want".  I don't even "need" to cut firewood...I "want" to.  I use a little bit, and I give the rest away.  It's something I love to do, wish I could do more of it.  And over time, I do plan on doing more, at least in terms of cleaning up trees in my stand and trying to improve the quality of my woodlot.

Hope this doesn't sound defensive, because it's not.  Just being honest about stuff. 

This thread has got me thinking about a lot of things, going back and forth on which models I'll consider.  enough to go crazy with indecision.  So at the end of the day I've decide to go with what I want, not necessarily what I need.  And that's going to be between the 545, 550xp or 261 C-M.  It now boils down to how they feel in my hand, and price. 

John Mc

Quote from: grandgourmand on August 27, 2015, 11:54:41 AM
...at the end of the day I've decide to go with what I want, not necessarily what I need.  And that's going to be between the 545, 550xp or 261 C-M.  It now boils down to how they feel in my hand, and price.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the 545 and the 550XP are going to feel the same in your hand, same weight, same size, etc.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Wild Man Jack

There is a new echo cs-490 on sale this fall for 399 CDN. Same construction as the cs590 but a 50 cc.

beenthere

Quote from: ZeroJunk on August 26, 2015, 10:42:20 PM

All true.  And I acknowledge in my OP that a pro saw is overkill for my needs.  If I hadn't had my 445 stolen, it would be my saw for however long it lasts.  But as I started developing the interest in saws, my eyes started to wander.  And now, my wandering eyes can settle on an alternative saw.  This isn't about "need", this is about "want".  I don't even "need" to cut firewood...I "want" to.  I use a little bit, and I give the rest away.  It's something I love to do, wish I could do more of it.  And over time, I do plan on doing more, at least in terms of cleaning up trees in my stand and trying to improve the quality of my woodlot.

Hope this doesn't sound defensive, because it's not.  Just being honest about stuff. 

This thread has got me thinking about a lot of things, going back and forth on which models I'll consider.  enough to go crazy with indecision.  So at the end of the day I've decide to go with what I want, not necessarily what I need.  And that's going to be between the 545, 550xp or 261 C-M.  It now boils down to how they feel in my hand, and price.

smiley_thumbsup  smiley_thumbsup 

That is a nice place to be, when deciding what to buy for a saw. Enjoy the ride, like it sounds as that is what you are going to do..  8) 8)

My day or week just doesn't seem complete without sawing up a tree or two for some firewood and use of a chainsaw.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sweetjetskier

The Husqvarna 555 is a perfect saw for what you are looking to cut. I recently picked up a pre-owned 555 and cant say enough good things about it.

Nice power, ergonomics are spot on, starts easy, sips fuel. Run it with a good sharp chain and you will be a very happy guy, the envy of the neighborhood  8)
Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

HolmenTree

So at the end of the day I've decide to go with what I want, not necessarily what I need.  And that's going to be between the 545, 550xp or 261 C-M.  It now boils down to how they feel in my hand, and price.

Well if you got it narrowed down to those 3 saws just feeling them in your hands is not your  best decision.
Put that 550xp into a log or limb a felled tree and then your decision will be made.

Yes it's a pro saw and costs more money. But you'll never regret  it

I got 3  550's that I supply just for an annual chainsaw speed cutting competition and they run awesome.
As 2nd pic shows run them in from  brand new at WOT in a block of wood for 5 minutes to set the Auto tune.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

WV Mountaineer

I'm a 271 kind of guy.  They are a monster for what they are and in my experience will out saw 310's any day of the week.  So, I'm assuming they will out saw 311's.  But, I have PERSONALLY witnessed them EASILY out saw well tuned 290's and 310's.  They are a power house and the perfect saw for a homeowner just wanting to cut wood.  God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

WV Mountaineer

Well, I run a 241 tonight and let me change my opinion.  It is one bad little saw.  241 all the way. :embarassed:

God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

Blackgreyhounds

Quote from: HolmenTree on August 23, 2015, 09:01:09 PM
grandgourmand, don't  liston to the advice that the MS241 is too small.
For your experience level trust me it's  perfect for you. Why gamble with a plastic  crank case "disposable " saw. The pro grade 241 with care will last you a lifetime for what you do.
The 241 is super light and comes with the excellent cutting Picco 3/8 63PS b/c that will cut anything you throw at it and you'll have excellent support with a Stihl dealer.

For the newbie I advise to go with Stihl.
I agree with this sentiment.  However, I don't think either the 241 or 271 would be your best bet for your usage.  I think you would be much better served by a 60 cc. one-saw plan.  I love my MS361, but there are definitely alot of very excellent options out there, such as, Husq 550/555, Jred equivalent, Echo 590, Dolmar 6100, etc...

ladylake

Quote from: WV Mountaineer on August 29, 2015, 07:48:59 PM
Well, I run a 241 tonight and let me change my opinion.  It is one bad little saw.  241 all the way. :embarassed:

God Bless

With that low pro chain on a 40cc saw some cut just as fast or faster than   50 to 55cc mid range saws . I ran my little Echo CS400 against a good running 029 Stihl (56cc) and a Rancher 55 Husky(53cc) , it cut faster than the Rancher and was 1 second behind the 029 in a 16 second cut and that CS400 weighs 13# vs 18# for the 029 ready to cut.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

grandgourmand

The least I could do is follow up to my own thread to let you know how things ended up.

So...as I may have mentioned I was down to the 545, 550xp and MS-261 as my final three candidates (none of which was on my original thread title).  I ended up buying the 550xp.

I quite liked the 545, and a lot of you were recommending it.  But the dealer was willing to knock $50 off the price of the 550xp and threw in a free case.  Since I kind of had my heart set on it...that made the decision for me (well, that, and the free hat  ;D). 

The MS-261, I liked it.  Felt a bit heavier, but that definitely wasn't the deciding factor.  What made my decision was the dealer.  Firstly, I had bought from this guy before and he had walked me through my original purchase.  Second, in talking to the Stihl guy and the Husky guy, it was like night and day.  The Stihl guy, all he could say about an individual saw was something like "We sell a lot of those, so they must be good" whereas the Husky guy, well he knows these saws inside and out, gave me the low down on each saw. And when I eventually bought it from him, he went through two saws before selecting mine since he didn't like how the oil was running through the first one (stuff like that is why you buy from a dealer). Now I'm not saying that Husky dealers are better or that Stihl dealers are worse...just that in my case I felt a lot more comfortable with the Husky guy.  And when I bought it...it felt like a weight off my shoulders and I felt good (I struggle with these decisions).  So there...that's it.  I'm sure the Stihl is a great saw, but that's how it worked out for me. 

Which brings us to the first trial.  Well, first time I fired it up at the dealer I could tell there was a lot more power than my 445 had.  It was a rainy, crappy day so I hadn't planned a field test, but I had to do it.  Drove down to farm...bucked up about 1/4 face cord worth of black cherry.  Cutting through that wood was a fine experience.  I'm no saw expert, and have a fraction of the knowledge most of you guys have so can't comment about auto tune or anything like that...maybe over time.  Let's just say, it felt really comfortable in my hands.  I also wanted to so some limbing to see if I could sense the rev-boost.  Didn't have any trees that I wanted to fall (fell?)...so I attacked a patch of pretty thick Sumac that was overgrown in one spot, shading some white oak and white pine at the edge of a field.  I went through that stuff pretty fast.  So much so that I came *this* close to taking down a red pine that's blocking out a straight growing maple (not sure what variety) so that I could do some actual limbing.

Long story short...really happy with this purchase and I can't wait to get out again to put it through a longer test.   Thanks again for all the feedback everyone.   

Pine Ridge

Congratulations on your new 550xp. I bought one new last spring, i don't use it alot but i am very pleased with it when i do, i think you made a great choice and it sounds like you have a good dealer as well.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

John Mc

Did your dealer tell you about the proper breaking procedure? I don't own one of the autotune models yet, but if I recall, you are supposed to run them long and hard (bury them in some hardwood for a few long cuts) so the autotune sets itself up correctly?? Someone with more experience in this area can correct me if I'm wrong.

HolmenTree

You made an excellent choice grandgourmand.  550XP is the most potent 50cc out there at the moment.
As the owners manual says runs  them WOT in solid wood for 5 minutes to set them up right out of the box.

grandgourmand

Hopefully I did ok.  My dealer told me that I shouldn't hold back with this thing.  So I went straight for some bigger stuff.

HolmenTree

Yes, gone are the days of breaking in a new saw with extra oil and lower rpm running for the first 6 tanks.
My first experience with these new "broken in" saws was about 6 years ago when I ran in 3 brand new 576XP AutoTunes with a 32" bar buried in a  30" spruce. I was simply amazed.

Thank You Sponsors!