iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1st thing to do when the mill has been sitting...

Started by zopi, August 22, 2015, 08:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zopi

Dunk it in Hotshot.

I can run faster scared than they can fly mad though... ;D

Nine wasp nests in my mill. Little buggers.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Chuck White

They'll make a nest in any little hole or crevise that they can crawl into, and there are lots of places on a sawmill!

I think most of us can run pretty good when the bees are after us!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 22, 2015, 09:40:21 PM
Quote from: zopi on August 22, 2015, 08:54:08 PMNine wasp nests in my mill.
Maybe they thought that it was their sawmill.

Where there's a mill meal, there's a Magicman.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dustintheblood

Growing up I'd get them nasty buggers in my motocross helmet and just flick em off.

Got a bit older, and one day took a long sip from a mcd's cup thru the straw and one of them bit me on the lip.  Doc said next time I have 30 min to live.

Year later, bit again... doc said 20 min.

Year later bit again ... barely made it.  (live 25 min from hospital)

A month later.  Bit again....  drove like the dickens and almost thru the front door of emergency.  Made it... barely.  (doc slapped me up side the head for being stupid)

Four years later.  No bites since, but did get one of them epi pen thingies.  Just don't know where I put it.   :D
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

drobertson

It does not have to sit idle for them buggers to build, got hit a few weeks ago by what I call the hybrid, yellow jacket/waspers, mean little fellows,  and yea they got a shot of it too!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

And..... A sitting mill WILL gather mice too!  >:(

And then the Sawmill Gremlins take over!   ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

samandothers

x2 on Chuck's comment.  Mill sat a week.  One the 25 hp Koehler they build next in the cooling fan area behind the exterior screen cover.  Removed the cover and nest.  'Thought' I got all the mice out too!  Started the mill and found out different!   :o

xlogger

mill doesn't have to sit long, I run my mill 4-5 times a week and they still get in.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Chuck White

Seems like they only require a couple of hours of quiet time, before they move in!  ;)

zopi

Yeah...mouse nest atop the engine. Carb cleaned...oil changed...new battery...<click>
Bugger.  Clean al the connections...none were bad....jump the solenoid...fired up amd idled.
Good girl.
Set the blade and throttled her up...all good.
I will put a good blade in later on and cut a test log..or two...maybe three. But it will have to cool off first.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

cutterboy

I was gone most of May and when I got back I went through the mill with a can of W+H spray. I checked every place I thought the little buggers might nest. Like zopi I found and destroyed nine nests. However, when I started sawing more wasps came flying around me. I never seem to get them all. >:(
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

petefrom bearswamp

have had lots of mice and only one bee nest.
Luckily no apparent damage.
Ground up some babies once in the drive belt.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

When it's going to be a while before I will be using the mill, I will get a couple of sox that have reached their life expectency and put some mothballs or flakes in them and put one in each end of the main tube and one next to the engine.

That will keep "most" of the mice and bees/bugs out!

deadfall

Here in the PNW coast, where we had no winter, there have been plenty of wasps' nests.  Bad for bugs all around.  Been lucky so far in the numbers of stings.  Been spotting the nests before hearing and feeling them.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

pineywoods

Found a 3 ft long blacksnake inside the bandwheel cover. Didn't make any sense, then I found the wren nest....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

zopi

One thing you can do...take one 9f those miracle gro ot whatever garden hose dispensers amd fill that sucker with soap and spray down the whole mill....wait a bit amd rinse...you get a clean mill and dead bugs...the soap will wipe em out.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Just busted up a bradford pear trunk for dulcimer soundboards....mill is working fine.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Just busted up a bradford pear trunk for dulcimer soundboards....mill is working fine.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

Harbor Freight electric flyswatter. Awesome on wasps and other unliked species. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

I hit a couple of home runs this week. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Sixacresand

I dug out a bird nest with eggs that had hatched out.  I don't remember having that much downtime. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

zopi

It grew back together before I got done.

Went to fetch a fresh blade off the rack....three more wasp nests. Jeezzz...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

deepsouth.us

The red wasps got after me at the mill a couple days ago. Didn't have any wasp spray so I put water and dish soap in a pump up sprayer, and I'll be darned it worked. It doesn't drop them dead quite as quickly as the wasp spray, but it does kill them. The wide tip on the sprayer gives a nice pattern too. I now keep the pump up sprayer by the mill. It works well for soaking the channels in the frame, and for ground to air support.
Timberking 2000

Kbeitz

I keep gas in an old squirt oil can for hard starting engines and wasps... One squirt and they are dead...
Put some on the nest and they wont come back.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!