iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lightning struck tree

Started by music_boy, September 22, 2004, 04:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

music_boy

I got a line on a 3 ft dia. plus walnut tree that was struck by lightning back in the spring. It's mine for the taking down and sawing. Buddy of mine says it ain't worth fooling with cause the lightning has ruined the wood. It will have a tendency to come apart when it dries.  What's the concensus on this? I haven't had a chance to get a look at it yet. Is there something to look for to suggest it is worth my time and efforts?
Thanks in advance
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

Kirk_Allen

I haven't heard that legend before?

I have cut a few lighting struck trees with no problem.

Kirk

Fla._Deadheader

Might have been Electric Al ???, that posted a good while back about slivers getting under the roller guide from a litenin damaged tree ??? Don't take my word for it, I'm too tired to be sure of anything.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ohsoloco

I've sawn lightning-struck spruce and oak...and maybe a few others.  No problems with the wood, just the rotten spots where it started to die (lots 'o big grubs waaay up in that spruce).  If it is sound when you cut it, it should dry up just fine.  

jgoodhart

I cut a huge Red oak this summer that was struck by lighting and it had the trunk split inside the tree right down the middle. I got 745 bf of 4/4,  5/4, and 6/4 lumber out of it and the lighting ruined another 200 bf or so. Had a Poplar get hit along time ago and all it was good for was tooth picks couldn't even run the chain saw through it because it was grabbing and jumpin around, just rolled it down out of the yard and left it rot up.  I kind of figure the poplar was junk the whole top and half the trunks was laying up to 200' from the tree all that was standing was 30' of trunk, did I mension I was sitting in the garage door opening on a alumium lawn chair drinking a beer while watching the storm alot closer than 200', rolled me right out the chair :o. Now I get my beer and go hide. ;D  

DanG

You never know till you look inside it. If this is a poll, I vote to go for it. :)  If you don't wanna mess with it, it's only 800 miles up there, so I'll come get it. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

iain

"3 ft dia. plus walnut tree"
 that there above description is all the info you need to make your mind up

iain

Fla._Deadheader

I wuz too tired to make the same offer as DanG, BUT, I wuz thinkin it. Sooo, I will ride up there with ole Dang, and, me and him will share that there log. :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Hokiemill

Last summer I was visiting relatives in Wisconsin and they took me to meet a fellow who had stockpiles of lumber all over his property filling up a three car garage, a huge workshop, a shed, and plenty outside under tarps.  He showed me a stack of oak that he took down and had sawed.  It was killed by lightning.  After air drying for a good bit, it was obvious that most of the wood was useless - looked like shake splits were forming everywhere.  With that said, I'd definitely take my chances and go grab that beast.  Lots of money in that log and even if it doesn't all come out nice, the good wood you end up with was bought for the right price. ;D

scottr

Last winter I burned some Yellow Poplar heartwood that had been hit by lightning . It seemed to turn black and never burn to ash . Does  lightning struck wood take longer to dry if split or sawn ? Scott

rvrdivr

I have a big red oak thats been hit by lightning multiple times and it was still alive. The land owner cut it down and so far I have only cut it into sawable sections. It looks to be fine. I also wittnessed an oak being hit right next to my truck. After the storm I returned and saw the tree had split from top to bottom. I'm thinking every lightning hit tree will be different. If yours is 3 feet in diameter, I would think theres something to salvage at the least, if not the whole tree.

I have learned...when the geetins good, getit while you can! :D

Make sure to take lot-o-pictures.

billbobtlh

Let me send a red oak that was split in two and the bark was blown off. 50" --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/v438/billbobtlh/fireredoak3.jpg

beenthere

That lightning can get some powerful forces.
Big pic.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Yep to big. Not allowed. I changed it to a link.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

9shooter

I've got a 4' diameter walnut in my yard that took a direct hit this past spring. So far it seems to be ok, but I'll see how it looks in the spring. The way I understand it, when lightning hits a tree, it can boil the sap in it almost instantly. I saw a lodge pole pine in the Rockies that looked like a bomb went off in the middle. There was little left of the tree, and there were large splinters stuck in the ground for a 20 yrd radius around the stump. AWESOME. I think it just depends on where the electricity traveled through the tree to ground. Most of the strikes I see seem to cut a groove down the outside of the tree blowing bark off. I've heard that mortality can depend on species. Lightning seems to kill the white oaks that get hit in my neighborhood. I've got the 'ole eyeball on 2 such victums within a couple of miles of home. I just need a bigger saw...........
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

music_boy

Iains' logic is too correct. Just needed some other expert thoughts.
Dang and Fla D,, you guys can come up if you want. I got room to put you up and feed ya.Bet you could teach me a lick or two on the new mill and other stuff. Don't think you'll be goin home with much in the way of Walnut :D :D :D :D :D :D. Lessen you wanna help cut it, then I'd share.  :P HHuumm,,, not good in math, guess the food would have to be real good. I know the company is ;D
thanks ya'll.
I'll take pics
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

sawmillsi

Hi guys,

I have heard (and experienced for myself) that trees stuck by lightning are harder to cut and I have also heard that they don't burn all that well.

I've cut an English Elm that was struck and broke in half (big tree, each half was about 2½' diameter).

Simon

rebocardo

I cut a white oak hit by lightening, some wood was good, some not, I made it all firewood. I do know cutting the part that is burnt really dulls a saw because it is like cutting glass or coal.

shopteacher

Built a bedside stand  out of lighting struck wood. Have to keep it covered at night or it will keep you awake from the glow. And that's the truth, swear to the almighty. I wouldn't lie ta ya. Ya got's to believe me on this one. Really, bright as a new penny. Yes sir, she's glows in the dark, sure and rice is white.  ;)
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

DanG

Now Teech, I know you wouldn't knowingly blow no smoke on us, but are ya sure about that?  I mean, are ya sure it wasn't that shellac you bought at the Three Mile Island yard sale? ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

shopteacher

DanG,
   Much as i hates to admitt it, it was the clock radio glowing all this time.  Got to get these glasses fixed. :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

bighoss550

im curious as to whether it is true that lightning struck wood is colorful inside???? i have heard it said many times from oldtimers around here when there is a good lightning storm...... "u kids better go round up them gems in the mornin"

they tell me that lightning makes the pines and quakin asp turn red and gren inside???

Minnesota_boy

I've sawed a few lightning struck white pine and red pine and all I find inside is the normal wood color and splinters.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Tom

Me too.  If the lightening ran down the outside of the tree there isn't even any damage.  On the other hand, I've seen some that fell apart because the lightening bolt shattered it.

Most times when you see all those colors, they are mineral stains that would be there anyway.

crosscut

:)lightning is funny stuff in my experiance. with the pines ive run across if its a strong direct hit it makes some fine sawing sap seems to be set good clear wood . but if it runs down the side or indirect hit what it does is just stress the tree and the pine beetles actually do the killing. then i see the blue stain and beetle holes  :D then ya just let marketing do the rest charge extra for ecologically safe salvaged beetle killed denim wood rare stuff indeed

Thank You Sponsors!