iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting logs NE PA

Started by bkaimwood, August 21, 2015, 07:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkaimwood

Wasn't sure if this was the best place to post this, but I've been running thin and need some help...I've been sawing now for about a year and a half, and have yet to run into a reliable log supplier... Been through the tree service avenues, some local loggers....many guys are complaining about log prices being down and hard times...yet, with $ in hand, I have a hard time finding logs now worth putting on the mill, without 50% loss...input from my friends would be greatly appreciated... Better yet, someone in my area looking to start a log bromance, or referrals to such an outlet, would be appreciated... Thank you in advance!!!
bk

ga jones

I would say if your not getting the logs u want your not paying enough. Where are u. What town
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

bkaimwood

Oh yeah, forgot to put a region in there...I'm between Allentown and the Poconos... I wish paying enough was the issue...I can't even FIND white pine sawlogs in a region riddled with them, not that it's the only species I'm looking for...maple, some oak, and others...
bk

bkaimwood

You are about an hour and 15 minutes from me...very much within reasonable trucking distance...pm me if you might be able to help, and I welcome anyone else to do the same...thank you!!!
bk

Warped

I assume you're buying enough to make it worth their while? Do you take all they get, if not, maybe they're dealing where they know they will be taken consistently?
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

ScottInCabot

Quote from: Warped on August 22, 2015, 07:02:36 AM
     I assume you're buying enough to make it worth their while? Do you take all they get, if not, maybe they're dealing where they know they will be taken consistently?

Problem with paying for everything they bring....you end up with a lot of junk that's sometime not worth milling.  I certainly wouldn't pay good money for lumber logs to end up with over priced firewood or worse - pulpwood.

Ends up being a double-edged sword....

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

Warped

Quote from: ScottInCabot on August 22, 2015, 07:32:41 AM
Quote from: Warped on August 22, 2015, 07:02:36 AM

Problem with paying for everything they bring....you end up with a lot of junk that's sometime not worth milling.  I certainly wouldn't pay good money for lumber logs to end up with over priced firewood or worse - pulpwood.

Ends up being a double-edged sword....

Scott in Cabot
Certainly understand that. I just meant does he tell them he has enough at the moment and can't take anymore until he moves some inventory. Obviously not the problem at the moment, but has it happened in the past?
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

ga jones

30 cents scribner straight through here. Whithin 20 miles of home. If you can't get good reliable logs for 30 cents there must be a market elsewhere.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

bkaimwood

I started out getting logs by felling them as part of my wide scope contracting service...once I got rolling, dropped that part of my services for numerous reasons...made some tree service contacts I've been using, but they are extremely unreliable, and produce high percentages of garbage logs they want twice the average bf rate on...no kidding...I think some are part homeowner, and think the log they have laying in their yard is worth $1000...as for getting getting logs via logtruck? My point exactly, I have to find them in order to buy them...so obviously, turning away or being too picky is NOT an issue. I understand a triaxle won't have all gems on it, and ya gotta take a few uglies..I had a decent white pine supplier... I had been picking up loads on my own trailer...got a lot of nice logs, and took a few uglies...then reached an agreement for him to deliver in his dump truck...over twice the amount of wood with a small delivery charge...the entire load was garbage pine firewood you couldn't give away on craigslist with one lonely spruce worth putting on the mill, and the bill was 50 bucks more than we agreed on!! I called him and explained I understand you gotta take the good with the bad, so the next load should be good...I told him I'd meet him at his place to check out the logs on hand, and didn't mind paying more to be selective...turns out his while yard was full of the same garbage, bug infested, blue, boomerangs... Looks like I was in line to continue to get screwed...so anyway...30 cents a board foot? No problem...reasonable surcharge for delivery outside anyone normal home operating area? No problem. Taking full triaxle on a regular basis? No problem taking a couple uglies mixed in with the load? No problem
bk

bkaimwood

Still looking...finally found someone to bring me triaxles of #2 large pine at 50 cents a board foot...thinking I should have offered to bring him the same thing at 40 cents a board foot, then he could make 25% on the deal? I wanted to ask if it was already sawed...
bk

Jhenderson

I understand your situation and my  sympathies go to you, but look at it from my perspective. I've had many people over the years, with small operations come to me to buy logs, some hardwood but mostly pine. To a man, they all treat me like they are doing me a favor. They want to pick my pile and pay less than the going rate for logs. Even at better than the going price, why would I sell anybody 5-10 thousand bf, risk my relationship with long term buyers, and go out of my way to do it when I can sell an entire job to 1 mill with no grief? I don't even return calls anymore. It's not worth the aggravation.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: bkaimwood on August 25, 2015, 08:12:10 PM
Still looking...finally found someone to bring me triaxles of #2 large pine at 50 cents a board foot...thinking I should have offered to bring him the same thing at 40 cents a board foot, then he could make 25% on the deal? I wanted to ask if it was already sawed...
.50? you come down here with a truck and i'll load all the big yellow pine logs you want. .30 is all i can get for 400bft avrg delivered 10 miles away. i prolly have 200,000 ft of this to cut yet.

bkaimwood

I wish treeslayer....I'll look u up if I'm ever down your way!!! I'm the easiest guy to get along with...had a guy ask if I wanted to come to his landing to grade logs for my delivery, or if I was going to grade upon his arrival... I told him I didn't want to waste his time, as we both agreed he knew what wasn't worth putting on a mill, and I was basically just looking for #2's, any length over 8', no limit...even said I'd buck them...agreed on a price, slightly higher than the going rate...never heard from him again...
bk

t f flippo

bkaimwood, If you're coming to see  treeslayer,than you gotta come see me too. Well, you don't have too,but you'd be more than welcome. I'm not to far from him.

I'm in the same boat you are trying to get logs. There is not a shortage of logs here,there's a shortage of loggers ! I'm pretty much on the bottom of the list. Most of the loggers are locked in with the big mills. Very few independents left in our area. I've
probably got 4 or 5 loads of gatewood SYP sitting on the yard with no buyer/customer. I saw 80 to 90% hardwood.(When I have logs)

If the logger you had an agreement with hasn't called you back,call him back. Maybe there was a mix up of who's calling who.
Maybe he doesn't want to pick your saw logs,but would be ok with you choosing what you want at his landing. Worth a try.

Best of luck to you,and hang in there,  tc

PS Don't feel bad if treeslayer won't come see you. I've offered to have my wife bake him a sweet potato pie ......and I still can't get him to come visit me :laugh: :D

treeslayer2003

Quote from: t f flippo on August 31, 2015, 08:40:27 PM
bkaimwood, If you're coming to see  treeslayer,than you gotta come see me too. Well, you don't have too,but you'd be more than welcome. I'm not to far from him.

I'm in the same boat you are trying to get logs. There is not a shortage of logs here,there's a shortage of loggers ! I'm pretty much on the bottom of the list. Most of the loggers are locked in with the big mills. Very few independents left in our area. I've
probably got 4 or 5 loads of gatewood SYP sitting on the yard with no buyer/customer. I saw 80 to 90% hardwood.(When I have logs)

If the logger you had an agreement with hasn't called you back,call him back. Maybe there was a mix up of who's calling who.
Maybe he doesn't want to pick your saw logs,but would be ok with you choosing what you want at his landing. Worth a try.

Best of luck to you,and hang in there,  tc

PS Don't feel bad if treeslayer won't come see you. I've offered to have my wife bake him a sweet potato pie ......and I still can't get him to come visit me :laugh: :D
you better be care full with them pie offers mister lol.
to both you guys, you got to bug loggers a little bit..........we busy and tend to get in a rut. landing visits are good but at lunch time, and don't stay all day. that way you see what hes cutting and may make a deal right there. if he starts looking at his watch, its time to go.

flippo your right, it getting lonely in these woods..........well not really LOL.

bkaimwood

I make duck egg sandwiches for any delivery driver with logs on the back??!!!
bk

Thank You Sponsors!